1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a specific kind of recommendation.

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Mock Moniker, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

I really like stories where most people have super powers of a sort, but one of the main characters doesn't, or has really bad powers.

Codex Alera would be one example, but I didn't like how Tavi developed after Captain's Fury. Also his level of competence in early books felt a little bit cheesy and forced, but I expect that's probably going to be in all stories of this nature.

The fanfic Polarity would be another example, where despite Shocker being severely outclassed (like when the Hulk shows up), he manages to save the day.

I'd like to read similar stories, if you guys know of any.

I'm also in the mood for a story with a protagonist who can see into the future (or, equivalently, can do frequent short-range time travel). I watched a Q&A with Jim Butcher where he recommends an upcoming novel called Fated (http://www.amazon.com/Fated-Verus-Novel-Benedict-Jacka/dp/1937007294) and the idea fascinates me, but that book isn't out yet. A while ago I saw the movie Next, which features a protagonist who can see 2 minutes into the future, and I really loved the idea but the movie itself was kind of disappointing. I also remember reading an original story online with a character who could time-travel to the same effect, but I haven't been able to find it again (IIRC, the author committed suicide and the story was never finished) If you guys know anything along these lines, let me know.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I looked like the official recommendation thread was mainly people giving positive reviews of books they recently read, rather than people looking for particular things.

I was looking for mainly books, but I don't mind if it's fanfic, anime, or a movie.

2. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

Cheesy movie where the lead character doesn't (initially) have superpowers: Sky High (recommendable because there is a really good fic verse - the movie is decent/kiddy theatrical Disney garbage).

Awesome tv series with short range prophetic ability: Tower Prep. Tower Prep is a live action show that ran for a thirteen episode first season last year on Cartoon Network. Kids with moderate/mild superpowers are taken from their homes (with the parents' permission, apparently) and placed in a boarding school called Tower Prep that is practically disconnected from reality. The lead characters are a group of kids who spend all their time investigating the school and trying to escape. The leader-kid has the ability to see seconds in the future, and uses it to his advantage in sports, fighting (why his parents gave him up so easily), sneaking around, etc.

Yeah... all I have is kid stuff.

I'll look through fanfic bookmarks later.

3. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

I'll check out Tower Prep.

I actually remember seeing Sky High many years ago, but I didn't really like it. It felt too kiddy/cheesy for me, and I was probably 16 at the time.

Does Tower Prep have the same kind of vibe?

4. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

Not really. The episodes are simple enough, but the show as a whole has a pretty serious tone to it. The cheesiest thing about it is caused by low budget issues - they have some robots running around that look like cardboard boxes crossed with vacuum cleaners.

It is notable that while the show is very good, there's a pretty good chance that Cartoon Network might have dropped it for whatever reason. They've taken all the promo stuff offline, and there hasn't been any word from the people in charge for awhile.

5. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The Xanth series. First book is about a guy trying to find his magic ability in a world where everyone has an ability.

6. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Don't read the Xanth series if you dislike puns.

7. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The Spellwright trilogy by Blake Charlton has such a main character. The world revolves around the fact that magic is performed through various magical languages; however, the protagonist, Nicodemus, can't cast anything more than the simplest spells because of his disability as a cacographer (someone who naturally misspells). His very touch corrupts magical spells, which means he is pretty much the lowest of the low in wizardly society.

The main reason I like the series is because of the novel system of magic; you should definitely take a look. The only downside is that the third book isn't going to come out until 2013... :(

8. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

I will definitely be checking that one out, sounds very interesting.