1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Turns.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Verse of Darkness, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

The prologue that I've posted on another thread and the suggesstions have made me decide to make a different turn.

• The prologue starts when Harry graduates, and either a Death Eater student kills Hermione or Ginny, not sure whom yet.
    • The Trio split off during their fifth year (in the prologue, descriptions of what happened through 4-7).
    • Harry is more well, political in a sense.
    • Harry will use the Dark Arts, however, I do intend for him to pick up on some Light Magic. So many stories have Harry learn the Dark Arts out of the blue, and than well, he's some kind of expert.
    • This story will be a HONKs, thought I don't know how to start the HONKS.
    • I plan on introducing a whole new set of branch magic (blood, soul, etc.) to a limited scale, however if I do, I think I'm gojgn to have to introduce a whole new plane of demons and whatnot (manifestations of dark and light).
    • Pureblood Cultures will play a role, however, I generally want some of the Great Families and whatnot to play a bigger role.
    • Betrayal, betrayal. Too many fanfictions have people with Harry loyal, no sign of betrayal or anything. I do plan on having some betrayal pushed in.
    • Harry's conenction wtih magic might force me to bring in the new set of magic and the demons, I'm not sure. I'm going to try my best to limited them fairly, if I do, I think I'm going to need help.
    • Harry WILL be using Light Magic over Dark Magic fairly, to give them a sense that he's faithful to the Ministry and Dumbledore.
    • Corrpution of Harry, maybe the Horcruxes will play a huge role in it.

Too many fics have Harry use Dark Magic a lot, and than just forget about Light. They talk about all this balance crap yet he continues to use the darkness more than the light. If I do place the Horcruxes within the story, I fear that it might steer away from the intention of the story, which would be to show how Harry would survive and adapt to the political and fated battles that flow through his adventures. The resemblance of him and Tom Riddle will show even further, and something about Lily will play a huge role as well.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Sooo... what's your point?
    Is this like some sort of "create a challange" challange?
    Do you need an actual plot to fit your wish list, or do you actually have one?

3. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

If your going to do a HONKS pairing, I would try to do it slowly. There isn't much in canon (ignoring HBP) that would start that pairing quickly. You could easily have him investigate (but not actually do) the auror program where he has her either show him around or run into him and take it from there.

As for the Horcruxes, I suppose it depends on how cunning you want your Lord Voldemort to be. In my opinion, if I was a genius Dark Lord, I would make at least one of my Horcruxes a grain of sand and bury it in the largest desert on earth or the bottom of an ocean, but that's just me. I think you should give him SOME reason why one of his non-loyal DE/spy/guy in battle doesn't AK his ass. But to have him ripped from his body and only survivng as a spirit everytime it happens...eh?

4. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I'm a little befuddled as well. Is this a challenge or do you want help/opinions on your ideas?

5. Verse of Darkness

Changed a few things, sorry.

Yeah, I was hoping to find some kind of plot. Especially some kind of political battle. Every time Harry gains Lord Potter/Black/whatnot, it's all; 'Lord Potter sacks Cornelius and replaces him with Arthur, attends one meeting, gives a few people some money, and he's dumped into a close.'

6. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

Do you want the story to be entirely politically based, or some balance between Action-Harry and Politician-Harry?

Uh...why does one imply the other? I like the idea of expanding on magical theory and ability, but if you set yourself up like this then you might steer yourself into either a non-HP world, too much happening without any good plot development behind it, or a weak wizarding world with things that are bigger and badder, but ignored up until now showing through. (Kind of like "A Second Chance at Life" type of story)

7. Verse of Darkness

More of a balance.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Well, the best way to do achieve all this is to make it into an AU, where Boy-Who-Lived is declared a charge of the state, instead of sent to the Dursleys Let's say, there was some smarter minister instead of Fudge, who decided that they keep an eye on BWL and use him for promotive purposes.

So, from the early ages, Harry's forced to interact with politicians and various people who wish to harm him or control him. His usual playground is the Ministry and Wizengamot, where he's often taken to be used as a bargaining chip for one side or the other. With time, he learns to manipulate politicians and use his cunning to stay alive and away from people like Malfoy.

The turning point could be Fudge taking the office, Fudge who is Dumbleore's puppet. You can either send Harry to Hogwarts or Dursleys when he's 8-9 (to give him a proper childhood).

As for Tonks, she could be Harry's security detail since Voldemort's return (that is, since Harry's 5th year).

9. Verse of Darkness

I like your idea. Being used by the Ministry, I likie. :) I think I'll send him to Hogwarts. Which is than, where Dumbledore might wanna be forgiven of his 'sins' due to the neglect of Tom Riddle. Hm, I was also thinking about sending Harry to Hogwarts for his fifth or third year, with Tonks as his guard.

Edit: I'll put him in for fifth year. Well, thanks for the suggesstion. If anyone wants to put an input feel free to do so. I'm off to planning.

10. Verse of Darkness

The outline so far;

Fifth Year
    - This year will be mostly about Harry not joining either the Light or Dark side. During this time, Harry picks off potential allies either through confrontation, blackmailing, manipulation and whatnot. Some will join Harry due to his reputation. So basically, this is building up his little group. He scews up the Ministry fairly by exposing corruption. HONKs development.
    *WIP!

Sixth Year
    - Sixth year will be the time when Harry gets accustomed to Hogwarts, and his enemies have been portrayed and set. Assassination attempts by Voldemort and discreetly by the Ministry due to their exposure and declining. Puzzles are being set and '...the power he knows not...' comes to play during the assassination attempt. Things blow out of proportion and either Hermione and Ginny still dies.
    *WIP!

Wizarding World
    - Skipping all of the Seventh Year, the beginning will start as Harry graduating and dwellving into knowledge to match both the Ministry, Voldemort and Dumbledore. This will basically be about War.
    *WIP!

11. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

Where is the link to the story?

12. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Don't have Hermione and Ginny play big roles. That's an automatic turn off in an AU. And don't make him in Gryffindor. Have him manipulate the hat to put him in Ravenclaw, or something so all the students he plans to use don't automatically dislike him and he can still become allies with them.

13. Verse of Darkness

Don't worry, Hermione and Ginny will be killed off as soon as possible. My dislike for them has been growing...

14. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

This is all well and nice. The plot is thought out and organized and it seems fairly original.

People get awesome ideas all the time.

The bigger (and more important) question is: Can you write it?

15. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

Sticking with a plot outline takes a lot of willpower. If you can stick with it through thick and thin, then you can write yourself a nice story, I suppose. Good luck, and get cracking!

16. Verse of Darkness

Lol, hopefully.

17. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

It seems a sound idea, to me. Of course, I've always had a soft spot for AU's where Harry comes to Hogwarts in 5th or 6th year. The only thing that you have to decide now before you begin writing is the atmosphere for the story. Do you want it to be dark, with Harry being a merciless person that will do anything to suit his needs? After that, all that you need to do is start writing, keep writing, and finish writing.

18. Verse of Darkness

A new twist that I've added to the story but I don't know how to work it out. It has to do something with his connection to magic. What if, the Department of Mysteris have decided to experiment on Harry? Injecting him with magical essences from a multitude of creatures to further and power the connection so that he could be a great assest. Though, I've been thinking how would this further his potential? What side-effects would happen? What about his adaptibly? The effect certain kinds of magic he has? This might be a twist of what IP suggested.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  19. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Well, you can do this:

After Voldemort's AK rebounded, the Unspeakables took Harry and performed some experiments on him, then obliviated everyone and put him at the Dursleys.

20. Verse of Darkness

That reminds me of RE a bit.