1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wheel of Time Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Vesvius, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Hey all. With the last Wheel of Time book due out later this year, I'm in the mood to whet my appetite with some decent Fics. Sadly, All I've found were Sheeza's two incomplete ones and another incomplete one by Halcyon7 in the TFF forums.

Anyone know of any good ones? I'm willing to try anything that's not slash

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

A Different Wheel

Be warned! The characterization is abysmal. Way too much crying and hugging and goodwill. I do like the premise of Tigraine surviving the birth of Rand. However, the story, especially after the characters leave Caemlyn simply made me wonder "wtf??"

Even better, it would be interesting to see a story where Tigraine survives and Rand is raised as an heir to House Mantear.

4. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Thanks for the rec's. I've been trying to go through a Different Wheel, but the bad characterization and overall focus on Tigraine is making me give it up only a chapter and a half in.

I found something else though:

Ta'veren
    When Rand was 13, Lews started manifesting in the boy's dreams, passing on to him the knowledge of how to control his Ta'veren ability. Seven years later, Moiraine will arrive to find Two Rivers a very different place from what it is suppose to be.

It's only two chapters so far but seems pretty solid.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This question was asked two months ago. That thread includes an explanation for why there's so little Wheel of Time fanfic. Long story short: Robert Jordan objected to fanfiction and used to force fanfic authors to take it down whether they wanted to or not.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=20795

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Won't be a problem any longer now that he's dead!

7. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Hm. Well for one Jordan kept a tight leash on all fanfiction stuff... though I doubt he had to considering the Wheel of Time Curse: Thou shalt abandon work on any story in the Wheel of Time series, sooner or later.

Besides one-shots and maybe a couple of short stories, nothing's really been made.

Honestly though, a fanfiction story could happen, if one were to cut out major chunks of the series and ancilliary characters.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, so this is slightly offtopic, but do abridged versions of the WoT books exist? I love the story itself, and the concepts within, but I just can't bring myself to reread so many words that mean so little. All the skirt smoothing etc.

Can't really figure a better place to ask, not really worth making its own thread.

9. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

There's a Wheel of Time reread here.

They summarise each chapter and add their comments on it. It's quite good.

10. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Awesome find. I'm hoping that story gets updated soon.

And I don't blame you for being unable to finish A Different Start. I slogged my way through that just to be able to read a WoT fic, but it really is crap.

11. yak

The dream sequence was horrible and I didn't bother reading large chunks of it. The rest of chapter 1 and all of chapter 2 was great. I was very happy that the author decided to timeskip the intervening seven years. I was worried that we'd have to read through it, which would've been painful.

There were a number of points in chapter 2 where I wanted to yell at the author for logistical, economic, and population problems with his revised Two Rivers region, but he'd already resolved many of my concerns later in that same chapter.

Ta'veren is worth reading. The dream sequence is worth skimming at best.

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I started trying to read it ,but stopped because of the dream sequence. Is it safe to skip all of the prologue or should I start somewhere in there?

13. yak

All you have to know about the dream sequence is:

Rand was struck by lightning which triggers Lews Therin Telamon's early and sane appearance in Rand's dream sequence. LTT explains that Rand is the Dragon Reborn, how and why he and other male channelers went mad, and about Rand, Matt and Perin being Ta'veren. LTT also reveals that he's been reborn because the dark is rising again and that they'll have to raise an army. LTT suggests starting in Emond's Field.

LTT's memories and personality will slowly merge with Rand's over time. To make sure that Rand remembers the dream LTT carves "a circle with a sinuous line through it" into his hand.

The dream sequence runs until almost the end of the prologue. Ctrl-f to "you must wake up" to resume the story.

14. coleam

coleam Death Eater

It has spoilers galore though, so not really the best way to read the series for the first time.

Edit: Just realized Ellisande was looking to do a re-read. Disregard the above in that case.