1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Bitter Leaves and Blossoms Bright by callalili - T - Assassin's Creed

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nemrut, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: Bitter Leaves and Blossoms Bright
    Author: callalili
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Romance
    Fandom: Assassin's Creed
    Pairings: None so far
    Summary: The Hashshashin, I would learn, do not kill with blades alone.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5044928/1/Bitter_Leaves_and_Blossoms_Bright

Okay, it is an female OC fic from the first person pov that follows her from her childhood when she was sold to the Hashshashin and her life within the order. Story starts around ten years before the first Assassin's Creed or so and later on ties within the plot of the game. Altair appears later on but becomes an important character as well. It is very well written, the main character is rather likable and it seems well researched and historically accurate as far as I can tell. (Well, as accurate as Assassin's Creed can get, really. Not that I am an expert on that particular time-frame, mind you)

I really liked the way this story is being told, and how it doesn't judge certain moral values of the time by comparing it with our own. It has its flaws, for example, she gets a certain position that I don't think is all that realistic but the author makes it work and to be honest, I enjoyed reading it.

So yeah, if you are looking for some decent AC fanfiction, this story should work nicely.

4/5 with the potential of becoming 5/5 once it is completed. Unfortunately, the author hasn't updated in a year, so...might be abandoned but who knows, an update might hit any day now.

2. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I remember reading this. It was a good attempt to flesh out that world and have a plausible storyline other than the "Lets rehash AC1 but with an OC!"

3. PpJt

PpJt Second Year

I really enjoyed reading this. Is believable (I don't have a vast amount of knowledge in that period of history though) enough to not have you going 'WTF no you're wrong' at least. The OC whose viewpoint the fic is written from is likeable and the other characters are done well, OCs and canon characters both.

I agree with the OP - the way it doesn't shy away from the sexist nature of the world back then and doesn't judge it is part of why I like it so much. Possibly the only decent Assasin's Creed fic which isn't a crossover.

4. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Very good, this story. Easily a 4/5.

5. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I really enjoyed reading this. Unfortunately it seems to be dead.
    4/5 for what there is.