1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter: The Wizard Mercenary

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Spacks, May 15, 2006.

1. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

Here's a fic I'm working on at the moment, I'm just thinking up some ideas and the plot at the moment.

SUMMARY: Harry finally gets sick of being shipped off to the Dursley's yearly, so he escapes before he even gets to Number 4 Privet drive! After escaping, he organises his future as an independent wizard capable of surviving everything Voldemort can throw at him.

Harry Potter: The Wizard Mercenary - Notes

Harry tells the Dursley's to pull over as they pass a bus station on the way out of London.Gets out and catches a bus to Charring Road.
    Purchases a house and hires some private contractors to place wards on the house.

Wards designed to knock out and forced-apparates anyone with the dark mark into a holding cell in a 20ft hole with anti-magic/anti-apparation wards set up. The hole has a thick metal door that holds 20 starving pigs that can be opened remotely to 'dispose' of corpses...

Harry employs Wizarding Mercenaries to guard him.
    After the wards are setup, Harry settles into his training regime. Praciticing spells and survival skills with the Mercenaries

Dumbledore visits the Dursleys after not receiving an owl every 3 days. Discovers Harry isn't there. Asks Snape if Harry's been captured. Snape denies that he has been

Dumbledore decides to let Harry come back on his own free will.

Harry visits gringotts and becomes the Head of the Potter Family. Harry receives 12 Grimmauld Place from Sirius' will. Harry goes to 12 Grimmauld Place and informs everyone that he's the new owner and that he's gonna burn it to the ground after he's taken the library for his new house.

Harry leaves and snape follows Harry back to his house where Snape is forced-apparates into the holding hole.

Harry interogates Snape. Harry then cuts the vein in his elbow and ties him to the ground in the 20ft hole in the ground with a room full of pigs.

Harry employs a squib to clean/maintain the house.

Harry buys the controlling interest of the Daily Prophet. Harry gets the editors to subtley begin planting the seed of doubt into the minds of the wizarding community.

Fudge gets thrown out and Rufus Scrimegore is appointed the new minister.

Rufus approaches Harry asks him to support the ministry. Harry agrees if they increase Auror/Hitwizard training/funding. Also start the process of improving magical creatures relations.

Harry gets the goblins to seize DE vaults for Hitwizard/Auror/Unspeakable training/funding.

Harry gets Fred and George to start mass producing a ball filled with strychnine that has holes in it that when activated a spell that replicates a gust of wind is performed inside the ball and the dust escapes into the air.

2. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Bah. Fred and George are nothing more then two kids who are creative at making prank objects, they aren't super inventors capable of creating SooperDooperVoldemortKillingBombs! So I'd def. take that part out. I like the Wizard Mercenary idea, as it seems pretty rare, everything else has been done before and is cliche'

3. Spacks

I don't remember reading any fics with squibs as cleaners.

Nor Harry killing Snape.

The will certainly is, but its not gonna be anything important. Harry'll be just left Grimmauld Place and the money left in the vault for Ministry use or something.

Now to address your Fred & George argument.

A ball with holes filled with a crushed up plant seed with a spell that replicates a gust of wind isn't rocket science.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  4. ixazncha0six

ixazncha0six Raptured to Hell

Whoah calm down Spacks, the man is just giving you constructive critiscm.You didn't need to bitch him out like that.

5. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    He was calm, and he didn't bitch him out. I saw nothing bitchy there.

Seems like a good challenge, though if not handled properly, i.e. capable author, could potentially be :stained

6. Spacks

Nah, theres gonna be no muggle weaponary at all.

It'll just be Harry being taught how to fight fire with fire by wands for hire who Harry hired as guards instead of piss poor trained Order of the Phoenix members.

7. ixazncha0six

ixazncha0six Raptured to Hell

He edited his post.

8. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Oh I see then.

9. Spacks

Yup, I edited so I didn't look like a complete asshat ^_^

10. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Over all it’s a good idea but I don't agree with a few point here.

1. I think Harry would go to Gringotts before buying the house. You need fund after all so he needs to visit his vault. There he’s informed of Sirius’s will reading at a later date etc.

