1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter: The Last Avatar by The Sorting Cat - T - Avatar: The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Tutorial Boss, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

Title: Harry Potter: The Last Avatar
    Author: The Sorting Cat
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Suspense
    Library Category: Alternative Universe
    Pairings: Unsure
    Summary: Why is Harry Potter considered the worst firebender in Gryffindor? Why doesn't he want to be noticed? Probably the same reason he dreams of drowning every night. [Harry Potter characters in an AU with magic replaced by the elemental powers of Avatar: The Last Airbender / Legend of Korra. Full summary inside.]
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8616362/...he-Last-Avatar

I was quite surprised that I found the lack of, well, this on the site. I was originally going to do nothing(read: lurk :mid1) and sit around on this site, but really, this is(personally) a very good fic.

Grammar-wise, I find no glaring punctuation errors. Though, I don't exactly pride myself as a high-quality writer. Or beta. There are a few here and there, but few and far between.

It seems quite simple of a plot at first - replace magic with bending, family alive, no evilness, placed in the ATLA 'verse(with some changes), but it starts revealing its depth as it goes. A bit confusing, but HP apparently had some hidden powers and whatnot, and it becomes more interesting as it unfolds.

It really is quite impressive though, how realistic the characters are and their personal development, as well as how it fits in with the different background. Awkward moments exist, but few and far between.

I don't really like HP/Ginny(which is sadly what it looks like so far - maybe it'll throw me a bone and be Harry/Cho) but it is good nethertheless, a solid read. 4/5. IMO.

Please don't tear me apart, vets...

2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I think this was posted in the Almost Rec thread; I remember it being a good enough read, and perhaps it's time for a re-read and catch up of what they have. I'd rate it a good 4/5, maybe 5 if his/her plot starts to move a bit.

3. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been keeping an eye on this, and holding back from posting it to For Review until the plot moves along somewhat. I think the reveal of the Avatar will make or break this story entirely.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I effing hate you sometimes Vir, seriously. As much as I hate this font. You are comic sans in an eye-searing color.

As for the story... 4.5/5 Rounding down to 4 for the thread (for now, potential to go up or down, depending on how the reveal and subsequent chapters go).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  5. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I was a bit iffy with it being a HP Avatar cross, because the few there has been have been shithouse. This fic though is full of win, and it just keeps on getting better. The way the author has done the merge is great, there is some awesome characterisation going on as well and the story is starting to get a move on.

With the way the story is going if it doesn't fall apart it will be a easy 5/5 rating. All I can say is that it needs more Dobby.

6. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

Right now I feel like this story's teetering on the edge of being a really good fic or a guilty pleasure. I'm not really a fan of the Nargle plot line. It seems kind of shoehorned into the plot and I feel like it hasn't been explained enough. I'd have preferred it if Harry was just a pacifist or something instead. I'd find that more believable than bugs breeding in his head.

I also really want to know whats up with the dream(vision?) about Crouch. The authors making a big deal about it(not to mention its one of the reasons for the Nargles) and depending on how he explains this, plus the reveal that Harry's the Avatar, could make or break this fic.

I don't know what OP is getting at saying that it looks like its going to be Harry/Ginny. In one of the latest chapters he basically told her to go fuck herself. If anything it looks more likely that its Harry/Hermione or any other pairing.

Right now I'll give the fic a 4/5 but that could easily change in the future. If nothing else this fic has reminded me that I really need to watch Legend of Korra.

7. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

Without any knowledge of Avatar, I am enjoying this fic so far. Occasionally it irritates me - it skips over some bits which I could be interested in, and fails to address others for a significant length of time - but it's still interesting.

8. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

My thoughts on the dreams are that the last Avatar was murdered as a child by Crouch and Harry is dreaming of his past life.

Although both should be interesting, I'm looking forward to the introduction of Voldemort and his place in society more than the reveal that Harry's the Avatar.

I'll wait for a little more to vote, but I'd round up to a 5/5 at the moment.

9. The Great Pandemonium

That makes a lot of sense actually. I kinda figured that the earth avatar died as a child but never thought that he/she was murdered.

10. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

I figured the same thing. The earth avatar was killed as a child, most likely drowned and the whole pomegranate dream was his memory. Interesting point: Harry sees a small child's body, dead and left to float on a river in a vision, and the child has the lightening bolt scar. Note that Harry does not recognize the child at all so it can't be a a younger, metaphorical version of him, nor does the story ever shows the presence of the scar on Harry.

For the story, I'm following it with much interest. The writing is very good, and it keeps my interest. Though the Luna bits, including the nargles (sp?) and especially her latest appearance seem rather pointless to me. Also, I'm rather looking forward to the triwizrd (tribender?) tournament thing and more importantly, the Voldemort introduction I believe it'll lead to.

I'll rate it 3.5/5 rounded up to 4/5.

11. Ched

I'm guessing the Nargles are some sort of "spirit world" thing that Harry, as the avatar, is struggling with. Luna being able to see/interact with them as well isn't too surprising.

I hadn't considered the previous!avatar murdered by Crouch angle -- nice.

12. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

No, Luna being able to see/interact with them isn't surprising. But it is god damned cliched. Even so, I can get behind that, except for her most recent appearance. WTF was that about? I think that the author wanted a creepy vibe or something, but to be honest, that whole scene just...bored me.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Pretty good as a crossover. The biggest danger so far is Luna. I usually hate this kind of characterization. Way I see it, Luna is a pleasant, if quirky, girl, and nothing more.

4/5

14. Tutorial Boss

In any such case, even if it suddenly becomes god-awful, I'll still probably continue reading it just so I can figure out who the bloody Avatar is.

15. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

Good fusion of the two universes. The way the author has adapted the characters to a different role is engaging and creative while still holding to the original concept in a recognizable form.

16. Ched

Gosh and golly gee. I wonder who it could possibly be? I have no idea whatsoever.

17. The Sorting Cat

The Sorting Cat Second Year

Hello! I'm the one writing this story, if you couldn't tell from my username.

I've used the DLP library to find good stories for years, but I only made an account very recently (when it was suggested by a couple of you guys in your reviews of this story). As my post count shows I haven't exactly been active… I'm not much of a forum person and, guess what, you guys can be pretty intimidating, so it seemed smart to try and get a grip on how things are done around these here parts before plunging in.

But it seemed silly not to pipe up when I noticed this thread, so here I am - available for questions and interested in hearing opinions. I'm new here, but I think a lot of my thoughts concerning fanfiction go hand in hand with the spirit of DLP.

I'm usually pretty tight-lipped about my plans, but for the purposes of making a good first impression I will confirm that this story is not Harry/Ginny. Because fuck that.

18. Tutorial Boss

YES! Thank you! :D

On the other hand, I'm really not sure if HP is actually the Avatar. Evidence leans quite heavily to so due to principle, but really, the closest piece of 'proof' is the Fire/Air parts, but isn't that more like copying the movements?(of course, the air could just be fanning the flames and not actually be more fire...)

19. The Great Pandemonium

Quote from the first chapter

To me this seems like Harry is about to go into the Avatar State but ends up resisting it. Not to mention hes the main character in a story in the Avatar universe.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  20. theronin

theronin Order Member

Maybe the title? And there have been a couple of subtle references to earthbending if I read it right. (edit: after reading above post, less subtle than I remembered)

The story is pretty entertaining so far. I hold the opinion that fireballs make everything better, so yea... Firebender Harry is great imo.