1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rurouni Kenshin.

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

So I am not sure if there are still fans of this series, but considering its what got me into Anime and Manga and that its a classic, figured I would share the two biggest news about it I have discovered.

First and foremost is the news that a Live action movie is going to be coming out soon and here is the link to the teaser trailer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xcjwC6jKyU&feature=related
    I saw it and I was impressed I like the cast they've chosen to play the characters but I am a little bit disappointed that it seems Aoshi won't be featured.

Second piece of news is that the manga will be returning on June this year
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...enshin-manga-series-to-return-in-japan-in-may
    Like they say in the description its not really clear whether its a reboot or continuation of the series but I am going to go with continuation because I don't see why he would want to change anything from the first one.

So there you have it DLP manga fans, what do you think? I am personally psyched for this to come out especially the Manga.

On a side note, even though I don't know whether its officially confirmed but there are also rumors that an anime reboot that stays true to the manga(FMA:BROTHERHOOD) is on the works.

2. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Totally psyched about this. Good things will happen because of it. (I remember when the manga author absolutely hated the anime ending.)

3. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I loved the fuck out of Rurouni Kenshin and it was what got me into Mange/Anime in the first place so I am cautiously excited but I'm not going to allow myself to get too hyped for any of it.

4. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, that's great. I'd love to see a continuation as well.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Am interested in the manga version, although, I hope for a reboot of sorts or a prequel story.

At the end of the manga, Kenshin had pretty much given up the sword, so, it either would be about his kid or Yahiko, neither of which are very interesting.

So, I hope for a story set in Kyoto against the Shinsengumi. That would be awesome.

6. Krogan

High Score:
    I'd like a reboot personally, I have no particular interest in seeing his kid or Yahiko either. As for the movie do we know what all its going to be focused on? I'd like to see a lot of Samurai X covered.

7. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I think it's going to be an adaptation of Megumi's introduction arc, based on the characters that pop up in he trailer, and what the ANN and IMDB page say.

8. Krogan

High Score:
    Eh thats not bad I was just hoping for more you know? It could be great and I'm happy with what I saw in the trailer I'm just surprised out of everything they could use in the first live action movie that's what they go with.

9. Nemrut

High Score:
    Well, makes sense in a way. The beginning of the manga wouldn't really be epic enough and everything later needs a deeper understanding of the numerous characters so this arc is as good as any as a place to start.

Would have preferred anything with Hajime Saito but hey, if they pull this off in a good way...

10. Krogan

High Score:
    Yeah like I said I'm not complaining so much as I'm just surprised.

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    Do you think they can pull it off? So far, I haven't heard of a good live action adaption of a manga.

12. Krogan

High Score:
    Honestly I don't know, I think they have step one for not fucking it up done already though in that everyone cast for it is asian.

13. Feoffic

Yeah. I was hoping for Kyoto Arc instead, but I don't think they could fit that into one movie

Maybe. All the good/entertaining adaptations I know of were based on martial arts/samurai manga, so the batting average for this is higher than most.

14. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I think they can because unlike other typical Manga, it deals with actual history and the battles are Asian movies forte so they won't disappoint there and again I give them props for having actual Japanese actors. So it has a lot of potential.

I also hope that the "reboot" of the Manga isn't a next generation type of thing because that would kind of suck although either way I am still going to read it been the fan boy that I am.

Has anyone else found out something about the Anime reboot?

15. Seraphim

Seraphim Third Year DLP Supporter

Never read this one before but going to give it a go now. I have been looking for a good manga to read for a while and this may just be it.

16. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Hell yeah, I loved this manga. Film looks like it could be good, too. Awesome news all around.

17. Krogan

High Score:
    True that would be my personal preference as well if they're going straight to the larger part of the series first but I was really hoping to see Samurai X first as I said. Although now that I think about it that would probably have to come later, it just wouldn't work very well if it was done first.

18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I'd have killed to see a Reminiscence/Trust and Betrayal only movie, since for a while that OVA was my favorite anime of all time. But I'll settle for as many scenes as possible from there as possible. =P

Kyoto arc would be more suited to a sequel IMO. And they'd probably need to truncuate it a fair bit or split it into two movies given how much content is covered. I wonder who'd play Hiko in that case?

Also, Krogan what do you mean by Samurai X? I was under the impression Samurai X was the American name for Rurouni Kenshin, and covered all OVAs and the Movie?

As for the manga, we did briefly see some of Kenji's story in the Seisouhen/Remembrance OVA, and it looked...alright, but not nearly as good as some other stuff. I'd love to have the manga cover more of the Bakumatsu, maybe continuing after the end of Reminiscence? I've read a lot of good fanfiction set around that time so...

19. Krogan

High Score:
    Since when 0.o? Samurai X is what the OVA with Tomoe has been called here forever to tbe best of my recollection.

20. Feoffic

Samurai X was the title Kenshin was released under at first in the USA, but it was eventually switched to Rurouni Kenshin. The OVA is the only remaining work still sold under the old brand name.