1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ubuntu/Wubi

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Starwind, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I've had this suggested to me quite a lot for the past couple of weeks, I'm hesitant to try it, the reviews seem pretty decent, but was wondering if anyone here has used it and can offer a comment or two?

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I've never used WUBI personally, always just dual-boot. Installing a dual-boot really isn't that difficult, just make sure you have another computer ready in case you need to fix the MBR for windows.

3. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I haven't used it either, just because I prefer having Linux on a completely separate partition. But I know people who have and it apparently works great. Why are you hesitant?

4. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

It would be my first time actually installing something related to the os that isn't Windows. I've used Linux and Mac stuff, but never messed around with anything in the os, and I'm worried about screwing it up. :) Also wether it lags the computer's speed at all.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's extremely easy to install Wubi , but I too recommend dual-boot, much better because of the file system difference. If you use wubi, somethings could mix up and make the whole system a little crazy. But if you are a basic user then I say go for it.

6. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Well, Ubuntu is pretty easy to install either way, but Wubi is less work and probably harder to screw up. There's no lag or anything -- inside Ubuntu, you can't even tell the difference. It's also easier to uninstall if you decide you don't like it, or want to start over, or whatever.

Personally I find it quite magical, even though I don't use it. When I first heard about it I was like, no way could that work. :p But it does, and (apparently) quite seamlessly. Definitely a brilliant idea from the Ubuntu developers.

7. Nae

Nae The Violent

WUBI is extremely easy to install. You won't have any problems installing, it's pretty user friendly. And , no, there won't be a 'lag' with the file system. A folder called 'Ubuntu' the size of your partition would be created inside your Windows drive of choice. If you deliberately mess around with that folder, yes, bad things will happen.

Still, I'll recommend a Live CD, simply because when things go wrong in Windows, it gets harder to screw your Ubuntu installation this way.

8. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

WUBI is nice and all, but it limits how big your "hard drive" (40 GB, I believe - which is good enough for a secondary OS, but not a primary) is, and doesn't let you set up the partitions however you want.

9. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, I'm posting from my brand-spanking-new Ubuntu 10.04 installation. So far I'm loving the speed everything runs at.. but I'm an absolute newb when it comes to actually using the OS to It's fullest potential.

I decided to use it because I've heard for years that it's more modifiable, secure, faster, lightweight, and stable. All of that sounds absolutely grand, especially after having a rash of issues with my Win 7.

I was wondering if any experienced Linux/Ubuntu users had recommendations for resources to learn from / packages to get / general mistakes to avoid?

10. Nae

Nae The Violent

Here and here

If you wanna learn the basics of the terminal (which you should) : Here

Also, #ubuntu at freenode is a great place for the newbies. They usually help you out with problems, you just have to be a little patient.

My advice, stick to the small stuff in the beginning, and don't follow any guide religiously. And if you mess something(which you will), google it first. Most likely you'll find the solution online. If not, then IRC.

Welcome, linux-fag.

11. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll put a more coherent (read: awake) reply here later. But for now?

THANK YOU.

All three of those pages were quite useful, and have been bookmarked, clearing up quite a few of my issues. Including that nasty Nvidia driver problem I had going on.

12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

13. Nae

Nae The Violent

And then kill yourself.

/still haven't managed to solve that desktop manager problem.

14. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I'd love to, but most - if not all - of my daily-use programs require Gnome. And there's no way in HELL I'm switching to Gnome 3. Fuck that shit with a giant monkey. (I read somewhere that Arch doesn't have Gnome 2 support anymore...)

@OP: Congrats on picking up Ubuntu before it went to shit. Pro tip: Don't upgrade past 10.10. Unity is even worse than Gnome Shell. Gnome Shell, on the other hand, is worse than cutting your own balls off with a rusty spoon.

Edit: If you're not a Macfag, and want your buttons back on the right* side of the screen, here you go.

*in both senses of the word. :awesome

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011