1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete That Which Holds the Image by TheAngelsHaveThePhoneBox - Fiction K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Strider, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Strider

Strider First Year

Title: That Which Holds the Image
    Author: TheAngelsHaveThePhoneBox
    Rating: Fiction K+
    Genre: Adventure/Horror
    Library Category: Alternatives? (HP/Doctor Who)
    Pairings: NA
    Summary: Harry Potter faces a boggart that doesn't turn into a Dementor or even Voldermort, but into a horror from his childhood. Now the boggart isn't even a boggart anymore. There's no imitation. That which holds the image of an Angel, becomes itself an Angel.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7156582/1/That-Which-Holds-The-Image

To be honest, I've never seen a single episode of Doctor Who ever, but was immediately hooked by the first chapter.

The writing is solid and well-paced. There's plenty of suspense and chilling moments (in fact, I was just a few paragraphs in when I started having the urge to look over my shoulder). I think it ties in very well with the HP universe, and although I had no intention to ever watch Doctor Who, I now seriously want to try.

I don't know if any of you guys are Doctor Who fans, but as a newbie, I was seriously impressed. Take a read, I think it's worth it.

Oh, and don't blink. Ever.

2. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Ignore me. Too late, didn't read properly.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

First of all: This is a completed story. The author is apparently doing a sequel. I know that's in the original post but I wanted to point it out in case anyone else missed it (as I did).

Second, I thought it was fine to post HP-crossovers in the HP for review board. Am I wrong about that? I always figured it depended somewhat on the main character -- looking at the protagonist/POV character in this story shows it's Harry, so to me that should be here. If the primary POV was Doctor Who that'd be different.

But then again I've only glanced through the first chapter. Doesn't look too bad, and will check out the rest and leave a review/rating.

[Edit] First chapter of this seriously drew me in, damn. Reminds me of something Stephen King would write, but not quite as disturbing (which is a good thing).

4. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Its a crossover, not another fandom so it belongs here. Read this after seeing it in almost recommended about a month ago and I think it definitely deserves a place in the library. The tone and characters stay true to both Dr. Who and Harry Potter while telling an interesting story.

Dr. Who is defiantly worth checking out; at the least you should watch the episode Blink which introduced the Weeping Angels and inspired a lot of the details of this story. Its one of the best episodes and my personal favorite which is pretty amazing considering the main charter of the show barely appears.

Edit: Ninja'd

5. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Fuck, so it is. My apologies, dude, it's too late for me and I've evidently not had enough sleep.

Coincidentally, I have read that fic. Which makes my comment even more retarded.

6. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

I read this a while ago and it's really good. I'll echo the sentiments of others and say that it's worth seeing the "blink" episode of Doctor Who (you really don't need any background for that particular episode) for some context, however it's not necessary. 5/5 for a HP/DW crossover.

7. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

5/5 without reservation. Damn good.

8. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The story is mainly based in Hogwarts and its not that massive a crossover. There is a bad guy/statue and Doctor Who, but beyond that it is just a real interesting story to read that kept me captivated, even if it's only 8 chapters long. Plus, no prior knowledge of Doctor Who needed, which I know because I've never watched Doctor Who myself, but I've read various crossovers over the years and this is easily one of the better ones, if not the best.

The only thing is at the end of the story when they go to rescue the Professors from the past I doubt they would be running a fruit store, unless they had been mind fucked by the statue. It's only a little snippet at the end though so it's no big deal.

Easy 5/5.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They'd be running a fruit store because the Wizarding World would remember if Albus Dumbledore was around a couple of hundred years before his time.

10. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Pardon me, but is it DW-canon that you can rescue people from the past via the TARDIS?

Although I have to say, I wish the HP characters were a little less useless.
    4/5, and hoping there may be a worthy sequel.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, though in Blink he didn't because they needed a way to send a message forward in time. The long way.

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really liked this, and the angels are one of the only things I've seen, tv or film, in the past few years that have actually freaked me out a bit.

As a story, this was great. Well written, nice pacing, and no glaring typos.

However, as a crossover...

My first though on finishing the thing was "why did it need to be Harry Potter?"

Because the whole thing didn't need to really be set in the Potterverse. If you tweaked the story slightly, set it in Chicago, and had a phobophage come through as an angel, rather than a xenomorph, you'd have a very similar story. Or maybe a sunken statue finds itself in a camp, populated by half-humans, centaurs, dryads, and fauns.

A lot of the plot points were passive magic. The Cloak, and the Mirror, for example. The Angel wants the Mirror to gain even more power. Even though it has the entirety of a school, population of several hundred, and magic. Which is mentioned as making the energy it east so much better that it contemplates killing for the sake of it.
    The Mirror here, didn't feel fully explained. The Angel would get stupid levels of power no matter what it did. The cloak would allow the Angel to move anytime, same as the mirror.
    Powerful magical artefacts could be found in any setting, and invisibility cloaks are pretty damned common too.

Actual cast magic, or spells, or whatever, played a very small part in this. And if it were longer, that'd be bad. Doing a crossover without using both settings is silly, and not a crossover. As it is, I didn't mind, as this was too short for that to matter.

4/5

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

My rating: 4/5

I'd go into more detail but I can't decide what to say. The Weeping Angel bit was great, but Harry barely felt like Harry half the time? I don't know.

Worth reading, deserves to be in the library, but it was just missing something.

14. Golgar

Golgar Second Year DLP Supporter

4/5. It's fun to read, the suspension is great. The hopelessness of the fight againt the angel is described well.

What really irked me is the that Harry lets his friends keep his wand, and despite not liking it, doesn't even really insist on getting it back. He is defensless, and in addition to the angel, Sirius Black is still considered a threat.

15. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Awesome read. I am off to download Doctor Who series now after reading this. I don't know what is stopping a 5/5, but I'd rate it a 4.5/5.

16. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

I actually read this a long while back, but never thought that it was particularly brilliant. It is very well written, though, and the plot and characterisations are all quite well done. 4/5.

17. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

One of the best fics I read since the beginning of the year. Very well written, ingenious plot and fresh characterizations. A few scenes notwithstanding, the author respected the canon like personalities from the 3rd book, IMO.

5/5.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yes, although they often don't for one reason or another, which usually boils down to "It's more dramatic/emotional this way".

Anyway. I really enjoyed this. It's a smart idea, decently written and which merges the two universes pretty well. A few issues (the neat happy ending, the rather vague nature of the Angel's plan) aside, I'd cheerfully recommend this to anyone. 4/5

19. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

You apparently can't interfere with your own past, or specific fixed points in Time. You can fuck around with said fixed points in Time, though.

20. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Did they explain why? Also, (for I've only ever watched the episode "Blink" I know very little about the series) how far back in general are people thrown back into the past? In "Blink" one went to the thirties, the other to the seventies - is there a pattern/rule to it?