1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Time to Live by loralee1 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by nonjon, May 15, 2006.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Title: Time to Live
    Author: loralee1
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Pairing: None
    Summary: Post OotP No HBP Takes place summer after fifth year. After defeating Voldemort Harrry decides it's time for him to live his own life.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2856856/1/

This fic isn't ground-breaking or amazing. It's got typoes and flaws. Slightly humorous moments that'll make you chuckle. Bits perhaps very similar to "Make A Wish" and Mr. Black. But not too many. Mainly it's just after so many angst-filled tense fics and cliffhangers, I really like this one to just chill and read pleasant happy things for the characters. Dumbledore's a bit manipulative, Snape's a bit of an arsehead, the others try to control Harry some. But it's nice to read a fic where I don't question the authors motives or get irritated horribly because they're trying too hard to be different to the point that it's not fun or entertaining to read.

Plenty of small cliches, nothing really all that new, but one of the most pleasant and enjoyable reads for me at the moment. If that's all you're looking for, then I definitely recommend.

2. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I rather enjoyed this fic even if it appears to be heading towards Harry/Snape friendship, something that I dont like.

I love that Death Eaters seam to just appear around Harry but never manage to attack him, instead losing fights with the pool :D

3. Shuujaku

Shuujaku Fourth Year

Nonjon: considering your posted dislike of all things greasy with the name Snape, how is it you like this? Or has the boredom just been that bad to you...?

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This is surprisingly good fic. I was avoiding it until now coz I figured it was some H/G fluffy happily-ever-after bullshit, but it turned out quite interesting. Thanks for the heads-up, nonjon!

Oh, and about Snape... Dunno, I like his character here. For once, he's an emotional wreck, instead of Harry. Original, if nothing else. Also, Harry owning Snape without SLASH and perversions could be interesting....

5. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Eh, it was just...pointless.

Harry does this, Harry does that, blah blah blah, you now own Mr. Snape.

Yay.

It just seems like a ploy to make them best buds. No doubt the author loves the greasy bastard.

Yes, Harry gets a licsence to apparate, yes he goes to quidditch training camp, oh! He spreads the Weasley's market to America, look! he's taking his best friends to the Quidditch World cup, awww he likes Hermione, hey! he owns Snape, look! he took care of Death Eaters by accident...

see what I mean?

I don't see where this is heading, and it doesn't have the quality of humor that nonjon and Roschach's Blot have to make it entertaining enough to read without a plot twist, direction, and reason to read forward (ie, find out what happens).

I have to force myself to read this.

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Shuujaku, I do truly dislike Snape, but I wrote a trilogy with a nice Snape in it, so it's not like it's a dealbreaker for me. Of course that trilogy also included a Harry dating Ginny, so let's just be glad I've survived the DLP lynchings.

The more I think about it, the more I'm realizing why I enjoy this fic so much. It was the distinct absence of fics like this that helped give me most of my old plot bunnies. The absence of fun in so many fanfics. The idea that post-Voldie is some angsty sad post-war trauma stuff grated on me and I wanted to see Harry having fun for once.

If you expect much from this fic, you'll probably find it surprisingly average. But I think it's after reading things like other stories that would be so good if they just chose something differently. Like say, Lightning on the Wave's series wasn't slash or White Knight Grey Queen hadn't ended with a threesome. So many flashes of brilliance that I just wish were slightly different. This fic is the medicine to soothe my throat yelling about how great those others could have been. This is one pretty much exactly what you expect it to be. And the author's made the choices I was expecting and wanting to see. Maybe it's just I'm reading it at the right time, and in the right mood, but it's very satisfying to follow (I've been reading the new chapters as they come for about the last three or four). It's one I look forward to.

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, it doesn't have some great plot or big conflict, but it's still moderately interesting light read, with very low demands from the reader - you don't have to keep track of twists or get emotionally involved. Just relax and get your daily dose of fast-moving plot and light-hearted atmosphere, before moving on to something better. It's kinda like the fic "Bond" was before it became too mushy...

8. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I was enjoying this until Harry suddenly become sympathetic to the greaseball whose own ineptitude at teaching got his godfather killed. I, of course would also make sure the man who made my life hell for five years and whose own evidence of being a spy we've never seen at all got off scott free despite the tatoo on his arm. Ugh. This story was enjoyable, but now everywhere Harry goes, Snape goes. It's like reading a Harry/Ginny story, where the bitch follows Harry everywhere.

9. cu_cullen9

cu_cullen9 Second Year

After reading the last chapter I'm thinking harry freed snape just to fuck with dumbledors plan. but maybe that was just the way i read it. and hopefully soon snape disappears off somewhere and the story can continue.

10. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I think about five more chapters have been added since the last posting in may.
    ip82 has got this fic nailed, it is summer/beach reading.

11. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Another update, or more depending on what you think of the "out takes".

They can be found at her yahoo group "sisters of the write stuff"
    or http.loralee.livejournal.com

12. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I admit I like this fic quite a bit. I think I've read it twice. Nonjon is right about its light-hearted tone, and Amerision is right that not much of consequence happens. This is one of those fics you read when you need a break from the heavy-handed drama and angst.

I'd call it a 'guilty-pleasure' fic, but loralee is generally too good an author to write a story in that category. It's got a sequel, but I doubt it will ever be finished.

4/5 from me

13. Lawyer in Exile

Lawyer in Exile Second Year

It's a good idea to move some of the neglected stories over here to the for review section, so we can reevaluate them and get rid of the crap.

As for the story, no direction, no ideas, bottom line: no plot. And it's not funny either. Current rating (5/5) must be some fatal system error.

2/5.

14. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I used to consider this fic of pretty high quality, but upon a reread I have to admit that it's just your average Independent!Harry fic. Nothing that makes me cringe too badly, but there isn't really anything epic that stands out either.

3/5

15. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

That describes this author in general. Kind of competent writing, not distinguished by wonderful prose or much creativity. Her stories just blur into each other.

16. Anme

Anme Professor

A 3/5 sounds quite right for this fic. A decent fic but nothing special. I did like it more at the time I first read it.

17. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I liked this one a lot more when I first read it. I don't want to unfairly put the story down, but it hasn't aged well. As for a better review, Memory King pretty much nailed it. 3/5