1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Lull by Br33zy - T - Pokémon

Discussion in 'Games' started by Zeitgeist, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Author: Br33zy
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairing: Hints of Fortuneshipping
    Status: Work in Progress. (One Epilogue from finishing, however.)
    Summary: Sleep, dear child. Close those pretty blues, lovely child. I am not asking for much. I have nothing against you. I just want a taste. It's not like I'm going to KILL you or anything.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5854043/1/Lull

Okay, some of you may that even want to read this fic because it is by Breezy. For those of you who don't know, she's the famous author of that Hoenn League fic. However, that fic was a long time ago and Lull is a more recent offering of hers.

The fanfic is basically an exploration of the Cresselia/Darkrai event from D/P/Pt. Many DLP-ers would dislike it because its action is rather slow, and the fanfic focuses more on the relationship between Lucas and Dawn, which oscillates between an awkward friendship and a more awkward mutual attraction.

However, it has many strong points. Lucas's journal entries are an interesting way to start the chapters and strongly add to his characterisation. Breezy's exploration of how the events of the game (strong spoilers for D/P/Pt if you haven't played Pokémon) may have affected Lucas is surprisingly incisive. Her characterisation of Dawn is refreshing, different to how many would characterise her. She is a bit grating at times, but her portrayal is interesting, especially when it comes to her relationship with Lucas.

Lane is also a decent OC, if you care for that. Although I wouldn't really call him an OC, since he is Breezy's portrayal of the boy from the Darkrai event.

Bad points include a weak beginning and a story that doesn't really pick up until Lucas and Dawn are introduced. The lack of decent action scenes is also costly.

Overall, it is no Sun Soul. But I think it doesn't really try to be one. Since it focuses on one of the smaller and more low-key elements of the game, this fanfic wasn't bound to be an epic of any sort.

Nevertheless, a very decent character study.

My Rating: 4/5

2. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

I read this. It was pretty good, but I felt the ending was a bit rushed, especially regarding how Lane escapes the nightmare. It felt a bit too convenient in my opinion. 4/5

3. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

The ending was a little rushed, yeah. But it wasn't terribad, thankfully. We got to see Barry, and the Lucas/Dawn relationship was interesting.

To be honest, this story is a little too underrated on ff.net. It should have more reviews than that.