1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Jake96er, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Jake96er

Jake96er First Year

Hey guys.

I just finished watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan and was wondering what DLP thought of it?

It's one of my favourite anime now.

I loved how it satires most mecha anime.

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I can't speak for the rest of DLP, but I absolutely loved it, too. It's one of my favorite animes (at this point, most of my favorites are mecha anime, actually. Probably not the best person to ask about this. :D )

3. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I, too, liked TTGL a lot more than I thought I would. You start watching it and its a silly mecha over-the-top anime with some funny parts and then halfway through you realize that you're getting a great coming of age story with awesome character development, plot progression and artwork. I liked the fact that they killed off
    Kamina.

Really unexpected and I think it really credits the writers.

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I loved TTGL. I've watched it a couple times now, and it's always a fun time. There's a couple derpy moments/episodes, but all in all I think it's a great anime that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Fun would be the key word for it, I think. It's not necessarily thought provoking, but you can enjoy yourself watching it.

5. Jake96er

Jake96er First Year

Have you seen the movies yet?

It's the same story but there are new fight scenes at the end.

The movies are good but not if you haven't seen the show first.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One of, if the not, best animes I've ever watched. Also, not taking itself seriously is an understatement. There is no logic in this show, whatsoever. Freaking awesome.

7. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's totally logic in the show, it's just that most of the logic stems from the premise that in the TTGL universe sufficient amounts of hot-blooded determination can accomplish anything.

8. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am also a great fan. However, I am confused by how you call it a 'satire'. I don't even want to hear about a mecha anime unless it sees the invisible and breaks the unbreakable.

9. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

There are few anime that make me want to get every piece of media regarding it. To this date, only 3 anime have made the list--Samurai Champloo, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Accurate synopsis of this show? "I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE WITH THE MOON!"

10. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Yeah, if anything TTGL is a celebration of all the old over-the-top mecha anime tropes that had fallen out of favor after Neon Genesis Evangelion. TTGL revels in being so utterly and ridiculously over the top that it turns right back around into being pure awesome.

11. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

This anime blew me away. Nearly 30 episodes and not a single boring moment in the whole series.

The only problem I had with TTGL was that, going into it, I didn't know I was supposed to leave logic at the door. I finally figured out I was supposed to by the fifth episode, and then the whole thing really kicked into high gear.

Okay, that's not much of a problem.

No, the real problem I had with TTGL was
    how the story treated Nia's character. That poor girl got dragged through the mud and I will never forgive TTGL for not giving her a better ending. Her and Simon earned and deserved one, and I shed manly tears when they didn't get it.

Oh, and
    fuck Rossiu.

12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Yeah, GAINAX really needs to take a good long look at themselves and how they operate, because the choice to give Gurren Lagann of all anime a GAINAX ending just blows my mind. It's bafflingly stupid.

13. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Nevertheless, anime was awesome and made me smile every time Simon talked about drilling the heavens.

14. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fixed Drilled that for you.

15. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

That's not what I said. What I actually said was:
    ...or something like that.

16. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ROSSIU LIED, PEOPLE DIED.

Nia felt kind of mary-sueish to me, but I do agree with you.

17. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Rossiu being so easily forgiven for everything was the one part of the series that really bugged me. If one of my friends stabs me in the back and tries to kill me, I definitely wouldn't drill through the fabric of space and time to just stop him from killing himself, then retire and put him back in charge of everything again.

18. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

See, I didn't find her sueish at all.

Realistically, she played a long-term stand-in for Kamina as a way to keep developing Simon, so she had absolutely massive shoes to fill. If she had been a more prolific character (compared to Kamina), then she definitely would have fit into the 'perfect female character' archetype.

Instead she was a little (read: a whole lot) lower-key, but still served her purpose. Whenever Simon got into a funk, she punched him in the teeth. Just more subtly.

Not to mention
    she became the reason why the second half of the show was so mind blowing. Sure, Simon would have fought back against Anti-Spiral even if they didn't use her as a conduit and steal her away, but he warped space, time, logic and, like, 80000 other fundamental principles just to get her back. And then he beat Anti-Spiral in a multidimensional, universe-quaking robot smackdown.

SHE DESERVED BETTER, DAMNIT!

19. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

TTGL = Mindblowingly Awesome.

/no more words needed.

20. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

One of the greatest shows I have ever had the pleasure of watching, very few things have come close to matching its sheer awesome. Also, I've only seen the first movie and it is awesome! I want to find a subbed version of the second so I can actually understand the damn fight at the end. I mean, honestly reality takes such a backseat in that fight, all the robots combine into one giant flaming Kamina that eventually destroys both of them. Then Simon and the Anti-Spiral eventually just end up fighting hand to hand trying to beat the shit out of each other until Simon forms a drill out of his own blood and stabs the a hole in the Anti-Spiral.