1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Paranorman

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by songsparrow, Aug 27, 2012.

1. songsparrow

songsparrow First Year

I don't see any mention of ParaNorman, and think it's worth a go see, or at least rent it when it comes out on disc. It's stop motion animation, done by the people that did Coraline, and they do great work. Yeah, it's a kid's movie, but with plenty of dark humor for the rest of us to enjoy, and delivers a good message, to the grown-ups for a change, but does so in a way that is flows naturally out of the events of the story. It isn't preachy or forced. Nice to see something coming out of Tinsel Town with a positive message, and yet still manage to be this much fun.

Norman lives in a small New England town settled by Puritans. The town has been under "the witch's curse" since the Puritan founders found her guilty and had her put to death centuries before. Norman, who can see and speak to the dead and is bullied and shunned for it, is shocked when he is approached by his reclusive uncle, who is known as the weird old man that lives in a creepy house up by the cemetery. He tells Norman that he too can speak to the dead, and that he knows all about Norman. Every year on the anniversary of the witch's death, he has read at her graveside from a big red book. But he can feel his death is near, so this year and thereafter it will be Norman's job. He then dies, leaving Norman with a lot of unanswered questions!

And when Norman runs into problems and delays, the Puritan fathers climb from their graves - undead :)

Hoping Hotel Transylvania is just as good!

2. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

No way we would be interested in something like tha-
    Oh. Right. Carry on. :awesome

Seriously though, I do want to see this movie. I'm not willing to pay twelve bucks for it, but that's why we have the internet. What's the message? I ask only because I plan to completely ignore it when I watch the movie.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I saw it the other day with a friend for his birthday (apparently not many people are willing to go see kid's movies with him as it turns out).

It was good, I guess. *shrug* I'm not the best person to ask about movies as I tend to rarely find something to be awesome, but I didn't regret paying to go see it.

There were a lot of little things in it there for the adults. Jokes that kids wouldn't get, etc. It was also darker than most kids movies in some ways:

They outright state/admit that they tried and executed a little girl of around 10 years old. She is a character in the movie and is rather upset by this.

Also a few things that I found squicky, like a kid messing around a good bit with a corpse, that the kids probably just found outright humorous. Also some things like a kid who is obviously into girls (more than you usually see them admit in kids movies) and a reference to "the f-word" and whatnot.

So yeah, all in all it was pretty good. I didn't think it was good enough to warrant a thread about it, but then that's me.

The preview for Rise of the Guardians got me excited though -- that looked pretty cool.

4. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Cheddar man you are the best. I don't always watch kids movies, but when I do they're generally of this epic sort.