1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Last Day by TheAngelsHaveThePhoneBox -K- Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Aekiel, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Last Day
    Author: TheAngelsHaveThePhoneBox
    Rating: K
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure
    Pairing: None
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Chapters: 7
    Words: 21,144
    Updated: February 10, 2011
    Published: October 29, 2010

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6436132/1/The-Last-Day
    Summary: It's Ryan Murphy's last day of school. He started off worried about the future. Now he's worried about the aliens, the spaceships, and the weird blokes in bowties. Turns out, this might not just be the last day of school, but the last day of everything.

This is by the same author that did the Weeping Angels in Hogwarts story and is, in my opinion, much better written. The main character is an OC named Ryan that has just finished Sixth Form and is due to go to university after the summer.

It introduces a nifty new race called the Aniline as the first antagonists and has a decent (and very Who-ish) plot. The best thing about it though is that the author is writing thirteen stories with the same Companion, making it into an entire season's worth of Who fics. He's four stories in at the moment and still going strong. There are already signs of a long term arc unfolding too.

A nice 4/5 for me and a good read for if you've got half an hour to waste.

Sequels:

Title: The Thirteenth Floor
    Words: 20,201
    Updated: August 26, 2011
    Published: April 13, 2011
    Summary: Every hotel in New York has a floor that doesn't exist, hiding something the Doctor's only heard ghost stories about. With guests going missing, and all New York in danger, Ryan Murphy's first trip in the TARDIS might be a bumpy one. Episode 2 in a series
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6902457/1/The-Thirteenth-Floor

Title: The Nothing Planet
    Words: 24,726
    Updated: July 23, 2012
    Published: October 31, 2011
    Summary: In a small corner of a broken world, hundreds of people's lives are in danger. They have ungodly horrors closing in on them, and to even attempt to help would be a suicide mission. But those are the Doctor's favourite. Episode 3 in a series.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7510977/1/The-Nothing-Planet

Title: The Savior's Hand
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 5,929
    Updated: December 28, 2012
    Published: October 25, 2012
    Summary: Ryan's had enough, and he wants to go home. But going home will only lead him into his most dangerous adventure yet. A Government science project is tasked with fixing the world, but are actually being manipulated into burning it to cinders. The Doctor must shut the project down before it destroys everything. But will Ryan be fighting with him or against him? Episode 4 in a series.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8641815/1/The-Savior-s-Hand

Checked by Minion, March 6, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain attention.

No one else? I thought we have such a huge Dr. Who fanbase?

I hesitate to move it just based on Aekiel's review and rating.

3. Heart of the star

Heart of the star Squib

I read it some ago and I thought it was pretty good. It could have been improved, but then what can't? the flow was a bit off but it was still easy to read and i enjoyed it.

The main thing about it for me though was that it felt like Doctor Who, the story had the same feel to it as the actual show.
    The only thing i think could improve t would be if there was a little more mystery to it, but that's just personal preference.

Anyway 4.5/5

And the best part is. It's book one in a series.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pretty good. Captures the Doctor well, Ryan has the makings of a good Companion, and the arc plot looks intriguing. I'll check out the sequels at a later stage, but for now I'd say this is an easy 4/5.