1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto as Orochimaru's apprentice

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Crimson13, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Or at least something similar. Finding stories that have Naruto train as Orochimaru's second is hard, finding ones that have Naruto look up to him rather than planning on killing him is much more difficult.

There are a few I've found that fit the bill but I'd have to go through them all to find ones that have a more mentor relationship with him.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7415078/1/Naruto_Ouroboros
    Although this really doesn't show Orochimaru as Naruto's mentor in a more...I dunno, fatherly wouldn't really be the word, it does have alot of what I want. I'd like Naruto to be a bit more anti-social/cynical but I really like this one.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3913366/1/A_Monsters_Lapdog
    I like the premise of this but Naruto swearing loyalty to Orochimaru after what he went through is a bit far-fetched. Still, the way the story is going is interesting and I'd like to see more. Also, the author is going to update; you just have to read her profile.

If anyone knows of some good stories along these lines I'd like to check them out.

2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I've read quite a few, but most are not worth mentioning.

I'd love to see something like blank101's Empire's Son. Imagine Orochimaru playing the master manipulator with a lot more in depth character development than you usually see in a Naruto fic.

When I get home I'll try to dig up two ones I liked where Naruto reluctantly follows Sasuke to Sound in an effort to protect his friend.

One is a nice oneshot where he ends up making friends there and becomes the Otokage, and another is a sequel to a time travel fic where they go to the future, see the monsters their future selves become, and promise to kill each other of they start to become too twisted.

3. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

I certainly appreciate it. I haven't looked for fics in the Naruto section in...Jesus, like half a year? I dread thinking about it, having to go through so much shit to find something that's at least mediocre is not fun.

I've thought that was an interesting idea of having Naruto go with Sasuke to Sound, it would be a nice divergence to the usual "follow Kishimoto's Naruto to the letter with only a few things missing".

Empire's Son is Star Wars, right? I haven't read it but I've seen people bring it up. Any good?

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, I agree completely. I really like fics where Naruto and Sasuke are friends. Either together in Team 7 or having Naruto follow him to Sound (and not due to him suddenly hating Konoha).

Problem with Naruto fics is they're all the same. It's limited in the number of fics you can see.

And yes, Empire's Son is Star Wars. Blank101's is one the best fanfic writers I've read. Read his other fic, the Son of Suns trilogy first. It is better. His depth of characterization is amazing.

5. fiva55

fiva55 Squib

I vaguely remember a fic where Naruto left Konoha for Sound with Hinata. He eventually won over the loyalty of the Sound Four and killed Orochimaru, taking over Sound. I can't remember the name though.

PS: I second the recommendation Empire's Son, it is a really well written story.

6. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

I think your talking about The Paths We Choose by lord of the land of fire. I like it but it's not a 5/5. It hasn't been updated in a while, I assume because the author keeps on making stories and takes forever to finish the others.

7. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Alright, found one of the ones I was talking about.

Fast Forward is the first fic, where they go to the future after the battle at Valley's End, and Pause is the sequel, where they return and decide to go to Sound together.

I'd hardly call them particularly amazing, but they were enjoyable when I read them 4 years ago.

The Paths We Choose was...decent (read it a while ago). Not hugely amazing for me, but it was a similar concept to that one-shot I mentioned before (which I can't find). I think I preferred the implementation in that more because Naruto still loved Konoha and only left to try to protect Sasuke. But his nature inevitably led him to gaining the trust and love of the people there. IIRC, Paths We Choose, Naruto is a complete arsehole.

8. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Not bad. They aren't amazing stories but they are interesting, thanks for showing them.

And yeah, Naruto is pretty much an asshole in The Paths We Choose. I like the fact that the author didn't suddenly make him hate everything about Konoka though, he was still loyal to Sarutobi and his betrayal (In Naruto's eye's at least) is still a sore spot for him. He's pretty overpowered though and alot of it isn't explained. I don't mind a character being powerful, just as long as it's explained and isn't perfect. There are some other cringing cliches though, I'd give it a 4/5 because it's somewhat what I want but without that I'd say 3.5/5

I might see if there's any Orochimaru Mentor stories later, I'm feeling like I can brave it for a while.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know, it's kinda surprising that Orochimaru didn't try to recruit Naruto when he was a kid in canon. His whole modus operandi when it came to gathering ninja was to prey on the isolated and persecuted so that he would gain their loyalty for getting them out of their crappy situation. I think I'd like to read a fic that had him do that.

