1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Ghost by onmysignalunleashwords - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by vinais, Apr 10, 2013.

1. vinais

vinais Second Year

Title: Ghost
    Author: Onmysignalunleashwords
    Rating: M
    Summary:From Ffn- "Her face. I remember her face." A boy trained to kill is brought into the light. Grey, different Naruto heavily stealth based and Root trained, but not in the traditional sense. How will he cope with that most dangerous of foes: emotion?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8116183/1/Ghost

A very different take on Naruto where he is not a chakra monster but rather a Stealth oriented nin. No uber Taijustu shenanigans either. Very well done and believable, loved the take on Konoha's political/military structure and relation between the Hokage and his Advisors (one in specific).

Definitely library worthy in my opinion, 4.5/5 (with .5 added for the completed status)

Another very minor but amusing and interesting part was the take on Kakashi's face under the mask and his interaction with Naruto on it.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Geez, why is this rated so low without a review of it yet? >.> Leave a review people, esp this early on.

Will check it out tonight.

3. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having read this, it's excellent. It's primarily a character piece. The action and combat and the rest of the plot is good and all, but the real draw of this story is the character development and interaction.

5/5, definitely library worthy.

If I had one criticism, it would be that the beginning is a bit weak.

Edit: I haven't read the end, probably a few chapters behind.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  4. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I found this to be mediocre at best. Really, really angsty, the Naruto standin made me want to punch the wall and the character motivations were aggravating.

5. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Naruto is comicial in this story. I remember reading the entire thing when it was still new and I did finish, but I can't remember a damn about it besides that the author seems to fail being able to understand emotions.

Also the last chapter made me mad for the sheer
    stupidity of Naruto getting killed off as a conclusion when he would be just as loyal and fine in a non-leadership position. YOU ARE WRONG, YOU MUST DIE. HURR DURR. Hell the entire light vs dark thing is dumb in general. Then, Kousei????

Resounding meh, (2*(2^.5) rounded down)/5.

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm 3/4 through it and loving it. The author pulled a cheap move with Baka, the Naruto-analogue, but even there his characterisation was deep and subtly different from canon-Naruto. Using Baka to railroad the early part of the plot was a little aggravating, but I was able to overlook it because everything else was good enough that I trusted the author and wanted to see what he did with it. He didn't disappoint.

I've largely skipped the author's notes, but what little I did read of them showed that he cared a little too much about what readers thought. Damn the shippers and the whingers; the author has a firm vision for his story and a good grasp on his characters and plot. Thankfully, I don't think it's affected the fic at all.

This is a very unique take on Naruto, and the first time I recall him being a proper ninja in a good story.

4.5/5 with points removed for some early sections with unchecked grammar, and because of the use of Baka to railroad the canon plot (though I'm not sure if that's a fair criticism at this point; could the story have been told as effectively without him?). My score might change when I finish reading.

---------- Post automerged at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

I've finished and my score stands. I thought it ended well.

I feel the very last word did not need to be there and only distracted from the scene. It would've been better left unwritten.

4.5/5

7. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

Read this awhile back, probably the only time I will like the naruhina pairing ever. Thought the genjustu type for chakra was a bit weak but a solid 4/5.

8. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

4/5

It has its flaws. It's not too bad and its a pretty good time waster. I do like the part where he goes on an impromtu mission to assassinate Sasuke. That was interesting.

Though that first chapter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-ClutaN_I

Look familiar?