2. Wards targeting anyone with the Dark mark. I don’t think that wards can be that specific, or if anyone has any idea how the mark is made to make wards that specific. Why not make it against anyone with ill intent will be placed in a holding cell. Then the owner can have a look and dispose/release them as required.

3. Again with the wards. I don’t think there are such things as anti-magic but probably magic suppressants.

4. Getting the goblins to seize anyone’s account will be difficult. There will be lots of negotiations involved.

Where are you going with this btw? Have you considered Harry starting his own mercenary army, instead of just body guards?

Its an interesting challenge so I hope to see you work soon.

11. Spacks

1. firstly the notes are just that, notes. Not a time line :D

2. I don't see why the wards couldn't target dark marks. All it would have to target is Voldemorts magical signature and your set. Obviously Harry would have to be exempt from that otherwise he'd keep ending up in teh 20 ft hole...

3. Now onto the anti-magic ward...this is fan fiction, I can do whatever I want :D

4. Hmm, I'll have to think something up :D
    Maybe appear in a press conference talking about mending Human/Goblin relations and fixing past grievances or something.

I'm planning on just having the mercs train Harry as part of their job (they'll get paid to train him aswell as guard his place) then having Harry go out and destroying the Death Eaters family estates (I.E do what Death Eaters do to Muggles) and then occassionally help Aurors/Hitwizards/Unspeakables with the help of Mad-Eye Moody and Kingsley maybe.

This is still in the planning process, so I'll be doing plenty of thinking :D

12. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Then why can't Harry do it himself? Seriously, having Fred and George create stuff for Harry to use against Death Eaters is one of the biggest cliche's there is. There is no logical reason why Fred and George are the only wizards with enough talent to create inane little toys to annoy dark wizards. At anyrate, don't let me prevent you from using what you want, I just don't like the fact that people always push for SooperDooperWeasleyWizards! with !Strategist!Ron, Fiery!GinnyWitDaSooperBatBoogey!, Einstien!FredGeorgeDaGenius', and MrWeasleyDaEnchanter!, ya know?

13. Spacks

I want Fred and George to create them because it'd be a good business oppurtunity, thus creating an income for Harry.

Understand?

P.S The ENTER key is your friend :)

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Ok, the biggest peevie with this plot is that everything is too easy.

If you can just buy a house and get it ultra-warded so that it's completely secure in 3 days, then why haven't James and Lily done something like that, instead of using some obscure last-ditch effort spell to hide them? Why don't all well-standing members of wizarding world protect themselves like that? Come on, give Voldemort some credit here. If it was THAT easy to hide from him, people wouldn't be so affraid.

Fred and George thing irks me as well, but not because it's unrealistic but because it's been done hundred times.

Anti-magic wards are another plot-hole. Yes, you can do what you want and all, but that would open up too many loose ends. Why don't they use wards like that in Azkaban (Sirius was able to transform) or around the homes of Muggleborns? Why wouldn't they use wards like this to fight Voldemort (make him into a muggle and shoot him)...

Pigs are an interesting idea, but I don't see why would Harry have to go all Hannibal Lector/Snatch on people, when he could transfigure bodies or burn them down using magic.

All in all, this idea DOES contain lots of clishes, but it can still be done right... It all depends on how your writing skills are and would you manage to pull this off without it looking like any other random independant!Harry story in fandom.

15. Spacks

Hmm. Bugger it.

I'll think of something else :D

16. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

The only hard thing i see....is harry getting in touch with the mercenaries. Then getting them to teach him anything. I dont think mercenaries would just teach you anything for money...if they do then they must not be good mercenaries...but i donno much about mercenaries so O'well. But I would read this if you write it.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

[​IMG]

18. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Cliche-galore.

I wish Harry would BECOME a mercenary.

And besides, YOU CAN'T USE THIS!, wouldn't Harry and Voldemort have the same Magical Signature?

19. Spacks

I don't see how...

The scar would have remnants of Voldemorts signature, yesh.

But oh well, I couldn't be fucked anymore.

I found a free WoW server :p