1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Master of Death by rgm0005 - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by garion1500, Jan 17, 2013.

1. garion1500

garion1500 Third Year

Title: The Master of Death
    Author: rgm0005
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Supernatural
    Library Category: Alternate
    Pairings: None so far
    Chapters: 9
    Words: 54,284
    Updated: January 4, 2013
    Published: January 27, 2012

Summary: In one world, a old man's life ends. In another, a foolish wizard performs a ritual and calls upon the Master of Death. And in both, there is a sound-a sound like an oncoming train. To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7779108/1/The-Master-of-Death

I tried doing a search for this fic in the Library and looked through the 'almost recommended' thread but didn't find it so I figured this would be safe to post. The story is about a year old and is up to 54,000 words. It has a decent solid writing style with very few if any grammar errors or mistakes and is a crossover with the Dresden-verse.

In the HP-verse, Harry becomes a decorated Auror with a firm grasp of many kinds of magic as well as the Master of Death and eventually dies of old age. While at the crossover point between life and death he is notified by one of the train attendants that someone is attempting to summon Death's Master from another dimension, hence his jump to the Dresden-verse. In the Dresden-verse he is believed to be an Outsider rather like in Demon's Feign but somewhat more seriously written and there is a very good reason for others to consider him an Outsider from Beyond as he aids Dresden on and off.

I like this story mainly because while Harry is fairly wise, competent, and finally grew some common sense he still has his saving people thing but fights much smarter. He's not overpowered to the point of silliness and he's very believably written as are the other characters. Of course having Harry and the Gatekeeper go toe to toe in a magical battle doesn't hurt either.

I would say the story is worthy of 4/5. I won't give it 5/5 because he is not Joe or an author of similar awesomeness but it is a decent story so far in my estimation.

Checked by Minion, February 4, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

If I am not mistaken the author is Ryuugi Shi, and they have posted this fic in the Dresden Files Work By Author section. Link

As far as the story goes it is a good read, but I wish the author has a more reliable updating schedule. Definitely 4/5, I would give it full marks but the fic is still in the early stages of development.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yup. I remember reading it before, probably via that WbA link. I'm also a bit surprised it's not in the library.

I am not going to read it again right now, but based on my memory of it I'd put it at a 4.5/5.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The one fic titled "The Master of Death" that's actually good.

5. Dungbomb

Dungbomb First Year

You linked it to chapter 9

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

fixed the link.

7. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Ah, this one is a favorite of mine.

5/5 from me.

8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Definitely a story worthy of the library, despite its current peculiar direction.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Surely worthy of the Library.
    4.5/5

10. Russano

Russano Disappeared

5/5 from me. Absolutely love what's written so far, although i'm really confused by the whole underwater ship thing. Will just have to RAFO I guess. I'm a huge sucker for a Dumbledorian Harry.

11. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Tentative 4.5/5 from me. I think it has been posted here prematurely, barely anything happened in the story. That said, what is there is really promising.

12. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm not a Dresden fan, having only read the first book. However, the first few chapters were really interesting. I really liked the characterization of old Harry who has seen much and done a lot. I like the whole concept behind him being some kind of mystical figure as the Master of Death. Execution is pretty good, couple of typo here and there, but nothing serious.

I didn't like much the last chapter (with the giants and the underwater tower), but that might be because I couldn't see it's relevance to the story since I don't know anything about Dresden.

I think it might be a bit premature to rate as of now, but considering the actual chapter I'd give 4/5.

13. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

It's Ryuugi's fic. His muse is a woman I think. Very fickle.

14. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

Damn, I've been waiting for an update for some time now. It sucks too because Ryuugi left off right when Harry was going to meet the Fae. That was the part that I was waiting for.

To me, the best thing about this fic is Harry's use of Transfiguration. It's how I always pictured Dumbledore duelling. The old man was so damn good that he probably almost never needed to resort using lethal curses.

Anyway, this thing belongs in the library and in DLP's C2.

5/5

15. Master

Master First Year

Took me a while to remember who Justin was, so for most of the first chapter, I was pretty confused. Anyways, great story, and I especially liked the action scenes.
    5/5 from me