1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto-Mentor Kakashi?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by TheWiseTomato, Jul 4, 2011.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looking for a fic with a bit of focus on Kakashi as a proper mentor for Team7. It was technically sound, and was better than the usual shit.

Few of the main points were Sarutobi trying to get Kakashi to take his job, Danzo spreading rumours about Kakashi losing his touch so he wouldn't be considered for Hokage, Sakura's parents were killed, there were a few confrontations between Kakashi and the other Rooke Genin instructors who believed the rumours about him. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

3. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Hmmmm....I appear to have crossed stories in my head. Sure as hell didn't think that this one started out with the scroll/kunai cliche.

Cheers.

4. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Was a little interested, saw it had scroll/kunai.

NOPE.jpg

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Was a little interested, saw pre time-skip Naruto say "imprisoned".
    Lolno

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    This isn't quite a match, but is close. It's an underrated, quality story in the fandom that's worth reading nonetheless.

Team 7 is Konoha's designator for teams with the chops to be legendary: The Sannin, the 4th's team, Kakashi's team, etc. In this story, Kakashi molds his students into a team on pace to eclipse the Sannin.

7. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

8. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    ...what?

Pers: Yeah, I've been following BLP for a while too. The awesome is strong in that one.

Nath: Tried to read it, but couldn't make it through the first chapter. Would work as a guilty pleasure fic, but a bit too trite for me atm.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This sounds terrible.

@Tomato: Do you remember Naruto as he was then? I'm pretty sure he couldn't spell his name right, never mind know and use words of this length.

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Meh. Your loss.

Like many stories of its ilk, there's a plausible event early in Naruto's life that leads to a change from his canon self.

Given how buff their canon selves are, it's not hard to imagine that a Team 7 that began at a higher level of skill, that remained together for years, and that were mentored by a Kakashi who had his shit together would be world beaters.

11. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Perhaps, but I don't see that as a good enough reason not to read something...

Also, Pers is right.
    In the most recent chapter, Team 7 conquered Wind Country like ninjas.
    How can that not sound like an Epic story?

12. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yea not gonna lie this is my guilty pleasure fic. I read every chapter when it comes out and they truly act like ninjas. Handling shit like fucking bosses.

13. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I'm reading this and I know its incredibly common but it always irritates me when it immediately goes into that precious people spiel, while I do like this just for once I'd like to never see the words "precious people" pop up.

14. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

People Lie.

It's not really relevant to the thread, but if the term 'precious people' ever shows up in that universe, it's probably just Naruto being a magnificent bastard.

15. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

+1 on People Lie.

Pretty fun fic, with some interesting interactions between Naruto, Sasuke and Hinata (Yeah, Sakura got fucked off the team). It's probably the only story where I actually like Hinata's role. Note I said role, not character. She's creepy as fuck.

The spin off he seems to be focusing on, Ask Me No Questions, is not bad...I guess he went over to that after running out of ideas for People Lie.

16. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Long story short, after some RL issues and playing on ideas he had, he lost where he was going with People Lie. He started Ask Me No Questions as a spin off to work on while he figured out how to get People Lie back on track, and it's been updated since. Last I heard, it was probably going to be the next update. For a while he was working on a novel, but after he put out a bit a few years back the google group has been pretty dead, aside from a notice that he's still alive, just dealing with RL shit.

17. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

The Best Laid Plans was actually pretty well known on a demon's desire forum (for those who don't know it was basically the Naruto version of this sight). It started off being pretty well recommended but there was some beef with the author (mainly down to him not taking active criticism and generally being a prick). After that he kind of went his own way.

I wouldn't even call it a guilty pleasure. It's a comparatively solid read in a pretty crappy fanon.

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Good recommendation. I started reading it tonight and am enjoying it. I do find myself slightly put off by this Kakashi, but that's fairly minor and it's explained well. Thanks man, probably a solid 4/5.

19. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

I have seen "The Best Laid Plans" before on some users favourites list, but description put me off. When I saw DLP member recommending it, I just had to give it chance. I'm not disappoint, it's pretty nice fiction, which updates' I will follow closely in future. Only possible conflict discourages me, Konoha alone versus 3 major village. It's little unrealistic for them to win this war.
    Hw, could you give link for this board? I google'd and couldn't find it anywhere.

20. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

"They've loaded things my way, but now they're loading it all against me."

The author's been doing precisely that here, what with
    Konoha's complete anticipation and repulsion of the Chunin Exam invasion, subsequent occupations of Tea Country and Wind Country, and annexation of Oto's most promising nin. Hi no Kuni and Konoha's had three years to marshall its forces on the ground, raise a powerful naval force, and assemble a team of anti-S-rankers in Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke to join the likes of Jiraiya, Tsunade, and presumably Kakashi.
    Konoha's been a massive top dog for several years, and recent events should put them in an appropriately desperate situation. Should be a close and interesting conflict.

I've seen this fic several times around and couldn't get past the first few chapters for lack of interest in a more militant Konoha. Per's recc convinced me to give it a chance, and, except for some tangential reservations, I'd say the author's done fair justice to the idea. Could be a 4/5.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011