1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Different Future Series- BtVS/SG-1

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by The Santi, Jun 25, 2011.

1. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Title: A Different Future Series
    Author: Cordyfan
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure:
    Summary: Cordelia is 'cursed' by a vengeance demon in L.A prior to meeting up with Angel.

Link:

Making the Quota

Someone Else's Mess

Fate's Little Plaything part 1

Fate's Little Plaything part 2

This is unquestionably my favorite Buffy the Vampire Slayer series. The story has a rather simplistic premise; Cordelia is cursed by a vengeance demon and joins the army. After the first story, which is essentially just a 4K word prequel, the author flawlessly incorporates the Stargate series into the BtVS verse making it one of the best crossovers I've ever read.

My only critique is that the story's timeline is very slow moving; however, the author does a good job of keeping the reader interested throughout the story.

Overall, this is a very entertaining and well developed story that I would highly recommend to any Stargate or Buffy fans.

4.5/5.

2. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

Cordelia has been turned into a mary sue which hates on the rest of the BtVS cast.

Do not want.

2/5.

3. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

This crossovers with SG and JAG/NCIS. This fandom and its writers seem incapable of writing any story that isn't a crossover in some way, and as such, I'm deducting 1 star for that. First one's all right. The circumstances as to how Cordelia gets into the army are meh, but it's just an excuse for plot so whatever. Though how the hell Cordelia got into the Airborne is beyond me. Granite Rock is a dumbass name that was not needed. 3/5 for the first one only.

Second one however... Major she reports to is straddling the line between flirtatious and harassment. Major General threatens higher-ranking officers should anything happen to Cordelia? Motherfucker, do they look black-ops? (Well, besides Jack...) Task Force Van Helsing? Cordelia, a no-combat Corporal somehow knows better than Initiative on military procedures? Cordelia agrees to join, but why is not explained, especially after her understandable (if dramatic) outburst.

... That's just the first chapter. The first chapter, Santi. 2/5.

I'm not reviewing the others, so 3/5 + 2/5 = 2.5/5 that is rounded down to 2/5.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  4. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Well, you're not wrong. Admittedly, I always skipped the first story, skimmed huge chunks of the second, and then read the third. The over the top reactions/outbursts tend to die off by chapter 8 in the second story, and, yeah, there are some wtf logic moments, but I still like it. The second story gets better as it goes on, and the third fic is of a higher standard.

I still say it's worth reading if you enjoy the fandom.

5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

See, there's a problem with this line of thinking. You can't expect someone to grit their teeth through two stories simply to get to the third

Enjoy BTVS you mean? Sure, I enjoy that. I just don't enjoy the crap its fans type up.

6. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Eh, maybe. I've grit my teeth a number of times through awkward early chapters -- we all probably have. If the story has an interesting or unique premise and shows continued improvement, I'll stick with it. I think this series does that.

Besides, the first story is only 4K words, the second, which gets better as it goes on, is like 50k, and the third story is 425K. So way more good than bad overall. I know the story isn't perfect, and maybe I ignore the problems a bit more than I would for a HP story since, I admit, I have a guilty pleasure for all semi-decent BtVS stories, but I still say it's good.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was quite excited to read this, when I first saw it. And I definitely didn't mind it too much when I started, and I was quite enjoying it around chapter 8 of the first big book. However, I then found that the writing lost any kind of formality in terms of the setting it was based in. It alone wouldn't of put me off, but the interaction between the character just became too fake.

There was too much badly written fluffyness involved. "Slay-sister" just annoyed me. Cordelia's "SLayer-lite" could of been pulled off well but it wasn't.

In the end, I quit around chapter 21. I just lost interest about what was happening. The plot was moving at ah horrendously slow rate, Glory was introduced at least 10 chapters before they had their first engagement with her.

I'm going to have to go with 2/5, for being barely readable.