1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Hunger Games: Rumours and Hype

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Zeitgeist, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

"And the 74th Annual Hunger Games begin.."

MTV Teaser
    HD Trailer
    Official Website for the Film

Wikipedia's Plot Synopsis:
    The hype for this movie is rather phenomenal. Lionsgate has invested an enormous amount of money in marketing this movie, with many people calling it the "New Twilight". In fact, a 2013 release date for Catching Fire, the sequel, has already been set. Personally, I think calling this trilogy the new "Twilight" isn't as apposite as calling it the new "Harry Potter". The Hunger Games has far too much political subtext and exploration of warfare to be compared to Twilight. And if all goes well, guys will like the movie the same way they had liked the books.

For those who haven't read the series, think Nineteen Eighty-Four meets Battle Royale, with a twist of Theseus & the Minotaur. Some of you might have put down the book after reading the recommendations at the back (I still wonder if it was a good marketing ploy, lol). To those people, I answer with a tumblr post.

What do you guys think about the trailer so far? I liked the way they inserted Rue and Cato into the trailer at 1:39 and 1:40. President Snow, played by Donald Sutherland, also sounds suitably eloquent and duplicitous as he did in the books. Madge Undersee might have conflated with Primrose's character, though. I can't find her in the listed characters. Do you think that this movie will reach the levels of popularity for Twilight? Even Harry Potter?

I personally think it's too early to tell if it'll reach those levels. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a box office winner; the film looks great so far.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. LostInThought

LostInThought First Year

I'm happy with the settings they used for this, making District 12's inhabitants a little dirty and appropriately afraid. The draw was done especially well in my opinion, exactly as I imagined. While I'm slightly afraid that they will push the romantic angle too much, probably in order to convince Twilight fans of this, the trailer fortunately does not seem to indicate that.

Also, I didn't notice Haymitch... Did I miss him in the videos?

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I still think the Twilight comparisons and the Stephanie Meyer blurb were the worst things that could have happened to the books. The Hunger Games are among my favorite YA books and I can't wait for the movie. The trailers look pretty good so far and the score seems extremely good.

Here is me hoping they can pull it off.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've never read the books, largely because I'd heard they were somewhat Twilight-esque, but the trailer actually looks halfway decent. Maybe not a must see, but I might check it out.

5. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Tried to read the books; language was far too flowery. Might have been able to get past that if the tiniest little thing hadn't stuck in my craw: In the very first chapter, the heroine puts on her boots, then her pants. No matter what I read after that, I kept thinking: "How?"

Anyhow, the original teaser looks... meh. The actual trailer is a vast improvement.

The teaser posters all consisted of large medallion logos showing the district number and the resource the district was known for: honest to gods, they look like Settlers of Catan hexes.

As for comparing it to HP; yes, there is analysis of warfare and politics and the nature of what it means to be human and how to deal with your enemies. You know when those became overriding themes in HP? Books 5, 6 and 7.

Don't think I'll be checking these out, but if reviews come in that tell me I'm missing something, I'll gladly change my tune.

6. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Have I been very ignorant if I have never heard of neither the books nor the movie?

Plot sounds halfway decent but very predictable if you've read Battle Royal or something similar. It being marketed as something for the Twilight fans to pick up on does not give me good vibes and I feel a strong sense of "why?, how?" when reading about the plot.

7. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Yeah, the Twilight comparisons being the reason why people refuse to read HG pisses me off. Sure, I was taken back too, but the Stephen King recommendation was enough to convince me to at least give it a go. The comparisons (if they are any; a rec =/= a direct comparison. Indirect, not direct) are rather unfounded.

Yes, there is a "love" triangle. But there's a reason why I use inverted commas. Let's just say that Collins was smart enough to explore romance in terms of political manoeuvring, tying into her themes about propaganda and the media. I won't say more, because I'd be revealing a plot twist.

Moreover, Collins writes killer action sequences (Puntastic). Like seriously, the gruesome fighting within the Arena itself is very well portrayed. Unlike Meyer, she also isn't afraid to kill off characters, although that much was probably obvious, considering the premise of the novels lol.

And Stenstyren, the plot isn't a carbon copy of Battle Royale. There should be enough twists for it to not be predictable. Characters like Foxface and Peeta continued to surprise me.

Haymitch, played by Harrelson, is seen at 1:49. He's also giving the voiceover in that part of the trailer.

8. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

I hated the books, won't see the movies.

9. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

There is an awkward love triangle inserted into the second and third book, which is the weakest part of the series, but otherwise, I enjoyed this trilogy a great deal. (Book two, Catching Fire, was mostly filler, though.) It is unfortunate that they're marketing it as "the next Twilight" but you can't blame them for going where the money is. I agree that it shares more in common with Harry Potter than Twilight, love triangle notwithstanding.

Collins's writing is not brilliant, but it carries the story, and she isn't afraid to kill off characters. I don't think it quite deserves the hype and popularity it's acquired compared to other, better series out there, YA and otherwise, but life is unfair that way. So far, the trailers for the movie look quite promising. I really liked Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone.

10. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Felt okay about the books, willing to give the movies a shot.

11. Bittersweet Freedom

Bittersweet Freedom Second Year

I'm excited to watch the movies, but I found the books... disppointing and kinda annoying? I don't know. I really wanted to like them, but I just couldn't. It all seemed rather shallow. The characters had cardboard personalities; there was more showing than telling going on; and everything was either black or white. :/

Maybe my expectations going in were just too high because I'd heard such great things about the series from my friends.

12. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Wait... wait. Woody Harrelson is playing Haymitch? I'm in.

13. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Liked the books, didn't plan on seeing the movie til I saw the first pic of Katniss, at which point I decided I had to at least see the first.

Comparisons to twilight are bad, they bring bad attention, and people compare the love triangle to twilight, but twilight didn't have a triangle.

Twilight saga had publicity people who claimed there was one, and made a fucking SHITton off it.

14. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Books are decent, nothing you want to think on too hard, but a great way to waste some time. They're fun reads, and a comparison to HP is fair I think. Movie actually looks like it might be really well done, I'll have to see the first one at least.

15. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Started reading the first one, got half way through before saying "Meh", walking over to my bookshelf, and picking up Battle Royale.

It's the kind of movie I'll watch just to have seen it, not something I really give a shit about.

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I've heard of the books but haven't read them. Your summary reminds me of a dozen other movies with similar plots, the most recent I can think of being Death Race and The Condemed. That whole 'survival of the fittest televised for entertainment' thing has been done quite a lot. And comparing it to Twilight pretty much guarantees that I won't see it.

17. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

It was actually seen as the Anti-Twilight when the books came out, since its lead female character was a competent human being that actually has intelligent thoughts and an emotional range greater than a thimble.

18. Portus

Portus Heir

Reading the first book now, and it reminds me of HP in that the writing is so-so, nothing to get excited about, but the story is fast-paced and very engaging and entertaining. I'm pretty happy I took the advice and picked it up. It reminds me of 1984, The Lottery and The Running Man all rolled into one.

Oh, and you bitches sure seem to know an awful lot about this Twilight shit.

19. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

I blame my ex for any and all Twilight related knowledge

20. potter

potter Raptured to Hell

My friends are really hyped about this. Haven't seen a trailer of some sort yet though. But based on the synopsis, it seems to be interesting.