1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Sechrima, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

For the life of me, I can't find any decent Elder Scrolls fanfiction other than what's already on DLP. But maybe someone here knows of something I don't.

I'm not overly concerned about which part of the timeline the story takes place in, but I'd be particularly pleased with anything set during Morrowind and/or Skyrim. If possible, a male protagonist would be best. The less focus on romance, the better. A strong focus on action, interesting characters and plots, and clever references to lore are all what I'm looking for and failing to find on FF.net. A long story (preferably 80,000+ words) would be ideal.

2. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

Breaking the Dragon by Smaragdina is relatively short, lore heavy, and sticks with you for awhile. Set in Skyrim.
    "When the other Dragonborn takes her gauntleted hand in her gloved one to point at the statue of the dragon that crouches high over the altar, it is the same. Recognizeable. Always the same. Akatosh. Alduin." When you try to slay an aspect of the God of Time, time shatters - as two very different Dragonborns find out.
    4.5/5

White and Black by Zerbinetta is a complete novel length Dark Brotherhood fanfic set during Oblivion. The lead character is a female mage who is not the Champion of Kvatch who is slowly drawn into the affairs of the Dark Brotherhood. NOT a romance. Fairly dark.
    All fates start so simply; clean sheets of parchment, pure, allowing all manner of people to leave their mark. What matters isn't how much is written upon them - it's how dark the ink that stains them is that really counts.
    5/5

Blood and Steel by DualKatanas is a WIP Oblivion fic that is over 500,000 words long. Take that as you will. The lead character is an orc, there is little to no romance, and what little I remember of it had a heavy emphasis on adventure and grit.
    Gorgoth gro-Kharz, a brutal warrior-shaman from Orsinium, didn't expect to end up as the champion of the Nine, acclaimed by many as the Hero of Kvatch. But now that he finally has a cause worth fighting for, he and his new comrades will stop at nothing to defeat Mehrunes Dagon. Excuse the initially poor writing.
    2.5/5 (potentially better if I ever sit down and reread it)

The Neveragaine and The Neveragaine Strikes Back by Helena L are Morrowind questline fics with a female protagonist in the usually dreaded first person POV. The first story is complete at over 200,000 words and encompasses the main questline of the game, and the second story has thus far incorporated the Tribunal expansion. The stories are fairly well done, with very little and mostly incidental romance.
    Ada Ventura just wants to get back to her homeland of Cyrodiil, but a series of bizarre events conspire to force her down the path of the Nerevarine. She can't really be the reincarnation of a legendary Dunmer hero... can she?
    3.5-4/5

Raven Studios wrote a decent set of Oblivion stories. She wrote stand alone novelizations of three (and a half) major questlines with separate female protagonists, with each story winding together in surprising ways. They are primarily fantasy/adventure stories with a fair bit of romance, and, while the writing won't win any awards, they're my favorite stories in the fandom for the unbelievably fun plots and details the went into them along with the achievement of the atmosphere in each story that was lacking from the game itself.
    Forged in Darkness: A Dark Brotherhood Tale is a mystery wrapped up with family drama as Sarielle, the lead character, adapts to the Dark Brotherhood. Sarielle is a grimly gleeful character who gets far too attached to her cohorts far too quickly, and suffers for it.
    Sarielle left home and walked straight into the arms of the Dark Brotherhood. Now with a traitor threatening the only family she can belong to, Sarielle finds herself one of two who can stop the traitor.
    3/5
    Gatewalker: The Main Quest focuses on Ailirah, a Fighter's Guild girl who winds up in prison after a bad night at a bar. Ailirah's background and family heavily influence the plot over the course of the Main Quest - which, when completed is followed by the Knights of the Nine questline. (I was very confused when I finished the Main Quest as I was reading and there was another twenty thousand words to go.)
    The Oblivion Crisis is finally over, but life must go on, and there are those who would gladly exploit an Empire on crumbling foundations. As the burden of duty falls on the shoulders of an unwilling Champion, Ailirah has her work cut out for her.
    4/5
    And finally, Shivering Isles: Haze of Madness, which follows Lahallia, a girl who has lived for several years in Apocrypha and been tasked by Hermaeus Mora to attempt to document the Shivering Isles. Again. And her companion, a male Dark Seducer, Orphael, who is attempting investigations of his own. This story ties together the remaining mysteries from the first two stories neatly and hilariously.
    Orphael knows something is amiss within the Isles, but can't prove it. Lahallia finds herself Sheogorath's mortal champion, and can't wait to go home. With the forces of Order on the march, time in which to stop the Greymarch dwindles.
    4/5

My last recommendation is not really a recommendation, because I haven't read it yet. But it's been repeatedly recommended to me, and the only reason I haven't read it has been time constraints.

With a Dragonborn Like This by ms_katonic was started off by a kinkmeme prompt that requested someone write a story where, instead of an OC, the Dragonborn was a character from the game - like, say, Cicero. The prompt spawned an epic, completed, massive fanfic about Cicero the psychotic Dragonborn and Delphine.