1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Defiance

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Krogan, May 1, 2013.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone else watching this besides me? Im really starting to enjoy this, it might seem a touch like your cookie cutter scifi show but I really like the character interactions. I thought it was just a great scene in the star of the pilot when Nolan and Irisa are singing that Johnny Cash song while they head to the Ark crash site.

As for the latest episode, I thought it was great but fuck me I felt bad for Nolan. Is he the greatest father in the world? No. Could he have handled things with Irisas visions better? Probably. It's pretty obvious though that Irisa's parents were complicit in or actively tried to have something terrible done to her and Nolan saved her from it. It's hard for me to see how he's the bad guy for thinking "She went through some terrible shit when she was little, this is just damage from that" as opposed to "She says she's having visions, obviously the god of her people has granted her psychic visions of the past."

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I went into Defiance thinking it was going to be the next Battlestar Galactica / Farscape.

I was severely disappointed. Typical SyFy channel shlock.

1. The writing is bad.
    2. The characters aren't interesting in the slightest.
    3. The big-budget effects are superfluous and unnecessary.
    4. The actors, save for Tony Curran (who for some reason is nowhere near as famous as he could and should be), are all pretty terrible. I want to beat their blank emotionless faces with a stick.

3. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Reminds me of Eureka actually. Outsider comes in, plays sheriff and it becomes a mystery of the week kind of thing with a slow overall plot.

As for terrible acting. I usually always find the first few episodes on any show has terrible acting. All the actors are trying to find their characters. I didn't think it was bad for the start of a series like this.

It's definitely not gonna be another Galactica or Farscape though. It's another Eureka.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thanks, Kai. That was exactly what I wanted to know.

5. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Awww, fuck-fuckity-fuck-fuck-fuck.

I was really hoping for some Farscape.

To this day, it remains the best sci-fi I've ever watched. This is now a Farscape quote thread:

Crichton: 'If he masters wormhole technology, what will he use it for?'
    Scorpius: 'Faster delivery of pizzas.'

Harvey: Kill her! Then we'll have pizza! And margherita shooters! Go on John, do it. Do it!
    Crichton: No one has margheritas with pizza! <shoots Harvey>

"But you said you want to go back to this Earth. A place filled with pain and suffering."
    "Well, you guys don't have chocolate."
    --Aeryn & Crichton; "They've Got a Secret"

"Einstein: Time.
    John Crichton: Flies.
    Einstein: Time.
    John Crichton: Bandits.
    John Crichton: Wounds all heals.
    John Crichton: [sings] Rosemary and...
    John Crichton: Time ends.

Aeryn Sun: Why don't you make another speech, you self-important, deficient little man. All you ever do is talk. Your father was the hero, you know. He did things. You, you're just this test monkey that screwed up your first experiment.
    John Crichton: [laughing hysterically] That is good. That is fantastic, coming from a frigid, flat-butted Peacekeeper SKANK.

Crais (to John): You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney. If you cannot afford one, tough noogies! You can make one phone call. I recommend Trixie 976-555-LOVE. Do you understand these rights as I have explained them to you? Well, do you, punk??
    John: No.
    Crais: Then I can't arrest you!

Crichton: What do I want? What do I want? I have not been chasing my ass all over the galaxy trying to pull out chunks of my brain. I have not been sneaking fembots and Screeths into the place where I live. You want something. You. You want what's inside my head. You want what I know about wormholes. Because I can leap tall galaxies in a single bound. I can scorch planets with a wave of my hand. And you and you and you can't do jack.

Crichton: Hi... Honey. Huh. Guess what I did at work today? I wore a bomb. A nuclear bomb in a field of flowers. I could get lucky. Tomorrow I could have a bigger bomb. I could kill... more people. Maybe they'll be innocent people. Children... maybe.

Farscape defined my last decade.

6. Infidel

Infidel Auror

I watched the first episode and found it difficult to complete. The plot had all the cliche's, teenage angst, sacrifice, etc and I'm sick and tired of sci-fi filled with aliens that look, think and have feelings that are very similar to humans. A little originality would not be amiss.

