1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Link Power of a Second Chance by IMuShin - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, May 27, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Power of a Second Chance
    Author: IMuShin
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    Pairings: None
    Summary: A very Old Harry Potter, while trying to find a way to Destroy Voldemort, comes across a spell that will allow him to do everything over again
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2917124/1/

Outwardly, this is juat another story where old and experienced Harry transports himself into his young body. But under the hood, this story feels very different and generally more original than majority of this genre.

Everything here is in some way altered than in other stories like this, starting from Harry's age (he's over 1500 years old), over his motivation (he goes back to fulfill the prophecy, NOT see his friends again) to his general conduct (Harry saves Lilly, re-ages himself to 22 and takes on the Runes teaching post in what would have been his second year). It's refreshing that Harry doesn't suddenly revert to mentality of an 11 year kid - he's still ancient under the mask and he stays that way (for now).

Major downside for now is that, in the latest chapter, Harry got close to Ginslut in a mentor sort of way (that was when he destroyed the diary). On the upside, Ginny got sorted into Ravenclaw afterwards, so her character just might turn more interesting than in canon... Oh and the writing style isn't the best - seems kinda rushed at times.

Other than that, this is a solid read... for now.

Checked by Minion, August 18, 2013
    Dead link is dead. If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

I'll take a peek, you haven't lead me stray yet...

3. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Its alright actually. Very put off by Ginny, a 1st year, being put into 3rd year runes.

And the bit about how Lily never really loved James.

4. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Wow this was pretty good, kinda rushed but still good. The Ginny part put me off a bit but it was better then I expected it to be.

Over all This was a good TimeAU if he/she slows it down a bit this has the potential to be an amazing story.

5. Ryuu Ken

Ryuu Ken Second Year

It was okay. The Ginny moment was a minor downside. I did wonder where Hermione was in the whole picture, was she killed by the Troll seeing as Harry wasn't there to save here (and drag Ron along).

6. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

I agree with you, the Ginny pat seems a bit suspicious. But the rest is very good. I like that he actually does something against Voldemort. I wonder what he will do with the bones of Riddle senior? An I dont miss the know-it-all. I wonder if he will do something political now that Malfoy is out of the picture and Sirius is still in Azkaban.

7. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

Pretty good, one of the better go back in time fics anyway, will carry on reading this. Ginny part is dodgy as hell and to be honest a little shit at the moment but hopefully there will be some reason for it and not just randomness. its a long shot i know but i live in hope.

Would also be good if lily and harry get together but cant see that happening unfortunatly

8. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

I agree with the Ginny bit but I'm inferring that there wasn't a Harry/Ginny marriage type of relationship, so theres a little hope.

9. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

I thought it was a good story, the harry/ginny bit was annoying and i thought the writing was rushed at a lot of points but the overall plot and original ideas help to make up for that.

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

This fic has a Ravenclaw first year who's not an idiotic elbow-in-butter-dishing whore, and you still hate her simply because of her name? Tsk, tsk.

Pretend it's an original character, because that's pretty much what she is.

And this line:
    Tells you Ginny was probably not his wife killed by Voldemort.

Meh. The fic's alright. A bit rushed, some interesting ideas and very little blatantly wrong. Other than perhaps the idea that polyjuice can transfer memories... that seems as logical as saying a levitation charm can cure cancer.

11. Hpsleuth11

Hpsleuth11 Guest

A fic to pass the time but I wouldn't call it a good read. It too quick paced, some of the writing is just bleh, and the whole ginny thing really sets me off. I just found it odd a 20 year old Harry sitting and discussinf runes with a 11 year old Ginny Weasley. I also didnt like the writers inclusion of Lily Potter into the story. It clear the author really wanted Lily in the fic and decided to come up with a half ass explanation as to why she lived. I'm also not a fan of ridiculously overpowered Harry.
    On a plus i did like the fact that he's a rune professor, i hope we get to seem some use of the runes in future chapters.

12. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I was glancing through this fic again to see if there had been an update. Yes, I was too lazy to compare when I replied here versus when the fic was last updated. It's not been updated in about a month now.

But this quote just cracked me up for unintentional comedy.
    Mmm-mmm. Nothing like a sandwich with insides and a nice lilttle taste of child birth. (Not to mention, I've met plenty of mom's who could burn water with their culinary skills.)

And I can't stop picturing a soggy piece of bread covered with "love" juice, entrails and "insides," and a little bit of "spiteful" afterbirth. Tasty!

13. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    i quite enjoyed readng this, i hope it gets updated soon

14. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Ditto to Mordecai.

15. Dragon Watcher

Dragon Watcher Third Year

I guess that makes me an ditto, ditto... or is that supposed to be tripple? or ditto plus ditto does equal quadruple... what ever, I hope it updates

16. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, I have mixed feelings on this one, I think.

I liked the DADA twist (i.e., that Harry didn't get the job) and the Voldie-In-A-Jar amused me. On the other hand, I agree about Ginny in 3rd year runes; seems a bit much. Okay, so she learned a bit from Tom (and Harry, I suppose), but come on. She's still in second year!

Additionally, it is a bit rushed at times.

But it's got real potential - I know I'll be tuning in to see what happens next.

-J

17. dark.itachi

dark.itachi First Year

I thought it had a good beginning and all with him being really really old and the polyjuice thingy mabober. But then it had him going back (saving lily, james dying cliche) and they are oblivaited for a few paragraphs of it, then they go to canada. WTF? I got kinda lost there.

18. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Gone.

I have chapters 1-6 in the archives.

--bornagainpenguin