1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Homeland

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Demons In The Night, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Why isn't there a thread on this show yet? It's fucking awesome and I'm looking forward to this every week much more than Dexter (and pretty much every thing else as well), which comes on right before it.

I'm not going to write a huge summary or spoil anything, but this show is ballsy as fuck and to say it's intriguing is an understatement.

So I'll just wiki link it for now until we get some discussion going:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeland_(TV_series)

2. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It's only a month old, I was thinking the show was years old given that I'd heard the name before, but that's Homeland Security.

Never seen this either. Sell me on it, what makes it better than Dexter to you?

3. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Well, that's kind of hard to explain and it would be somewhat of an unfair comparison given that that, while they do share some similar elements, they are different types of shows. Also, Dexter is in it's 6th season, and while I love the fuck out of Dexter it's a bit old now. Homeland is fresh and new and has that excitement factor you get when you start watching an awesome show for the first time. Most of that excitement is lost by the time a tv show progresses into subsequent seasons; well, at least for me anyways.

But anyway, Homeland is a spy/suspense/intrigue show based on an American Marine (fictional, not true story) who was held captive by Al Qaeda for 10 years. He was eventually rescued and brought back to the US as a hero. He then gets treated as a celebrity and a Great American Hero by the media, the public, etc. but there are certain elements within the CIA that think that he might have been turned while held captive and is now a sleeper agent for Muslim extremists and plotting an attack against America.

That's the bare bones of it although you could have gotten that right from the wikipedia link. The shows POVs are mainly that of a certain CIA employee (Clair Danes character), and the Marine (guy from Band of Brothers). You see how they are being impacted by this series of events and the many conflicts that unfold around them. It has very solid story telling and it's very believable; not to mention extremely watchable. I forget who is directing it (see wiki) but whoever it is managed to capture something in Homeland...it might be too early to say it is "greatness", but the show just clicks with me and I find myself anxiously waiting for each new episode every week.

The best thing I could tell you is to just watch the pilot and see if it's interesting, and then decide whether you feel it would be a good investment of your time to continue watching it. Personally, I don't see how it wouldn't be be...then again that's just me. Different things for different people I guess.

Give it a try. You'll probably enjoy it.

edit: I never said it was 'better' than Dexter. It's too early to make such a judgment. I just find myself anticipating it more than Dexter every week. Maybe down the line a little bit I could say which one I think is the better show. It has been renewed for a second season already, so it's not going to be a one and done deal like Rubicon (and fuck whoever decided to cancel that).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. Dwitty

Dwitty Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Damian Lewis is a legend. Band of Brothers and Life were fucking fantastic shows, in my opinion. BoB more so, of course. It can't really go wrong with Lewis though.

I'd meant to start watching this but didn't add it to my programs list, so ended up forgetting. Plenty of episodes to waste essay-writing time watching though.

Much love for reminding me, Demons. <3

5. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Yeah I've got to say Damian Lewis is awesome. Life is a top 3 cancelled too soon show for me.

And it's a great show. I'm not quite caught up completely but when you watch it you can't be sure who's side you're on because 1) you don't know where hardly anybody stands, and 2) you aren't sure, even if you do know what they believe in or will do, if it is absolutely wrong.

6. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Plus Damian Lewis's wife in this is Inara from Firefly. He's one lucky sleeper agent.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh fuck, that's the dude from Life. That was a...surprisingly good TV series. The end of the second (and last) season was just so fucking badass. I might have to watch this just for the actors. I know the plot doesn't grab me at first glance.

8. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

"You know how I survived those 11 years in prison?"

"Ha.. I don't know, Zen?" /le Russian accent.

*BossPantherStrike*

Back OT: Yeah watch the first episode at least... Morena Baccarin gets neked.

9. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Just watched episode one, it was good, the mystery is there and a twist I didn't see coming at the end. I'll continue to watch it for now. :)

10. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Best new show this year, really enjoyed every episode.

Quite a decent boob count too :awesome

11. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Season 1 finale aired yesterday, best new show to come out in years. Love it.

12. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I intended to start this thread myself yesterday. I was fucking loving this show. But after the finale my advise is,

DO NOT WATCH IT

This season had the WORST ENDING I have seen till date. After the finale was over I had only one thing in my mind.

SO FUCKING DISAPPOINT.

/rageBut seriously, they handled it very very badly. I loved the first 11 episodes. Especially the acting of Carrie in episode 11 was epic.I was so pumped for the finale but it shattered all my dreams.

13. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I don't know what your problem is. The ending was about what I expected would happen.
    Not amazing, but not horrible either.

14. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Did anyone else catch the season 2 premiere?

15. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Yes.
    Am I the only one who thinks that Brody's daughter is going to convert?
    I really enjoyed Brody's half of the story over Carie's half. Probably because her half of the story was a restart for her, and restarts tend to bore me, while Brody's was a continuation.

16. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Yes indeed.

I was very much intrigued by Carrie's plot, especially the end. When she took down the tail with a knee to the groin...is that one of the first times we've even seen her seem to take a certain glee in her work? One wonders if she's accustomed to roughing people up. If so...oh, the wonderful things it could portend.

17. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Have you guys seen the latest episodes? The acting (for me) was fantastic. Especially the woman who played Carrie in the last episode. She makes everything seem real and emotional instead of cheesy.

I started watching it a week ago and finished the whole first season in like a week. It is one of my favorite shows now. It's contains the perfect about of excitement without being too heavy handed (Like 24 was), though I will admit Brody's storyline in Episode 3 was a touch on the unrealistic side.

Things are not looking good for Brody now. Saul and Carrie know for sure he is working for the enemy, and in the previews, it looks like the CIA director is going to find out as well. Plus, his wife knows he is hiding something.

I really like Brody's daughter, she is one of my favorite characters. She is awesomely sarcastic without being an annoying brat.

I think this is only going to be a two season show. I can't see how they can continue with another season with the way things are going.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Waiting for the third episode this weekend, but I love this show. The first series was one of the best things I've ever seen on television, an absolute masterclass in acting, writing, and keeping viewers hooked and on the edge of their seat. Series 2 has not disappointed so far.

19. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Yeah, Brody's daughter is one of my favorites too. She's easily the most sympathetic character for me, and I'm a sucker for good father/daughter dynamics. Carrie I just feel bad for and exasperated by in turns; she's such a class-a fuck up, but she tries so hard that you can't help but admire her a little bit. And Brody--I don't know how, but they've managed to make me see things from his point of view so that even though he's doing awful things, I want him to succeed for his own sake. Ees messed up. A little bit like watching Dexter in that regard, heh.

20. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Everything the posters above me have said regarding the second season are correct. This show is outstanding and continues to be one of the best shows on TV.

I spent a good deal of time talking to a friend of mine after the first season finished about this. The only way we could really see the show continuing is if Brody's storyline is resolved (because, at this point especially, we couldn't see how this could be dragged out for two more seasons), and Nazir becomes the focus of a third (and final) season.