1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Iron Druid Chronicles

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Strider, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Strider

Strider First Year

Bonjour, mi amigos. As an avid follower of the Dresden Files, I found it hard to read any other books of the same caliber. During a recent foray to the B&N, I came across a book with the tagline: "It may be possible that Hearne and Atticus are the logical heir to Butcher and Dresden." - SFFWorld. It was Tricked by Kevin Hearne.

So I was all :colbert: until I started checking it out. And its actually very interesting. Its about a 2,100-year-old Celtic immortal named Atticus O'Sullivan who lives in Tempe, Arizona, basically a safe haven from all the crazy deities who want his head plastered above their fireplace. He's a Druid, which basically gives him power over the earth and other magic. Sometime in the distant past, he acquired a deadly sword called Fragarach, or the Answerer. Now, a Celtic god who has hunted Atticus for centuries is coming to town, and suffice it to say that fans will be hit by shit. I'll stop here, because I think I'm lapsing into blurb mode.

The series has distinct similarities to the Dresden Files. Atticus is a very snarky individual, and he tends to spout pop culture references that continuously remind me of our favorite wizard/PI. He has this Irish wolfhound that is a weird mixture of Bob and Mouse. Mouse, because he's highly intelligent and pretty freaking big, and Bob because of his attitude and horniness (I literally am not joking). The first-person is prose is almost identical to the Dresden Files, and all in all its a great read. If it weren't for the peculiar way Kevin Hearne mixes the pantheons and religions (you'll see for yourself. Kinda like how Bob was saying Spider-Man exists somewhere in creation, but to the point where you have multiple versions of Jesus chilling around the world. There's other issues as well), I'd rank it at a close second to Dresden Files. The first book is Hounded by Kevin Hearne, and if you haven't already read them, please go and do so! Cheers!

P.S. Sorry if this was the wrong place to post. I couldn't find anywhere else to put it, and it was similar to Dresden Files. Again, if I was wrong, my sincere apologies!

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds interesting, though I'm not going to be able to read the story without thinking of the sword as 'Fragglerock'. I'll give it a go while I've got nothing better to do and put a review up here.

Also, we have a Books Discussion forum for this type of recommendation.

3. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

Not even in the same league.

Look at the Garret Pi series by Glenn Cook, which is similar to Dresden, he doesn't have magic but lives in a pretty magical world.

4. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I mean, it's enjoyable, but much more popcorn than Dresden. Also, the whole nerd culture references thing feels so out of place I want to punch the author at times. That said, he does take the series in a fairly different direction which is nice. Nothing special but a decent time waster

5. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Benedict Jacka is who I consider a good substitute for Jim butcher when I want something fun to read. His Alex Verus series is damned fun to read so far.

J22
  6. Strider

Strider First Year

My bad. I'll take that into account the next time I do something like this. Thanks, Dovaekiin!

I agree with you guys. It honestly isn't that great of a series, but its pretty darn interesting and it had so many DF similarities (I mean, come on, he's got a young, hot apprentice that calls him sensei) that I thought it bore mentioning. Eh. Like Mutton said, a decent time waster. I like Oberon, though :D

That said, I'll make sure to check out all those other books soon. Thanks for the replies and recommendations!

7. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  8. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This is exactly how I feel about the series.

Also, here is the start of the discussion in the books thread about the Iron Druid Chronicles. Starts at post 1089.

Edit: I have it set to 40 posts per a page, adjust accordingly for those that don't.