1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Fantastic Elves and Where to Find Them by evansentranced - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Greener, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Title: Fantastic Elves and Where to Find Them
    Author: evansentranced
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Library Category: General/Alternate Universe
    Pairings: None
    Chapters: 12
    Words: 38,289
    Updated: September 8, 2012
    Published: June 8, 2012

Summary: After the Dursleys abandon six year old Harry in a park in Kent, Harry comes to the realization that he is an elf. Not a house elf, though. A forest elf. Never mind wizards vs muggles; Harry has his own thing going on. Character study, pre-Hogwarts, NOT a creature!fic, slightly cracky.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8197451/1/Fantastic_Elves_and_Where_to_Find_Them

So as the author says it is slightly cracky, however it's also poignant in places and where the story dips into whimsy, it remains charming rather than becoming silly. The writing is solid and i think it deserves a place in the library.

5/5 from me.

The author started a sequel:

Title: The Handbook of Elf Psychology
    Chapters:
    Words: 99,261
    Updated: June 22, 2016
    Published: September 9, 2012
    Summary: Sequel to Fantastic Elves and Where to Find Them! Harry is captured by wizards and brought to a castle. The wizards are obnoxious, but there's a lovely wood nearby which is quaintly named 'The Forbidden Forest'. Harry thinks that's adorable.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8509020/1/The-Handbook-of-Elf-Psychology

The author plans a third part:

Checked by Minion, June 24, 2016
    Marked the second part as complete.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Okay, I gotta admit, this is better than expected. I'm only on chapter 2 but I've already laughed out loud (literally) twice.

I hope Harry eventually gets older and goes to Hogwarts, or else that we see some other canon characters/places come into play. It's great so far but I think the cracky/cutesy aspects it will wear off in a few chapters if we don't move at least slightly more into canon territory... but maybe not.

Based on the little bit I've read I'd rate a preliminary 4/5. But I intend to keep reading later tonight or tomorrow and I'll update or post again at that time.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  3. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

I've been reading it, and I find it enjoyable. It is pretty whimsical and silly. I'd rate it 3.5/5 , but I can't really find any major problems with the story.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah -- just finished what's been posted.

Apparently there's only two more chapters left before the sequel, so this story (which is apparently a prologue to a larger one?) is almost over.

And given that the author has another HP story sitting at about 190k words it's safe to say that they'll manage to keep writing.

Solid 4/5. I can easily see the sequel being 5/5 if we manage to get into more canon-like events.

5. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I found this genuinely amusing. I didn't laugh out loud at it, but I did enjoy reading it.

Thanks for posting, it is nice to see that people outside DLP do occasionally post decent stories.

6. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

I liked this a lot. It's lighthearted, entertaining, and unique. I don't think it quite has that spark that would push it into 5/5 territory, but it's certainly a quality story.

4/5 from me as well, and I agree with Cheddar about the sequel's potential.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A good read for when you're in a vaguely happy mood and want to read something light. There's little in the way of plot and the author reuses the boon idea too many times, but other than that I can't find anything at fault with it, and even then I didn't really mind. A good read that I'll be forward to reading the updates for.

4/5

8. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It made me feel fuzzy inside. I like it.

4/5

9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Bloody brilliant and a refreshing read.

There's not too many fics out there that go off the wall, like this.

I did feel sad when his crup/dog died, though. :(

10. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

A good read for a crackfic, I was pleasently surprised.

4/5

11. DeathShade

DeathShade Fourth Year

Rather liked it :)
    Pretty lighthearted fun, and a quick read (it's not all that long).
    I agree on the overuse of the boon idea, but that doesn't really affect my enjoyment of this fic :)

12. insectamantidae

insectamantidae Professor

I really liked this. I thought that the boon idea was typically over-used by an unsocialized Harry - he doesn't have any friends to say "Dude. That's getting old. Stop it." So until he gets somewhere someone can point that out to him, he's going to stick with what works... like most 7 year olds socialized by snakes....

And KUDOS on the last bit with the snakes... well done. 4/5 because I demand more interaction with fantastically foul-mouthed woodland creatures.

13. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I loved it, plain and simple.

I just started Magical Relations by the same author because I loved it so much and I love that too. It's not deep, heavy, or even particularly pristine wordsmith, but it's really entertaining, funny and absolutely worth your time.

This is what fanfiction should be.

14. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

This story is awesome. A light-themed story (which is rare for these forums). Engaging, entertaining, adventurous, lively. Both humorous and serious. Has vivid, likable characters, good dialogues and descriptions. Best read in a long time. Easily 5/5.

15. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Not troll? Really? Reading brb.

EDIT: This was a nice lighthearted change of pace from a lot of what I've been reading lately, 4/5

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  16. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

It's really interesting, had a lot of nicely done details, and the most of the fun comes from the style, presentation, and over the top idea that drives the plot.

I honestly expected another type of elf entirely.

Elves have pointy ears, indeed. ;D

4.5/5 rounded up to five.

P.s. Lungs, the Magical relations is good, but doesn't come up to this one's quality. Also, I am sure I have read about Harry teaching both
    Anthony and Snape parseltongue, and that constantly bugs me. He had also worked for Finch.
    And I'm not sure if that the same fic or a different one I read, because I remembered it being worse than Magical Relations is.

17. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Like others said.
    It was a nice lighthearted fic.
    I would rate it 4/5. That said, I do want the sequel especially, if that will actually have a plot.

18. frantic

frantic Boosted

It is, and that makes me really annoyed because it was good up to that part.

"You can use it to teach me Parseltongue," Anthony explained, holding the snake out for Harry to take. "Blaise Zabini told me you have to look at a snake in order to speak it, which won't do us any good at all if you're to teach me without one."

19. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    didn't really bother me much, and technically, parseltongue can be taught/transferred in some way canonically (i.e. book 7).
    I certainly was reading it for the humorous and cutesy moments as opposed to the plot lol.

20. frantic

frantic Boosted

Yeah, but it just made Parseltongue less... magical for me, y'know? In my head it was always some sort of surreal thing, you couldn't really teach it or learn it.

Those moments are varied and many. If you just want those then yeah, Magical Relations is great.