1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect Movie Details

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Krogan, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So just a quick article I found, in a recent interview with the producers of the upcoming Mass Effect movie they have confirmed three huge details.

1. No FemShep, Shepard will be male.
    2. It will be an original story set in the Mass Effect universe.
    3. Seth Green won't be playing Joker.
    Mass Effect Movie Link.

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was hoping they wouldn't touch Shepard at all, but I suppose that was too much to expect.

Oh come on. Have him grow a beard and put a hat on and he looks exactly like him. Or close enough for people not to even give a shit.

Who the hell's going to play him then? Or Shepard, for that matter...

This better not be considered definitive canon or anything. I really hate it when these kind of games make all my decisions "not count" to favor their own version of events. I've liked that Mass Effect has avoided it for the most part so far with none of the comics or novels really touching upon Shepard's gender and whatnot.

3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Being an original story is a bit concerning. I see a boring cookie-cutter Hollywood film that ignores most of what makes Mass Effect interesting ahead.

Lack of FemShep is annoying, but not really a surprise; action heroes generally default to male, and Bioware generally makes it clear they consider ManShep the official version, even if the fans prefer FemShep. Also, I think a chunk of FemShep's popularity stems from having a much better voice actress for FemShep than ManShep's actor (at least, that's why I generally prefer playing a FemShep), which is obviously a non-issue when the parts are being recast.

No Seth Green as joker is also slightly disappointing; he might not look that much like the character normally, but you'd think they could handle most of that with makeup and/or digital tweaking. Plus, I'd think most fans would be fine with him not looking exactly like the character in exchange for actually getting the right actor in the part.

4. Nae

Nae The Violent

Oh dear God. Sam Worthington will play Shepard, won't he?

/me hopes he doesn't

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  5. Krogan

High Score:
    I like Sam Worthington >.>.

Also Chengar you make it sound like all fans like FemShep the best, they don't. Its actually a very tiny percentage, it just seems like a lot because of how...vocal they get.

6. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Fair point; the FemShep fans are lot more vocal about their preference than the ManShep fans. I'm not that deep into the Mass Effect fandom, so I might have been thrown by the fact that FemShep has a vocal fanbase and ManShep doesn't.

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FemShep is on the cover of the Collector's Edition of ME3 through popular vote. I'd say that her fans are pretty substantial.

8. Krogan

High Score:
    No she isn't, Bioware decided to put a FemShep on the Collectors Edition with absolutely zero fan input on the decision. What they were allowed to vote on was what she looked like.

Chengar, Male Shepard doesn't have a tremendously vocal fanbase almost entirely because they don't really need one. The Collectors Edition back cover is literally the only place in all of their merchandising where Bioware has even acknowledged FemShep. Every last other bit of promotional anything has very prominently featured Male Shepard with no sign of his female counterpart in sight and now the movie is Male as well. Whats the point in being vocal when you get every last possible thing you want without it?

9. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Yeah; it's one of those strange things about devoted fandoms; they need a certain amount of neglect to really develop.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Am really not too happy about this. While I think the Mass Effect universe would make for an amazing movie, I am not too happy that it will feature the game characters. Maybe if they make the movie happen storywise after the 3rd game, that could be sweet but so far, meh.

Am really disappointed about the lack of FemShep, would have been much better with a female shepard than a generic male action hero. Let's just hope it won't be a cookie-cutter action scifi flick.

Seeing that they don't include Seth Green even if they could and obviously should have (he does look enough like him to pull it off) makes me think they will drop the ball on harder issues as well.

Overall, I am really skeptical about this. Maybe it will be good but the fact that they stick to the game characters but with different voices and models/actors is just going to be disappointing to everyone.