1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned All Good Things by Zephros - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rayndeon, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Title: All Good Things
    Author: Zephros
    Rating: T
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: n/a
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 38,982
    Updated: July 15, 2011
    Published: June 10, 2011

Summary: Bereft in a new world, one seemingly absent of a known danger, he must make a new life; haunted by both his past and by familiar faces acting in strange new ways. Yet, there is a lesson he must learn. That all good things come with sacrifice.

Pretty interesting story so far. Harry basically gets placed into alternate Harry's mind and has eke out existence in an alternate world. Author just finished Year 1.

Checked by Minion, January 11, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You fucked up C&P. That said, you probably posted this too early. While the last chapter was really good, we don't have enough of an idea of the plot and direction that the story is taking to rate it properly. I'd have waited for at least part of year 2...

Anyways, I'd probably rate a 4/5.

3. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

The author, I think, is trying too hard, being too verbose. Hence, the prose appear to be rather forced.

Portrayal of Harry in this story is much better than many AU stories. For example, this story shows how an adult would be bored and annoyed by firsties. But he could be made more proactive. It seems he is content to wait until the bad-guy showed up. Not particularly something a war veteran would do.

Lily & James are too accepting of what happened to their son. More baffling is the verdict of Harry's shrink. I still don't understand why he's not diagnosed with Schizophrenia or MPD.

The duel Between Voldemort and Flamel is well done with reasonable amount of details. I'm looking forward to more battle scenes since it looks like things are going sour soon.

Overall: 3/5.

4. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I really liked it. I thought that the writing was well done, and there doesn't seem to be one obvious point of divergence, but I don't really care for the overdone "Now I'm more powerful BUT WAIT here's an even MORE powerful enemy!!!" plotline. The bad guy seems to be too powerful, and I don't really see a reason for it at this point. I hope the author's not going for the "You messed with the laws of reality now here's a super-soldier-thingy for you to fight!!" angle. I'm really tired of the universe-as-conscious-entity storyline.

Also, the enemy is called Lord Voldemort, but doesn't appear to in any way (or for any reason) BE Lord Voldemort. What's up with that???

3.5/5 right now. Good enough to stick with it, imo.

5. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

This is really, really dry. Technically well-written but doesn't really have anything that draws you in. And I love alternate dimension/time travelling stories.

6. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

I'm enjoying two things about this story:

1. How separate Harry remains from his peers. Most of these fics have him, wrongly IMO, seamlessly integrated with children with no issues.

2. This is a proper AU. It still keeps some of the same canon beats but a lot of things are different enough to make it a fresh read.

That said, I agree with T3t. The story needs to develop some more before it can be properly rated.

7. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

I reviewed it on FF.net and Zephros replied via PM.
    Apparently Harry's parents' generation were still of the same age as their canon counterparts, and Orion (Sirius' son, fifth year Slytherin) was born during Sirius' sixth/seventh year summer.

(1) I thought he came to this world via the Veil, as in, at the end of 5th year? Correct me if I was wrong.
    (2) Lack of noticeable bad-guy = no apparent target.
    (3) No Schizophrenia or MPD in Magical World I guess :facepalm

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  8. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

I don't think the method of arrival was alluded to in this story,
    The bad guy has been made apparent to Harry, in the form of the un-killable assassin in the Forbidden Forest.
    It is apparent that magical people get diseases of mind (The original Harry was afflicted with one, remember?). So, Schizophrenia or MPD CAN exist in the author's version of Magical world. May be author simply forgot about this.

9. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

(1) I quote from chapter 1 of the story:
    (2) Perhaps I didn't explain it properly. The creature was like the troll in Harry's first year; it showed an attack but not who the mastermind was.

10. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

In Zephros' old deleted story, Voldemort had created the regenerating crow scythe beast, the shadow assassin, and some indomitable knight thing. Since two of them have made an appearance (one visibly working with Voldemort) I think it's safe to say the three of them are under his command.

As for Voldemort himself, I think it's likely that Riddle is using a Time Turner to give himself the spare time to go about being evil and all. It appears that nothing like the First War happened here, and Voldemort has instead chosen to build up his powerbase in secret for much longer.

I really hope this doesn't turn into a crippled!Harry story, but I'm definitely fearing something like that being the results of the chapter.

11. Brown

Brown Third Year

Plotting and ideas are interesting, but the prose is weirdly flat and Zephros has no clue how to maintain a character's voice and no ear for dialogue.

2.5/5

12. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I rated it a 3/5.

The prologue was brilliant, I absolutely loved it. The writer obviously spent a lot of time refining and rewriting that bitch till it was sparkling.

But, unfortunately, it looks like Zephros decided that regular updates are more important than quality and it really shows. The prologue was C2 material. The rest was Recycling Bin material. I almost gave up on it but kept going and read all five chapters hoping for some improvement.

We are getting some signs of an original plot with the Reaper etc but it's come too late for it to really be top notch material.

Overall, Zephros is obviously capable of some fantastic writing but he needs to pull his socks up. If the updates are good enough nobody gives a shit that they come once a month or even once every six.

Dude, seriously, you could do way better if you really really really took your time on those chapters.

If the quality stays the same as it is then it shouldn't go in the library.

13. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

Basically this, and Zephros himself (herself?) has noted this very problem in chapter 4:s A/N.

14. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

4.5/5 IMO, I like this story, and it's waaaaaaay better than any fic thats come out recently. I wish he hadn't discontinued RE though, since that was a lot more original.

Some stuff is a bit flat but Zeph has shown himself willing to recognize his failings and work to remedy them.

15. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mechanically well written, but not intriguing, not interesting, not captivating. As I said, its mechanically well written, as though for a writing assignment or something. Its like the author wasn't that interested in it either.

3/5