1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Sue's Story by Resourceful-Idiot - T

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Lutris, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Title: A Sue's Story
    Author: Resourceful-Idiot
    Rating: T
    Genre: Parody/Adventure
    Category: Humor
    Chapters: 16
    Words: 86,893
    Updated: December 21, 2005
    Published: April 10, 2004

Summary: They’re annoying. They’re parasitic. And now they’ve realised. Canon has never been in so much trouble. A full cast of Sues, Stus and triplepronged cutlery!
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1811995/1/

My Summary: Before all of you get any incensed about the concept of a Sues ONLY story, hear me out. This story is awesome- if only for the whole base idea for it. There just aren't any stories with any amount of good Sues or Stus. However, this story is purely entertaining.

It's not, funny, per se, but more of a parody on the whole Sue's and Stu's are parasitic, evil, annoying freaks of the whole fandom- any fandom. This story has a different take on the whole idea in a Matrix-esque sort of way.

Basically, you have the main character, originally named Serena Amber Mercedes, your average Mary-Sue, about to get on the Hogwarts Express at Platform Nine-and-Three-Quarters. Then she gets captured by a man named Richard- who claims to have been a Stu. According to him,

“You know about werewolves, Veela, vampires, right? In some ways, very human. In others, very not. Loosely, we fit into that category. Almost human.”

It may not rock your boat, but at least try to worm past the first two chapters.

I'm putting this into my Favorites :)

Another quote, if you want the extra prodding-

"Because Field is hard," Jackie replied sharply, "Even after all that we lose people. Not all Sues are as easy to bring in as you were. We've seen vampires, werewolves, ninjas, part-anything's, Elementals, Elves, Angels, death-ray vision and Unicorns, which are a lot less ethereal and a lot more highly condensed, spiked cavalry charge when you're face-to-face with one. And they were the ones we could classify. Dealing with unleashed Sues isn't something you do lightly."-

Checked by Minion, February 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  2. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Just... Wow.

So if you feel like reading something that's halfway between a Harry Potter fanfic and an original novel, this is the fic for you. All of the characters are OCs (Do OCs count as OCs when there are no non-OCs? Does a tree falling in a forest make a sound if nobody hears it?), and the "normal" parts and events of the Potterverse serve only as a background to the story. That being said, it's pretty damn good.

This story does have a silly premise, but it draws you into that "silly" premise, which certainly isn't silly from the viewpoints of any of the characters. It gets outrageous at times, but no more outrageous than the typical fantasy novel you might pick up at the bookstore. It takes itself rather seriously, but I've always liked a good tale of Epic-ry.

I daresay it's aged far better than most other fanfic from its 2005 era.

5/5

3. jpdt19

jpdt19 Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Definitely, interesting! I like this, and it's readable! I'd recomend it simply as a totally new direction. It's not deliberately funny per se, but as Lutis Argutriae said, there are definitely momments/small references that make you grin.

The use of "Spork" for example as a technical term! :D

Edit: Just finished reading.

4/5 definitely!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  4. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Huh - not what I was expecting. Most parody fics are designed to showcase the parody, nothing more or less. This one merely uses the parody as back story, and then goes off on its own trip to God-knows-where. It's really a sort of semi-original genfic.

There are a few weaknesses in the narrative, particularly during the action sequences, that prevent me from considering it true excellence. But the writing quality was still quite good, and the story was very entertaining. Rhys is correct when he says that it's aged well; the fact that it has so little to do with canon is probably part of the reason why.

A solid 4/5.

5. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

It's... engrossing is the best word for It I think. Considering it's entirely OC's with only brief and flirtatious contact with the 'potterverse' it's a surprisingly good read. Dunno if it really counts as potter fiction, kinda like Flairgold's 'Second chance at life' series in that respect. good none the less though.

4/5

6. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I got a little bored during the action towards the end. If not for that, it would've been 5/5. As it is, 4.5/5, for "sporking"! The summary threw me off, but you should read it - it's good!

7. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I read it a while ago, and enjoyed it. It was a real tease with all things HP, but I wasn't really going into the story expecting it so...

4/5