1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP AntiHyphen by The Gray Maze - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ffchen, Mar 16, 2012.

1. ffchen

ffchen Muggle

Title: AntiHyphen
    Author: The Gray Maze
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor/AU
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairings: Harry Potter/OC
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 51,736
    Updated: September 11, 2012
    Published: February 1, 2012

Summary: The watchful eyes of the adoring public are locked on to the girl-who-lived-to-be-frustrated-by-society rather than where they ought to be: on her scheming twin brother. Slytherin!Harry, no Potter favoritism.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7796463/1/AntiHyphen

I know there are a lot of AU stories out there where Harry is neglected and his twin is hailed as the Boy/Girl-Who-Lives. So, I was positively surprised when I found this story.

Harry is depicted as a cheerful, mischievous, manipulative and clever and somehow crazy Slytherin so far, growing up with his parents and his sister in hiding. Whereas he's outgoing and manipulative, his sister, who did vanquish Voldemort that night, is more reserved, introverted and suspicious of her brother's manipulations and cheerful behaviour. Nevertheless, there's no hate between these two - just a healthy dose of wariness what you often see between siblings.

James and especially Lily aren't blindly following Dumbledore and somehow, you get the feeling that they have their own agenda (especially Lily - " "Is something wrong, Albus?" She wondered.He sighed and shook his head ruefully. "Sometimes the sweetest apples… have the foulest worms inside." " - chapter 4 ).

They didn't coddle their children and raise them up to be able to think for and defend themselves. Some people and especially Dumbledore aren't very pleased that they isolated themselves, but they as well as their children don't give a f*ck about what he wants.

The story is solidly written, a welcome change from the floods of horrible stories that seem to take over ff.net. The caracters are nicely depicted, Harry's escapades and ideas are hilarious and there's minor (so far) Dumbledore-bashing.

I'd rate this fic as 3.5/5 - 4/5.

Checked by Minion, January 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  2. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. Infidel

Infidel Auror

That was fun. I like the differences between the Potter twins.

Lily seemingly planning to subjugate that wizarding world was a bit too much.

I will give it a 4/5.

4. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Where is this mentioned? Unless you are referring to the two main characters being Harry and Camellia(OC).

Edit: Ah, I see.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. ffchen

ffchen Muggle

That's what the author indicated for the pairing on ff.net. I'm not one to assume things on other people's work, I just copied what the author said.

6. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Author mentions in there profile that they like Hary/Oc
    I couldn't get into it, I read three chapters then gave up, then changed my mind and read to the midpoint of chapter six and gave up again. Nothing's really wrong with the story but nothing really sticks out either, its one of those stories where, if I were to follow it, every update I would have to go back and skim the previous chapter to remind me whats going on.

2.5/5

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Very mediocre story. The writing style is average, so it's leagues beyond most stories I've come across on FFnet lately, but it's still only average. 2.5/5.

8. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

It's a decent story, but not very memorable. The writing is okay and the story is okay, but it isn't Library worthy.

3/5

9. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it's better if you treat it as humor rather than an entirely serious story.

10. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Well, I like it so far. 3.5

11. Karnath

Karnath First Year

I just loved the scene where thet took Fluffy for a walk.

12. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I agree with Tet - it's not really meant to be taken seriously. It's not side-splittingly funny, but I think it's a nice, lighthearted fic and the characterizations are interesting.

4/5

13. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Have to agree. I like it so far. Plus it's a better story than a lot of the bullshit that's been put through the Review section in the last month or so. Everything else sounded boring as hell. This is refreshing for a change. Giving this a 4/5 for now. I like the sibling's personalities.

14. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I like it. It's nothing ground breaking but, as others already mentioned, a fun read none the less.

4/5

15. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read this yesterday, I think. Pretty fun read - there were alot of concepts that I enjoyed. Lily's awesome, and Harry's pretty fun. Even James is okay. The thing with Fluffy was awesome. The OC sister was pretty unique. All in all, an enjoyable read. You definitely have to read this with humor in mind, though.

The writing itself was pretty average, if a bit... spastic. Lighthearted and whimsical. The story is barely out of its baby steps, so who knows how it turns out, when the actual plot is introduced.

3.5/5, rounded down to 3. Fun, enjoyable read, but not quite library material.

16. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Nice little story so far. Characters are good, it's pleasant to read. Only negative is that not much of substance has actually happened, but hopefully all this talk of Harry's nature is building up to the plot here. But, eh. Hopefully this won't just end up following canon. I could really see that happening though.

4/5 for now.

17. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Heh, I had actually considered posting this to almost recommendable thread, but guess it doesn't matter much since it's already there.

The story is lighthearted, and humorous, one of those stories that you only read to pass time... And while it's not the greatest story, it's one of the better twinfic stories(so far), as there is not much to compare that wouldn't make you want to burn your eyeballs.

Of course if you started reading this with Santi's story in mind, you would still be vastly disappoint.

Anyway, I don't believe it's library worthy, but that doesn't mean it's not an enjoyable read. 3/5

18. saevanus

saevanus Third Year DLP Supporter

Fun and whimsical are apt descriptions. The writing doesn't get in the way of anything and I feel like some of the concepts introduced would have a lot of potential were it not for the irreverent, humorous tone.

I'd give this a three 'plus' out of five: entertaining but not really re-readable as is. The level of seriousness is accurately described by deciding to take Fluffy for a walk and somehow avoiding all notice. Oh, and bragging to the parents immediately after.

19. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Actually reminds me a little bit of the Addams family. lol. There's small, trace amounts of it, now that I think about it.

20. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I liked it so far. It's lighthearted, nevertheless we already see traces of a scheming manipulator. For a serious story it is overdone in places, i.e. with Fluffy, but I can live with that for now. We'll have to see if the author manages to balance out the humour portions and any upcoming more serious plotline.

There is a hint that Harry might the BWL instead of his sister the GWL

The letters as a device to summarise some events and switch between Hogwarts and the Potter family isn't that bad either. Harry does sound childish, but he still is an 11 year old boy enthusiastic about his life at Hogwarts. It's saying something about his life at home, that he is able to write about taking Fluffy for a walk.

4/5 for an interesting and promising start.