1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Feb Contest - DLP Round Robin - Round I

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by World, Feb 1, 2012.

1. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Alright, so here's the deal for the next contest (and the following ones):

Each round represents a chapter in a greater story. Everyone has 4 weeks (later: 3 weeks) to write a chapter following the previous chapters. Popular vote decides which chapter becomes canon, upon which the following chapters must build.

Since the first chapter starts on a blank slate, you'll have four weeks to write a first chapter for a longer story. After that, one week will be given for everyone to vote on a contribution.

Well, need I elucidate more? Get writing!

Pure HP by the way, so no crossovers.

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ... wut?

Seriously? :?

Edit: Bah, it's no more of a pain than the regular contests already were, though I'm going to have to pull something entirely different out of my hat than what I've been working on in the Club these recent weeks. Count me in.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  3. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

This sounds amazing, but the potential for a shitshow is high. Dropping my hat in the ring. Should be fun.

4. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I think the biggest issue with an idea like this is inter-story continuity, in that unless one guy wins everytime (or the story becomes crack, which I'd hate), the story will basically be defined by the first author who wins. And it also really kneecaps potential foreshadowing options and long-term planning.

That being said, I've got a kick-ass idea that is accessible for everyone. And yeah, it will be awesome.

5. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

I'll try and write something, hopefully I'll find a decent premise.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll judge this round. I'd like a more experienced author to set the tone of the story, if possible.

7. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    D fucking 8, crack better not win, I'm part of a group that's doing this already.

-Credit to Loongsie for giving me a proper way to react.

8. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I'm in. I have an idea that might work quite well.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You do realize that the entirety of DLP will be able to judge it, right? :awesome

10. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, oops. Well this is going to end well.

11. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Can I suggest something to expand on this awesome idea?

I'm assuming multiple users will submit a "first chapter". Probably much more than just one of said chapters will be worthy of being continued by the skilful writers of this forum.

Why limit the contest to just one story, then?

As I see it, the more stories there are, the more likely it is for everyone to feel inspired and actually try their hand at writing for it. Will they all be brought to completion? Probably not. But wouldn't that risk exist even if only one story would be picked for the contest? I suppose someone could "sacrifice" a story for another, if they felt inspired by both, deciding to pursue one instead of the other, but I don't see it happening very often, if at all. It also wouldn't change the fact that one story gest updated, which is the same result that would happen if only one was actually in the contest. Unless a writer is so unresolved that, having two choices, in the end gets stuck in the middle and can't do either, than having multiple stories is a win-win situation, I think.

This idea could also be made to work to solve this:

What if the contest gets turned into a semi-team-like challenge (which I see happening only with multiple stories, really)?

After the “first chapters”, writers pick which story they would like to write for and teams are formed to look over its development. They could either take turns at submitting a chapter after some plot-discussion among the team, or they could do something even more team-oriented. In short, run their project however they want.

This would stop (or come close to stopping) crack from happening.

Different kinds of problems could arise from a more extensive collaboration, I’m aware, but I think they could be solved by mature mindsets (lol @DLP), a large-enough-but-not-too-large number of people working on a project and, possibly, a set of “soft” rules like, maybe, “the original author has the final say on disputes” or “a group of judges does”.

There could also be a "mini-game" of sorts to select the teams (if too many people apply for the same story) something similar to what they do for TV-shows.

Pitching ideas.

The candidate writer tries to “sell” his writing and/or ideas for the story to the original author/group of judges/other teammates. The best, I don't know, five, get the job.

The drawback I see is that if you don't apply to any team after the first chapter, it will be very difficult to correct this sad, sad mistake later on. Even if you have an awesome idea for a story, if it doesn't work with the plot already outlined by the team, then chances are you won't get to see it added to the project. You could still pitch it to the already existing team, though, and maybe be "hired" for its awesomeness. The idea would most probably get discarded, but you'd get to contribute to the story, anyway, although in a different way that what you had hoped.

How is it?

Too much?

Edit - this could also help lazy writers (like me) or writers who get somewhat discouraged after starting a project that they know will become huge (like me). Knowing that you have a group of people working to make it happen would probably help a lot.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  12. pepsi

pepsi Backtraced

That's stupid Stojil. Your idea completely undermines the value of the one story idea...which is that there's only one and people might be a bit more willing to contribute a chapter to an existing awesome story. But basically, it's too much.

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, Stojil. How stupid of you to try and be a helpful member of the community. D:<

14. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yeah. This bullshit.

Actually, no. I'm all for Stojil's ramblings. I like the team competition aspect. I reckon it would be a real test of my writing skills (or lack thereof) to directly challenge some of the storyweavers here on DLP, such as Voice, Silens, Calz and what have you.

I mean, it's been a while since I put Vash in his place. Blaise is dead, apparently. So he's gay by default. I kicked Taure's ass in the poetry showdown, that's indisputable. We need some healthy competition to keep things fresh. I foresee it going something like this.

Regardless, I've got an idea for a chapter so I'll write that up in the next month and submit.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've a sudden urge to go kick a Pepsi can.

15. pepsi

pepsi Backtraced

But...but...isn't the competition more intense if all authors are vying for a chapter on the same story?

Also, is there a word limit to the chapters? I think a word limit would be a good idea.

16. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Hehehehe.

While I think Stojil's idea is overly complicated (or just poorly explained) I'd love the opportunity to do a team writing challenge. God knows I could use the help.

And a heads up; while I havn't figured out what bunny to follow yet, it will most likely be a crack bunny. No DLP writing challenge is complete without at least one crack bunny.

Edit: No word limit. That would kind of defeat the purpose of these challenges. You know, the ones that encourage us to write more

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  17. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

The Team idea might have worked better as a single, monthly contest - user-made author teams battling it out in team oneshots.

Anyway, I share Silens' concerns about the new format - just how much power is the winner of chapter one going to have over the story? It's pretty difficult to write someone else's ideas, and this is presuming we even have access to that someone's ideas. It'll be ambling and lacking subplot and coherence - which isn't a huge deal, but means that unless it's crack or some bizarro sliders-esque dimension-shifting adventure, it's unlikely it'll be readable in long form. Or any form.

Words-to-page, DLP has some great writers, but either those writers each bring ideas and we end up with a beautifully written mess, or we give more sway to the winner of chapter one and kill some of the teamwork and creativity aspects of the competition.

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You seem to assume that continuity won't be one of the judging factors?

19. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

My question is: continuity to what?

20. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

Wouldn't that give the winner of the first contest an edge in all the following competitions?