1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

My new books and call for submissions

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by jbern, Jun 13, 2011.

1. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

With Confessions of a D-List Supervillain ( www.amazon.com/Confessions-D-List-Supervillain-Jim-Bernheimer/dp/1461084741/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2 ) on sale since April and Dead Eye 2: The Skinwalker Conspiracies in editing with an expected August release, I'm now ready to take a stab at my next project.

Horror, Humor, and Heroes Volume 3 - New Faces of Science Fiction will be a science fiction anthology. Volume 2 has sold a respectable 655 copies as of this moment and the original is going to break 2000 total sales this month which is quite good for small/indy press.

Guidelines - I'm looking for authors who've got an original science fiction short story in mind and want to be published. This is a general science fiction antho which means no overall theme and I'm not going to be a stickler whether it is hard sci-fi or soft sci-fi. It just has to be a good story. Graphic sex, excessive gore, and violence directed against children don't interest me, because I'd like to actually sell books to the adult science fiction market.

For word count purposes, try to keep it under 5000 words.

Payment - One time payment of $50 for first world English rights to the story, in paperback, electronic, and audio formats. Reprint rights revert to the author after one year from date of publication. No royalties will be paid on this anthology. Last time, I offered $20 and a copy of the anthology. To keep things simpler, I'm just going to stick to money. If you want to order copies through me (which are discounted), that can be arranged.

Deadline - Final story selection will occur at the end of August with a publication date of late October or November in mind.

Contact me either by pm, email, or in this thread if interested.

2. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Well I'm out ;)

Seriously though, I might try to write something out for this. Time shall tell.

3. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Really? That's good to know.

This was a very good writing exercise the last time, if anyone is looking to participate. Entertaining at times, as well. Heh.

Good luck with it, Jim. I've an idea I may try and get off the ground.

Just so we're clear, what is your policy on quadruple-breasted space whores?

4. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Depends on what they're doing I guess.

By the way, have you done anything more with your Crystal Shores storyline?

5. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Short answer, yes.

Inasmuch that I pulled back on the extreme fantasy (such as the impossible, easy magic and the sky on fire) and made it more 'real'. Sitting at around 60,000 words, probably about halfway. Same general storyline, but a lot more developed.

Not even near completion, though. Heh.

6. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

5000 words seems so limiting... yet, I shall give it a go.

Need to go digging through old notes, now, since I've been focussed on fantasy-type stories for about 2 years straight.

Oh, just as an aside, how do you feel about exessive swearing?

7. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

If it is integral to the story, then go for it. If it serves no purpose, then it won't work.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

How do you feel about empty eye sockets that are on fire?

9. se7en

se7en Professor

How do you feel about me telling you that I want your man-babies?

10. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Fire makes everything better, so empty eye sockets on fire are obviously a step above just empty eye sockets.

Not into man-babies, but I'm flattered just the same.

11. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Actually, since one-shots are about all I have the patience to write anymore, I think I'll give this a try. Is there any date we need to have it submitted by besides August?

12. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

You can get it to me whenever you feel like you have a draft. I'll give you feedback. If you like the feedback and feel you can incorporate it into the story we can go to a 2nd draft. If not, it was fun.

Last time I recruited between 25 and 30 authors. I got 13 stories out of them. Some hit a block, others lost interest, and a few others sent a story in and it didn't look like a good fit so they withdrew.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

13. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds like something to aim for after the current contest finishes up. I'll see what I can come up with of a Sci-fi nature.

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

That's because you were a lost lamb and didn't ask me to write half a million stories for you, clearly. Do you prefer first or third person?

15. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

It does indeed. I'll email you a draft when I get it finished. Already got a few ideas I'm bouncing around.

16. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I'm not sure what Jim prefers, but last time the anthology comprised a mix of POV and included both past and present tense.

17. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Tell that to Laurell K. Hamilton.

Just saying.

Okay, not exactly science fiction, but the same audience for the most part.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  18. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Hm...

I don't have anything for a short piece, sadly. I've been working on an Odyssey-like story for a splinter-group of aliens fleeing the destruction of their homeland, but that seems a lot longer than what you want.

19. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

First or third works - whichever you prefer, Jon. I typically write in 1st person, but that's me. How long is your story Hashasheen? Sometimes anthologies do well with a 20-30k novella anchoring them.

20. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Haven't put any real writing down, to be honest. Still working on the concept, since I'd originally had it as part of a Charlton Comics rewrite that I ended up getting rid of. The idea was that they'd (the Droman) be survivors of a world destroyed by another alien species (the Uxerites), and colonize Mars. Captain Atom would meet with them and get the reveal of everything that went down, with Atom and a few of the Droman fighting off a scout-ship, whose crew would escape to inform their commanders of Droman survivors.:facepalm

The rewrite saw me thinking of it as something akin to the Odyssey/Trojan survivors founding Rome, with Droman survivors in a small fleet moving from system to system trying to escape their hunters, before arriving to our solar system. The focus would be rather dark for the most part, focusing characters trying to lead the rag-tag group and keep the fleet going with the parts necessary, flashbacks to the destruction of their homeworld, and generally see what was once a proud civilization devolve into little more than a group of old men, women and children trying to survive.

Edit: To be honest, I've been working more on a fantasy trilogy that I swear I thought up before ever hearing about Game of Thrones, dealing with a Deathsworn avenging his Emperor, surviving a powerful assassin, reuniting an empire and the final days of the Reunification War. I think I might put up a seperate thread for this.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011