1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasy suggestions

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Remmy, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Remmy

Remmy Fourth Year

I'm off to Water Stones tomorrow first thing in the morning and I just received my pay cheque. After making deductions for savings and such, I have a grand total of £150 saved up for a book shopping spree!!

Which brings me to my point: I need DLP's best of the best suggestions for fantasy-based novels. I loved Harry Potter (obviously), Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are some of my all-time favourites. I even went through Percy Jackson and the Olympians via the local library when I read the huge discussion on it here, and was not disappointed. I'm definitely going to be picking up the Dresden Files tomorrow, but I need more suggestions for epic, adult, fantasy fiction novels. I've read a lot of childish fantasy books when I was younger, but as I got into my teens I developed an obsession for the classics that lasted well into Uni. So now I want to go back to my roots (in a fashion).

If you guys could provide a small summary of what your suggested novel is about I would be really grateful.

Thanks!
    Remmy.

2. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Are you looking for good series, or are you looking for a classic series? Either way, Sword of Truth is a good one, IMHO.

3. Remmy

Remmy Fourth Year

I'm looking for a good series, whether its classic or not is irrelevant.

4. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

I had a lot of fun with the Sword of Truth series, at least the first twelve books (In Sweden they split the books so I think the entire series is 16 books or so).

The Amber series by Roger Zelazny is also quite good, have not read it in a long time though but remember being entertained.

Then there is always Game of Thrones, a series that I'm about to begin reading.
    Nowadays I mostly read non-fictional history books though so can't be of much assistance. Why read a made up story when reality is just as exiting and you can learn a thing or five in the process?

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I wouldn't use Sword of Truth to light my grill, much less imprint the story onto my brain (and I'm morally opposed to giving the author any money since he's a dimwitted douchebag), but I seem to be in the minority here on DLP.

As for fantasy series I'd recommend: The Black Company by Glen Cook; Discworld by Sir Terry Pratchett; The Book of the New Son by Gene Wolfe; George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

As with any series, I'd recommend you read the first book before you invest in the set. Tastes vary widely enough that you don't want to sink a hundred bucks into something that isn't really to your liking.

6. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Seconded.

When I reread the Sword of Truth a year or so ago I could understand how bad it was on an intellectual level but still enjoyed it for some reason. As I said though, the last books are a bit to far-fetched.

7. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

The Silmarillion. Started it last week, brilliant, brilliant novel so far. Unfinished Tales might be worth a try, I have it but haven't read any of it yet.

8. Remmy

Remmy Fourth Year

These are some amazing rec's guys! I've been wikipedia-ing these titles to get a gist of the story and I'm becoming more and more excited. Can't wait for tomorrow!

By all means, all recommendations are welcome. I have all day tomorrow to browse through all these books and buy whatever.

Thanks again!

9. gamingguru

gamingguru Fourth Year

Couldn't disagree more. The Sword of Truth series does nothing but spout philosophical and random arcane bullshit for 80% of the books. Terrible series, and the worst slog I've ever had.

As far as a rec, the obligatory WoT rec, and if you haven't already you definitely need to check out the Game of Thrones series. Phenomenal series, though not yet complete. Also highly recommend anything by Neil Gaiman such as American Gods, Anansi Boys, Neverwhere, Stardust, Good Omens, all of which are terrific.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I can't second Pers' and Stenstyren's recommendation of A Song of Ice and Fire enough.

11. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

Okay, you've already received some pretty good suggestions, but here are my two cents.

For entertainment purposes, I'm always a fan of books like The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It's about a con artist and chock full of action from what I remember.

You also can't go wrong with The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, and I'm surprised I haven't seen recommendations for it already in this thread (or maybe I missed them).

If you like the Dresden Files, try Butcher's other series, Codex Alera.

But, if you are looking for more adult fantasies epic in scope, you can't go wrong with Perspicacity's recommendations. Also, I have not read these, but popular ones include Mazalan Book of the Fallen by Erikson. And my friend has read The Way of Kings, Sanderson's newest offering, and said good things.

That said, there are a LOT of fantasy books to choose from. And if you are going to buy instead of borrow, be very selective!

12. gamingguru

gamingguru Fourth Year

Can't believe I forgot this, but yeah. Way of Kings is awesome, and the Mistborn Trilogy is really good as well. Sanderson ftw

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll second the Malazan: Book of the Fallen recommendation. I've read the first one and it's a delightful read with characters that hooked me in every time I picked up my Kindle. Lucky pick for something I just happened upon in a moment of boredom.

15. Johndoe022

Johndoe022 Third Year

Wow simply amazing, the Sword of Truth is a great series......until the author gives us the most lame ass ending of all fucking time. Decent fantasy read is Robert Jordans wheel of time series It has about 12-13 books in it will keep you busy for a long time.

16. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sword of Truth is an awful series. Even the first book is awful...

Many of the suggestions already given are excellent, I'd just add anything by Trudi Canavan (best to start with The Black Magician Trilogy). Beyond that, hmmmm. The Rai-Kirah trilogy by Carol Berg and the Secret Texts trilogy by Holly Lisle are both well worth it.

17. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Right now I'm reading Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson and enjoying it.

Know what's great about this story though? It's free in pdf format on the author's website right here.

18. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

If you want to grab some 'B-List' fantasy, look up the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogies by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. The first trilogy is basically a take on a pretty standard 'D&D-esque' fantasy quest - but with three-dimensional characters that are actually pretty engaging. And the Legends trilogy (the sequel trilogy), is just fucking fantastic, take my word on this. Either way, the stories are surprisingly breezy and easy reads, something you really can't say about the Malazan books.

19. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

The Black Company by Glen Cook.

Sword of Truth is a difficult series, the first few books are interesting and have some of the best female Characters I have seen in Fantasy, but the later books aren´t that good.

And if you like Tolkien I find the Children of Hurin a very good book.

20. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

The only thing I can think of to recommend that has not been mentioned allready is The Belgariad and it's sequel The Malloreon by David Eddings.