1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon fics.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Starwind, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Just read "Under the Same Sky" and "The Sun Soul" and found them amazing, I liked UtSS with the way it handeled the character from the game and was wondering if their was any other good Pokemon fics in the fandom?

2. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

3. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But never, ever read chapter 32. NEVER.

4. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

No Antidote is one of the best that I've read. I always rec Pedestal but it's a hard slog through the first twenty chapters or so. Still, one of the best in my mind.

5. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Regret was not a story I enjoyed. It started out rather interesting, with all the changes to the universe the author made. The demonic gardevoir was interesting, till the raping went down.
    The plot seems elaborate and quite intriguing, but it failed to keep my attention and after 60 chapters it feels like nothing interesting has happened, even though he has accidentally murdered one friend, indirectly caused the death of another, and killed a celebi, it felt boring and pointless.

I guess I just didn't like that he dropped the whole quest for 8 badges (or 20 in this case because 8 wasn't enough) after 30 some chapters and 2 badges.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed with Churchey too be honest. Regret is a weird story for me, it has some of the best character development i've seen, but plot wise it's questionable, and frankly the longer the story goes on, the more and more I hate the protagonist. Consistency is an issue as well.

Both UTSS and Sun Soul are brilliant, and I'm about to start reading Game of Champions myself.

7. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read what there is of Game of Champions. this led to a rather insane decision that pokemon is my life now and by insane I mean all hail Mistermime and the fact that it fathered the antichrist/greatest trainer of all time

As far as fics I want stories that revolve around the attempts of a character to become a master/ get all the badges. Are there any complete ones like this that don't make bizarre awful changes?

8. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Regret ended up with a lot of angst and attempted complex plot that fell short, and despite having nearly 60 chapters with a strong update rate, was incredibly boring.

Pokemon 0 was kind of interesting but, like Regret, had the protagonist ride the gravy train of some accomplished trainer with awesome pokemon to show him the ropes and make him a god. Also had too much angst for my taste, and ended the story rather abruptly. After 30 chapters of growth where the protagonist gets 3 badges and only one pokemon evolution, the author throws out a epilogue with just as much plot and development as the last 30 chapters shrunk into one page that covers 4 years of the trainer's life where the rest of the story was only a few months. His starter goes from a combusken who doesn't obey him to a blaziken who is super-boss in the DAMN EPILOGUE. All his other pokemon evolve and he also gets a fucking trapinch which evolves entirely into a flygon in the epilogue as well. It's a story that changes from "hey lets make some slow and half-decent characterization" to "hey lets just start writing about a badass, im tired of this guy" in ten seconds.

Sun Soul is turning out to be extremely interesting though. It follows Ash along the general story of the first game, but with some interesting changes. He doesn't get the same pokemon and is gaining power at a reasonable rate that isn't boring as fuck to read. By 6 chapters he has an Arcanine, and in a believable way. Misty is a boss, as is Brock, and they are fighting their way through the gyms in order to gain access to a special area guarded by the elite four in order to stop team rocket from their shenanigans. It actually is working really well, has a believable romance going on, decent characterizations, well-done action scenes, and doesn't fall short of unreasonably set expectations like Regret and Pokemon 0 did.

9. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Posted this in the almost-recommendable thread. You may enjoy it, but it was in *almost* recommendable for a reason.