I understand that it's much easier for viewers to relate to aliens that look like humans, but I want to try watching a series with strange aliens and try relating to them. It would be an interesting premise. Any suggestions?

7. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Just because Defiance has a "standard" start doesn't mean it won't turn into Farscape-level epicness. Farscape didn't start off as epic as it became; it took time to become my favourite TV show ever and Chricton's journey to insanity will forever be one of my favourite character arcs. It did that by starting off establishing the standard archetypes and characters then making them crazy, drenching them in sixteen types of alien vomit, dressing them all in tight-fitting leather, and then throwing them through the mind-bending plots ever. And it was fucking awesome.

Defiance is great so far. We don't get enough scifi like this as it is, and what I'm getting is enjoyable, and has awesome potential. Come on, there's complexities of inter-alien relations! Crazy terraforming accidents all over Earth! A million other frontier town dramas! If it goes the crazy leather vomit route, all the better, but if it becomes its own thing about an examination of post-apocalyptic alien-human relations and the follies of both sides in trying to let go of the past... Oh wait, it already is that. And that's just too cool to not keep watching. So fuck all y'all, I'm sticking with this, and it's going to be awesome.

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I didn't say it wasn't enjoyable. I watched Eureka all the way toward the end and will continue to watch Defiance; but I don't expect to get much more out of it than I did with Eureka.

9. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Has anyone tried the video game though?

10. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I have never respected you more than I have now.

Farscape is perhaps my favourite TV show of all time. 24 is the only other I can honestly say I've enjoyed anywhere near as much on repeat watches.

As a fellow Aussie, I will help in your quest to make this a Farscape quote thread.

-----------

D'Argo: Well, now I can only speak truth, and that comes as good and bad news.
    John: All right, give me the bad news first.
    D'Argo: The bad news is that you're married, and you must endure as a statue for eighty cycles in a strange world.
    John: What's the good news?
    D'Argo: Chiana and I are having fantastic sex.

(Crichton and D'Argo are play Rock, Paper, Scissors)
    Crichton: Again?
    D'Argo: Yeah.
    Crichton: One, two, three.
    (John does paper, D'Argo does rock)
    D'Argo: Again, I win.
    Crichton: No, I win. Paper wraps rocks.
    D'Argo: No, paper cannot possibly beat rock.
    Crichton: It does. Paper beats rock.
    D'Argo: Rock rips through paper.
    Crichton: D'Argo, that's not how it works. Paper beats rocks.
    D'Argo: That's unrealistic.
    Crichton: Well, it's the rules. And it's not supposed to be realistic, it's supposed to be entertaining.
    D'Argo: My coma was more entertaining.

Jool: "You know, we don't have weapons on our planet; we don't have violence; we don't have war!"
    Chiana: (Smacking Jool hard)
    Jool: "What the frell?!" (and smacks Chiana back, equally hard)
    Chiana: (landing another blow): "See! Violence. You'll get the hang of it."

"What if the creature's waiting?"
    "Then, piss it off."
    "How?"
    "Pretend it's me."
    --Chiana and John

"No Dominar of Hynaria ever travels in reverse."
    "Well, turn around and pretend you're going forward."
    --Rygel and John

One of my favourite moments in the entire series starts from around 5:50. Our lead man starting to really come in to his own, using the ignorance of other species about humans against them. To naturally hilarious ends, of course.

------------

On topic though, the first episode was passable but it wasn't a premise that held my interest. Which is disappointing because of the obvious Farscape connection, Grant Bowler, Julie Benz and Mia Kirshner (whom played her role fantastically on 24) are actors I know/have enjoyed in the past.

I'm not an MMORPG fan. But even to me the video game seemed average from the thirty or forty minutes of footage I've seen.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "I DON'T CARE ABOUT CRACKERS!!!"

-John Crichton

12. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

It's times like this one that make me miss Shezza's best fic, Harry Farscape Potter.

Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head~

13. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater