1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Gunslinger and the Mage by Voice of the Nephilim - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Voice of the Nephilim, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Title: The Gunslinger and the Mage
    Author: Voice of the Nephilim
    Rating: M
    DLP Category: The Alternates (Harry Potter / Dark Tower crossover)
    Pairing: n/a
    Words: 26,026
    Published: July 8, 2011

Summary: In an abandoned Way Station surrounded by endless desert, Harry Potter awakes, with no memory of his arrival. Alone, sanity fraying, salvation comes from an unexpected source: Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger. A Harry Potter / Dark Tower crossover.

The winning entry into June's DLP Crossover contest. Follows the general framework of the first Dark Tower book, from Harry's POV. Knowledge of the Dark Tower not required, but certainly is a good thing, considering how awesome the Dark Tower series is.

This version comes complete with a bonus guest scene written by none other than Captain Joe, resident overseer of all that is epic in the HP fandom.

Enjoy.

Checked by Minion, January 11, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  2. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

This has to be the easiest post to make. Ever.

The combination of Stephen King, atmospheric descriptions, and a Harry who makes canonical sense while being likable...

5/5. Library-worthy, definitely.

I wonder how a conversation between Susannah and Harry would go. Hm.

3. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    I do like this. The pieces fit.

Stephen King is one of my favorite writers, but I only liked Dark Tower 1-4. The Gunslinger was the most atmospheric for me.

Moar please.

4. Goreshade

Goreshade Fourth Year

This fic better have six damn sequels. (Please?)

Joe
  5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, I haven't read the Dark Tower books, so I think I missed some of the finer aspects, but I really enjoyed this just for the writing. Wonderful stuff (and Joe's coda isn't bad either ;) )

5/5

6. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

I never read Stephen King. Aside from the writing, how good is this fic for someone with no knowledge of Dark Tower?

7. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Rather good as this takes part AFTER the books ending because he has a new item.

Basically he is constantly reliving his journey to the Dark Tower because he has not redeemed himself but each time he betters himself so he is granted something from his journey to help him in the next one.

Somewhat similar to Joe's Wastelands except Roland is being punished.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't think you need Dark Tower knowledge to read and enjoy this. The premise is fairly simple (not basic or uninspired, just simple). The only thing you really might want to know is a major spoiler for the Dark Tower series, which I'll include below.
    Basically Roland goes on a journey to the Dark Tower, but when he gets there and reaches his destination he is forced to sort of start over (you don't find this out until the epilogue at the end of the 7-part books series). But he can't remember that he's already made this journey many, many times so every time feels like his first. However at the end of the Dark Tower series it's implied that the next time might be different, and this short story is that "next time" or at least a future excursion. Reaching the Dark Tower is his singular goal.
    I think that's right anyway. I only read this series of books once years ago when the 7th one was released (I think). My knowledge of details is fuzzy.

Anyway -- I sort of reviewed this over in the June Stories thread, but I'll say it again here. Fantastic work, and a solid 4.5/5 that I'll round up to 5. I really like the age you picked for Harry in this one as well as his characterization. Their journey is well done and feels like it meshes will both series of books. I can't think of anything that needs improvement or doesn't feel right -- and it was just plain fun to read. Even the parts where not a lot is going on (like when Harry is knocking around the Waystation) are interesting and I never once felt like skimming.

:awesome

9. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

That said, if you have reasonably certain plans of reading the Dark Tower series at some point in the future, you might want to hold off on reading too much of any future chapters of this fic. It sounds like this fic is going to follow some (most?) of the major plot points of the original series. If that's the case, then it would be like reading a Harry Potter time travel canon redo fanfic before reading the actual Harry Potter series.

This was great stuff, VotN. 4.5/5 here as well.