1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP "Worth Dying For" by Shadow Rebirth - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Ched, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Title: Worth Dying For
    Author: Shadow Rebirth
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Library Category: Other Fandoms / Naruto
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: My name is Uzumaki Naruto. I am a shinobi by profession, an advisor by chance, and a warmonger according to my enemies. My story started with a death god, ended with an empire, and struck up a revolution somewhere along the way. AU, no pairings.

Links (edited August 2018):
    Archived 1st person (original reviews were for this version)
    Rewritten 3rd person (has not caught up to the original in terms of content - can't remember if I read it or not)

Alright, so I originally saw this story in "Almost Recommended" but I've been following it since then. It's recently passed 50k words and I thought it might be good enough to recommend for the library.

The premise is that Naruto's healing abilities are even better than they are in canon and he figures this out at some point as a child. He starts messing around and doing stuff that gets him more or less "killed" and at one point, before the start of canon, Naruto almost literally blows himself up trying to make an explosive tag. Kakashi, who saw the explosion, learns of the healing and takes Naruto to talk to the Hokage.

Naruto ends up being a Genin about 6 months earlier than he did in canon. His attitudes are similar to in canon but he doesn't have quite as warm a relationship with the Hokage. He is taken on by Kakashi as a student and we get some original content at first, though in more recent chapters we've caught up to the timeline and Naruto's classmates have graduated. He's going to be put on a team with some now.

Original content includes a couple of missions, one of which is obviously tying into a larger plot and includes an OC. It wasn't amazing, but it was better then most of the original storylines you see in fanfic. Something they run into on this mission is the cause for the "Sci-Fi" tag you see on ffnet. I have not gotten any actual Sci-Fi vibes from the story myself though.

Sasuke is OCD for some reason in this one. It's a new take on Sasuke, made me laugh.

TL;DR? It feels like Naruto to me, even if it does also feel a little weird at times. I am personally rating it at 4/5.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I've been reading this lately, and I have to admit it is actually quite good. I like how the author justifies the advanced healing: rather than the Kyuubi being afraid of dying and healing him, the Shinigami made Naruto a perfect prison. A prison that repairs itself as long as it has a prisoner. A concept I haven't come across in a fandom where practically every idea has been done so much it's become cliche.

Sasuke's OCD is another plot point that I haven't come across before. Usually if he has a mental disorder, it's some form of psychosis, inferiority/superiority complex or being just plain sociopathic. His need for order makes sense for his character and the events that he's been through, and gives him a distance from other characters and need for perfection that falls in line with his canon appearance in Part 1, without falling back on his cliched 'holier-than-thou' attitude.

The sci-fi tag comes from the fact that the Shinobi era is apparently post-apocalypse following the arrival of Juubi. Society has recovered in the 300-some years after the war, but remnants of the lost technology show up here and there. It seems to be used to set up events much later in the series, but whether it is war over the tech or Naruto using them as weapons has yet to be seen.

All in all, this fic is a breath of fresh air in an otherwise dying fandom. Perhaps some of these concepts have been used in other fics somewhere, but I doubt they were done as well as they have here. A 4.5/5 from me, with potential for a full 5 later.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Right, well, I didn't want to spoil it too much before folks have a chance to read it. ;)

Edit: Oh, and yeah -- I could see the rating increasing down the line as well. But like you I'm holding off on assuming. We need to get more into the meat of the story. It's been interesting so far but there's been a lot of set-up.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  4. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I started reading this just yesterday myself. Seems good so far, don't really like OC's so it's just a tad annoying. I'll continue reading further but for now I'll give it a 4/5.

5. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

4/5 so far. The Tiger feels a bit out of left field (and doesn't quite fit that well), but the rest is solid

6. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

The tiger seems like it'll be a pretty big part of future events, given the foreshadowing of Naruto's future title of Fire Country's Tiger General.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, the fic is only a rather long prologue at the minute, so the tiger's entrance feels more like a general character introduction than anything else.

I'm liking how Naruto and Noble Guy found a PDA and were completely mystified by it though. That was amusing. Not so sure about the chakra-tech though.

8. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    This Fic is awesome, Kakashi and Naruto interactions are wonderfully done. OCD Sasuke makes me laugh, he reminds me of Death The Kid from Soul Eater.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, OCD Sasuke is damn amusing. Wonder how long it will take for Naruto to cotton on and start tormenting him.

10. EmbroElite

EmbroElite Disappeared DLP Supporter

My opinion means next to nothing because I don't post much but I started reading fanfiction in the Naruto fandom a few years ago and this seems to be shaping up to be one of the better stories. Not much to really add, it's avoided the major problems most fics have so far, 4.5 for now.

11. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I've been following this for awhile and was hoping someone would rec it on DLP. A solid fic with great character building so far. His Sasuke is one of my favorites in awhile, because OCD Sasuke actually makes sense, and the switching between characters actually feels different. Like the way Sasuke thinks is way different from Naruto. I give the story a solid 5/5 because it's one of the best updating fics in the Naruto fandom.

12. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed, this is library-worthy. Can't really say anything else that hasn't been said already.

13. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

Honestly, I appreciate all the little things that the author is doing to differentiate the story from canon. For example, four man genin teams and no bell test. Some of them may be negligible and add little, but all together they make this story feel like a breath of fresh air from most of the rest of the fandom. I would give this story a 4/5 with every intention to raise that to 5/5 so long as the quality remains constant or improves.

14. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

New chaplet up.

That was eeeeeevil.

I agree that it is weird nobody's done this before.

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's one of these things that are so obvious that you would think it was done countless times before, yet it wasn't. Now we will see where the author will take it.

16. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I can't wait to see just how this changes everything. Also I liked the little glances intot he way Orochimaru thinks and classifies things.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Eh. I have my reservations for this.

Tsunade is an intelligent woman. Sure, she'll be blinded by her feelings for some time, a month, maybe even two, but eventually she'll notice how things are not right, how this Dan and Nawaki aren't what she wanted. Becuase for Orochimaru to persuade Tsunade he must have either given the ressurected free reign or a specific set of instructions to appease her. In both cases, Tsunade should figure it out, and sooner rather than later.

18. Napwneon

Napwneon Banned

Just updated, and what an update it was. It's definitely kicking the story into a new direction

19. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It looks promising but I can't quite warm up to Naruto himself though. He seems quite changed and a bit unlikable, as of now. OCD Sasuke is awesome though.

Will still give it a 4/5 though, if only for the refreshing changes and the solid writing style. Am definitely following it.

20. Kari Black

Kari Black DA Member

I like the originality. There are a lot of things I've not seen anywhere or only seen done badly. Oh, and add another vote for the awesomeness of OCD Sasuke. 4/5