1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Power of Time by RossWrock - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Ringmaster, May 22, 2006.

1. Ringmaster

Ringmaster Muggle

Title: Harry Potter and the Power of Time
    Author: RossWrock
    Rating: T (Fanfiction.net rating)
    Genre: General/Action/Adventure
    Pairing: None, but does contain some H/G, but is not shippy.
    Status: WIP. Hasn't been updated in a while, but recent posts from RossWrock indicate that the next chapter may be in progress.
    Summary: Another 'Harry escapes for the summer over his sixth year' fic, but brought to you by the brilliant mind of RossWrock. It does start a little slow, but picks up pretty quick. Not too clichéd, despite it's length. Does have some H/G interaction (damn the red-headed tart), but it's not shippy, barely anything to call a relationship. Haven't seen any links to it here, and it's good enough to warrant a link.

Harry escapes from both Dumbledore's influence and his 'family' when he discovers a time turner stuck in the folds of his robes from the fight in the Department of Mysteries (pretty much the only cliché in the story), and trains himself hard. Not a Super!Harry fic, but he does get pretty strong, and the way he holds captured Death Eaters is pretty sweet. Keeps out of Dumbledore's influence, despite constant attempts to bring him back in. Even contains some mild Ron Bashing. Smooth read all the way through, doesn't get lost in his own plotline, very few typos. More than worth a read if you've got the time.

Link me!

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  2. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I love this story... It is just to bad it hasent been updated in like a year...

3. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

There is an official posting format for things like these... you might want to edit it before the shit hits the fan

4. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

This has definitely been posted before. Back in the day...

This was the original, well, at least the most famous, Indy!Harry fic.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

No, this story has been discussed many times, but we never actually had a proper thread for it. It's about time, I say, and what nice timing is that - hand in hand with another one of Rosswrock's monthly comebacks (check out his yahoo group)... who knows, he might even update this time :)

BTW, you should edit your post to match this template, less the admins delete it.

6. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

this story is the most famous indy!harry fic. after this one, people started to imitate it and that's how the cliche "indy!harry" fics were produced.

it is a great fic except for it being ginny/harry. too bad ross gave it up writing it.

7. CGB

CGB Auror

Yeah I remember this story. It was very good except the whole Harry/Ginny pairing.

8. Ringmaster

Ringmaster Muggle

Thanks for correcting me on the format, I don't know what I was thinking. The H/G isn't too heavy, thankfully, and I'm just happy it isn't the horrifying "Oh, Ginny, suddenly I LOVE you! I must have you! Marry me!" that some people seem to think is realistic.

9. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

I haven\'t read many H/G pairings so I dont know but why do you guys hate it so much? I mean isn\'t it in canon or something?

10. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Gosh you aren't DLP material lad! But godamnyou we will make you into one, we will.
    About: PoT (hehe)What he said in the update? I don't want to search it.

11. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Eh, I liked PoT the first time around, but people imitating his work (and the arse of an author himself) really turned me off his work. It was really great at first, strong, but then it tapered off into a neverending adventure to please his readers with as much superpowers and such as possible.

Nevertheless, a good read, despite the typical H/G "Wow Ginny, you changed over the summer, I love you!"

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

"Captain, something's coming our way..."
    "What is it Spock?"
    "I'm not sure, but it looks like... Holy crap! It's a shitstorm! Break! Break! Aggggghhhh....."

13. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I can't read it for the fact that it is the base of all cliches

I realize it is the original thing, but the ideas have been used so much, its impossible to not roll your eyes.

14. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

lol none of you answered his question. Kinda shifty if you ask me *stares hard at the reader before breaking out in laughter (poor guy).**Sits up suddenly* or do you not know yourselves....

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  15. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Because she came out of no where in canon. Loads of boyfriends already.. so yea Ginny= Ginslut. Whore. etc.

Btw why do you type your contractions with a slash mark like this "Can\'t"?

16. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

I dunno it just comes out that way. Like

I\'m

You\'re

You get the pict\'ure

\'agrid

\'arry

etc

17. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Your web browser is adding slashes before sending it rather than encoding them with HTML symbols.

18. SLASH SUCKS

SLASH SUCKS Backtraced

I don't like Rossrock he always lies to his group for over a year he has been talking about updating i hope he doesn't. I am a member of his group, but only for his links section, which i contribute to, but alot of the fics in their suck anyways. I'm not a huge fan of him i don't even read the posts anymore because he's so full of himself. His story isn't bad, but he makes a big deal about plagarizing, but half his ideas are taken from other authors. I remember him getting on other authors for using similiar ideas a while back.
    The only unique factor of this story is the Independant part.

1. pheonix hedwig, been done
    2. magical trunk, overkill
    3. second wand, everybody and their mom has done it.
    4. attack on diagon alley, omfg that has never been done!!!
    5. special tribal tatoos, That's unique oh wait not.
    6. potronus that kills dementors, done done & done.
    7. The removal of Mrs. Black, Well done.

I can't remember the plot because last time i checked the story was like a year ago when he was going to update, so there is probably more cliches he has used. I just think its a bit hypocritical for him demanding people to remove fics when his has alot of cliched ideas.

19. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Many of those he was the first to use so back then it wasn't cliches it was original and cool.

20. SLASH SUCKS

SLASH SUCKS Backtraced

No they wern't, i remember they were well used by the time he was writing POT because I started reading at like chapter 7 thinking this has been done. He even admitted to it.

The only thing he is known for is independent Harry. Although I remember a story where Harry buys a trunk where 7 hours equals 1 outside, He camps out in the cave outside hogsmeade and trains. He later recruits his friends and they train for like two months during the summer. So technicaly Independant Harry was done before Rosswrock. The only difference is the enemity between him and Dumby and keeping everything secret from him.

Ill admit the story I read with independent Harry was weak and I wish I remember the name, but still Rossrock's story is nothing original. And another thing that was well used is the Gringotts confrontation where he finds out he has money and then goes shopping. Most of this story is a compilation of cliches and then tons of filler.