EDIT: A decent fic.

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Especially given well, what he was.

I guess you could argue that:

1. Being the Kyuubi Jinchiruuki, Sarutobi would have probably have ANBU keeping an eye out for him. Orochimaru wouldn't have been able to get close.

2. Orochimaru was in Akatsuki at the time, and they didn't quite need Naruto then. They probably would not have been happy if Orochimaru had started doing shit for his own personal reasons.

11. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Yes, this. I can imagine it would be difficult for him to personally sneak into Konoha and recruit Naruto though, but then again he is a goddamn Sannin. Instead of taking him to Sound maybe he could help Kabuto and be a corrupting influence on Sasuke to bring him to Orochimaru? Really, the amount of things you could do with that...

Dammit, now I'm exciting myself over fics that don't exist. And now I just disappointed myself.

12. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Add in Danzo as well. I can't see him letting Naruto do what he wanted without having someone keep an eye on him.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  13. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

I forgot about Orochimaru being in Akatsuki at the time. Orochimaru being Orochimaru though I could imagine him throwing a wrench in Akatsuki's plan if it'll benefit him. For example, when he lost to Itachi he took the Akatsuki ring with him.

It is likely that Sarutobi did have someone shadow Naruto in his younger years and I can imagine Danzo placing one of his own to do the job. Danzo was somewhat allied with Orochimaru canon-wise so there is a possibility of him sending Naruto to Orochimaru to make a better weapon for Konoha. It's not the best explanation but it's within the bounds of canon.

14. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Danzo, sending a Jinchuuriki to Orochimaru, missing nin? Nope. Cannot happen.

15. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

And yet he allowed Orochimaru to experiment on him with the whole Sharingan arm, Shisui's mind-control eye, and giving him cells from Hashirama Senju which pretty much gave him a face on his shoulder. He also allied himself with Hanzo to somehow better his chances on being Hokage or bettering Konoha (Or whatever, that part's confusing.). If it'll strengthen Konoha, or more importantly, give him the chance to be Hokage he'll do whatever he thinks is best.

If by allowing Naruto to escape he could play this as making Sarutobi seem unfit for the position as Hokage and making him himself more favorably.

But then again that's my thoughts on the matter.

16. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, but Danzo did everything for Konoha's benefit in the end. Or at least, what he saw as Konoha's benefit. Orochimaru's experiments gave both him and Orochimaru benefits, and he probably could justify it.

Giving away access to arguably the most powerful being in the Ninja world to a missing nin intent with an intent of revenge against his old village? There's no way you could justify that if you were Danzo - even if it did kick Sarutobi off the throne.

17. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

I will admit that it's not the most great idea. It doesn't help that Danzo as a character, for me, didn't make some sense with a few of his actions. The Hanzo alliance for one.

One thing that occurred to me when typing this and reading over my previous post was Danzo's Shargiarm, the Senju cells, and Shisui's Mind control Sharingan. All have been shown to control the Tailed Beasts and specifically Kyuubi. You could say that even if Naruto was pitted against Konoha, Danzo could believe that he could control him and Kyuubi with those powers.

Again, it made sense to me.

18. Brukel

Still there would be the risk of Naruto being taken by any of the other villages if they found him and the Kyuubi being extracted and put in one of their kids. At least there were plenty of ABNU to stop that happening in Konoha. That would be the biggest risk in letting Naruto leave the village and go to Sound/Rice.

As far as the Hanzo stuff. I think that had something to do with getting rid of Nagato ect and Hanzo would ally with Konoha? I'm not sure on that one though its been a while since I read those chapters.

19. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Again, never said it was perfect. Just throwin' out ideas here. Do like discussing it though, makes for interesting ideas in case I suddenly become a competent writer.

On a later note I couldn't find anything worthwhile when going through ff.net, there's just...just so much shit. At this point it's not even finding a diamond in the ruff, I'd settle for quartz. Or something. The metaphor wasn't thought out entirely.

20. Brukel

Hell i'd just be happy for something that didn't have Naruto, Kiba and Sasuke going at it.

I'd really like to read one where Naruto is Itachi's apprentice or whatever. I think it would make for an interesting relationship with Sasuke if Naruto was suposed to be the one to get him to the point where he could have a chance of killing him.