1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best books in the Star Wars EU.

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Innomine, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Alright, so basically after finally finishing Blank101s Star Wars trilogy (fuck it was good, if you haven't read it, read it now) I feel like reading more Star Wars. I went to wikipedia, and found a list of Star Wars books.

There are well over a fucking 100 of them...

So, basically, which books are worth reading? I mean, something that's vaguely familiar in terms of the moves, or in regards to KOTOR would be preferable, but if there's something standalone that's absolutely brilliant, I wouldn't say no.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I've heard good things about the Thrawn books.

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Consisting of Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command, these were the first Star Wars books I read and they remain the best. Plus, these books introduced Mara Jade to the EU.

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like from Zahn The outbound flight and the Survivor's Quest. Of course the Thrawn trilogy is very good too. You could also read the Jedi Academy series.

5. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I have only read the Han Solo trilogy. They were a nice read.

6. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I haven't read them in many years but the Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command) by Timothy Zahn was, as I recall, pretty good. Grand Admiral Thrawn is a great villain. It's set sometime after the original trilogy and was written long before the prequel trilogy came along, so the author wasn't able to play around with past events much. Still, the story is good.

7. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

Thrawn series all the way. Other than that, right now I am listening to an audiobook version of Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber. It's all right. It combines Star Wars and the undead, so that should give you a pretty good indicator of whether you will enjoy it or not.

8. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Joining everyone in Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy recommandation. I wish Lucas had adapted those instead of doing the prequels.

I'd add Shadows of the Empire (takes place between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi), and Truce at Bakura (begins days after the battle of Endor).

The X-Wing series is pretty good too, covers the 4 years between Return of the Jedi and the Thrawn trilogy.

I'm not really into Old Republic stuff, so I'll leave at that ; I think it covers the must-read of the After Yavin extended universe.

9. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

Not to go off topic, (even though I am) but are there any good Old Republic books out there. I never picked up any of the ones for the MMO for fear they would be utter shit. If they're not, or there are others that are readable, I need to know.

10. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In a few months I forget the exact date they are going to be releasing a TOR novel focusing on Revan. The first one thats out right now is also worth a read.

11. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I've been considering reading The Old Republic: Deceived but it's not exactly a priority at the moment. What I really wish a good author would get permission to write is a Knights of the Old Republic novel. KOTOR and The Sith Lords would both make for awesome stories if done well.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The first 2 Bane novels are good for old republic. I personally liked the new jedi order series, but it doesn't get really good till Star by Star, Rebel Stand, Rebel Dream, and Destinys Way and there are several books in that series before you get that far.

But like everyone has said Thrawn series, x-wing series, and I always like the Corellia series.

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know if it counts as EU, but the Revenge of the Sith novelization by Matthew Stover was pretty good. Better than the movie, at any rate.

Besides that, Shadows of the Empire was entertaining.

14. Torak

Torak Death Eater

That shit was epic. I recommend the whole Dark Lord Trilogy Labyrinth Of Evil, Revenge Of The Sith, and last but not least Dark Lord The Rise Of Darth Vader.

15. Errant

Errant First Year

The Jedi Academy series penned by Kevin J. Andereson? Why?

I'll echo the Thrawn trilogy and the X-wing books, and I know I'll be in a small minority on this but I liked Traitor by Mattew Stover and the Enemy Lines duology by Aaron Alston. All three from the NJO series.

16. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you notice I said that he could read it, not that it was good. Still I think it's worth to read it once.

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I have a massive collection of those EU books that I haven't read in like, 10 years...but my favorites probably were:

Han Solo Trilogy
    Jedi Academy Trilogy
    The Crystal Star
    The New Rebellion
    The Truce at Bakura
    The X-Wing Books

I think rereading them now, I probably wouldn't enjoy them as much. And compared to Blank101's stuff...well...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  18. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    One of the best recent-ish books in Star Wars, in my opinion, is Timothy Zahn's Allegiance: all the awesomeness of the Thrawn Trilogy minus ysalmir. But Yeah, Thrawn Trilogy is boss, too, the X-Wing series is great, Death Troopers is okay, Matt Stover's adaptation of Revenge of the Sith rocks, and Kevin J anderson needs to go suck a very large dick.

19. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Revenge of the Sith was easily of the best books period. In fact im gonna have to dig it out. I didn't care as much about the Jedi Academy trilogy but I really liked I, Jedi.

Traitor is another good New Jedi Order book.

20. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Your mileage may massively vary on the New Jedi Order books, but like others here I really liked Traitor and Star by Star.