1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Wand and Shield by Roarian/Morta's Priest - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Roarian, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Title: Wand and Shield (HP/Avengers Xover)
    Author: Roarian/Morta's Priest
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Supernatural
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Chapters: 33
    Words: 260,787
    Updated: July 23, 2015
    Published: June 2, 2012

Summary: Harry Potter's fame and popularity haven't let up since the last war ended and he's not handling it well - he turns into a bit of a recluse. Hermione helps to search for a solution, before he goes completely crazy.

He arrives in what he thinks is his Tabula Rasa - a strange variation on his world, similar yet different. Nobody who ever even heard of the name 'Harry Potter' - because there is no Wizarding World. The perfect place to get away from all the noise.

He'd not expected S.H.I.E.L.D. to take an interest.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8177168/1/Wand_and_Shield
    DLP WbA Link: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=22026

This covers essentially all the marvel films that tie into Avengers as well, such as Iron Man, Thor and Incredible Hulk. Note that this means it's happening in the Marvel Movie Continuity (Earth-199999) and as such comics-related content may not be represented here, though it might be played with.

Originally inspired by chat in the DLP IRC, when the discussion was on the handful of HP/Avengers crossovers released in the wake of the movie; I set out to make one in which Harry's neither all hung up on the Master of Death thing nor a teenager. Starts about a decade after the events of DH and ignores the epilogue. (Harry's in his late twenties at the start, early thirties when the Avengers movie happens in the timeline.)

Checked by Minion, August 3, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  2. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

Enjoyable so far. Write more.

3. jpdt19

jpdt19 Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Indeed - would very much like to read more of this!

4. logiccosmic

logiccosmic DA Member

Very, very good so far.

I'm looking forward to all the little ripples that happen from Harry saving Tony's bacon.

5. Elsworth

Elsworth Fifth Year

Interesting concept, I like how oblivious Harry is to the problems and complications of modern cameras. Very JK Wizard-y. Keep it up, I'd love to see more.

6. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It'll be interesting to see how you balance the power levels in the fic. Would like some moar, please.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

That was pretty fun to read. I did notice that people seemed to wink alot, though. Maybe cut down on that a bit. ;)

8. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Yeah, it's good.
    You are sidesteaping, I think, all of the landmines so far, as well as making Harry believably oblivious to both muggle capabilities and funny enough to relax in afghanistan.
    I will be watching for more updates.

Also, the best avengers and hp crossover I have ever read. ;)

9. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm interested in seeing Harry's reaction to Asgard and the other realms.

10. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

If this is comic book Avengers, I can't wait until he meets Doctor Strange. Finally, a wizard with worse fashion sense than Dumbledore!

11. Dewgs

Dewgs Squib

Also advocating for more. Will be really interested to see how SHIELD ensnare him. I'm sure he won't take well to being dragged back into the spotlight.

Also some Badassery wouldn't go amiss at some point!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  12. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I'd say its probably only movie Avengers, I'd say.

Also, this is awesome. It's a really good crossover so far, with none of that shit that usually weighs down crappy FF.net crossovers. Need more - speaking of, are there any other half decent HP/Avengers stories around? I tried that Finding Home one, but it was pretty terrible and I was getting weird slash vibes constantly.

13. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

If you can be specific on what 'weighs down crappy ff.net crossovers' let me know, so I'm aware of what to avoid. ;) Also when it comes to the spotlight stuff, Tony's little surprise here probably won't score him any points. (Also when it comes to badassery, of course that's coming - I've already got one rather explosive scene planned for the near future, though it'll be after the little blow-up that's now inevitable.

Here's the current version of Chapter 4 I've got; I'm not too happy with it yet, but I hope I can tinker it into a proper state before the day is through.

Let me know what you think and most especially what could be improved etc. Specifics are best, of course.

<Chapter 4 added to the OP>

14. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

That... Was actually pretty damn awesome. Continue, please.

Edit: An update as I post, excellent timing, haha.

15. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Only thing that stood out to me.

In regards to 'the usual crossover crap' I'm mostly referring to the huge amounts of angst and depression expressed by Harry about changing universes or whatever (which might be realistic, but often gets dragged on and is annoying as hell at times) and the common situation where Harry is basically a god in the new setting due to magic. Though obviously we haven't seen too much yet, my initial impression is that everything is pretty balanced and Harry is hardly made infallible by magic.

Aside from those specific things, there is the usual low quality writing of your average story on FF.net that means crossovers are shitty representations of two universes rather than just one.

I also really like your characterisation of Tony - seems pretty spot on to me so far.

16. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Ah, I just dislike unnecessary angst in general, which is why I try to avoid it unless it makes a lot of sense - e.g. in my Naruto fic, the main character's lost a child and is understandably shaken by it, but his team won't let him be alone and depressed about it, trying to keep him positive. (It does work.)

Harry's got his canon magic, and a few odds and ends as you must've noticed - allows him to kick quite a bit of ass in various ways, but he's hardly bulletproof or unbeatable. Using the Elder Wand he could pull off some Thor-like area magic in a pinch, though. (Also, oblivious as he is to Muggle tech after having lived among wizards for nigh on two decades, Harry's not being as inconspicuous as he thinks. What works in a Wizarding World might not in the Muggle one.)

As for writing quality and characterization - I am not a fair judge. ;)

17. Dewgs

Dewgs Squib

"Seriously though – Obi want to thank you – the sentimental old coot.”

Obi will want to?

Still loving the reaction generated by Harry not appearing on any database. Secret badass? Definitely. What they're expecting? Ha.

Enjoying the idea of Harry continually stringing them on without realising or actually revealing what he is... And the wild conjecture and panic it will create as more is slowly revealed!

18. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Missing a word here. "Obi will want to thank you" works best in my opinion.

You know, I think this is a rather good story. You write a believable Harry and do a decent job at Tony's character, something I've never actually seen done well before.

19. ^_^

^_^ First Year

I really like this crossover. Harry's obliviousness to muggle technological capabilities seems realistic and his apparent magical ability seems easy enough to believe.

But Please, don't let him be shot with a tranquilizer by someone and then end up in a S.H.I.E.L.D cell without access to his wand and other things. Then, maybe telling the agents of how he switched universes. Maybe some random spell that protects against physical projectiles will save him...I hope.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Awesome story Roarian. I've read Torikaeru and while it's good, this is a fair bit better on various levels.

Tentative rating from me is 5/5, but I want to see what happens when the crap hits the fan before making that conclusive.

As others have said, you've got what appears to be a fairly well balanced protagonist in your Harry. I'd suspect him to be near the top of the pile though when it comes to ability, because, well... he is the protagonist. Spells plus apparition should make him rather dangerous. It's balanced by the technology of this world being even more advanced than ours and Harry's extreme lack of knowledge in that area anyway.

It adds up to something rather interesting. I also quite enjoyed reading the bits with Nick Fury in them, which I wouldn't have expected. They're a good length to not drag on and they are always interesting. The bit about wanting to know what kind of paint Harry watched dry and who put it there made me laugh out loud.

The only thing that stood out to me really was when Harry didn't care if Stark mentioned him to the press. I'd have expected Harry to say he preferred to be left out of it rather than agreeing.

Cheers. Looking forward to more.