1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

At the Hands of the Other by The-Caitiff - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Jul 10, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: At the Hands of the Other
    Author: The-Caitiff
    Rating: T
    Genre: Mystery/Supernatural
    Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Status: WIP (2 chapters ATM, but the author is known as a regular updater)
    Summary: Summer after fifth year. Voldemort kidnaps Harry and they agree to fulfill the prophecy once and for all. What starts as a simple duel to the death gets complicated real quick.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3036211/1/

Basically, Voldemort learns the Prophecy and decides that, in order to kill Harry, he must be trained to become his 'equal'. Thus, he starts teaching Harry everything he knows and pushing him through rituals, so they could finish their conflict once and for all.

The writting style is very simplistic, plot is completely surreal and illogical and characters are OOC, but for some reason, I rather liked this story. A nice light read that will probably be updated regulary. 3/5

2. zenaku

zenaku First Year

Darn it. I was working on the post for this. Ah well, you beat me.
    True, some of the characters are ooc, but its still good. I love how Voldemort shoots down the whole 'the power he knows not is love' thing.

3. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I think this story is very on par with the author's usual work. I doubt it will turn into an outstanding fic, but it is entertaining, well written and a fairly original idea. I think the fact that the plot has a lot of room to move and grow is a big plus and is what is keeping me really interested in this story. In fact, that tends to be what I like about all of The-Caitiff's fics: I never really know what direction they will go. With the lack of really outstanding currently in progress fics out there, this is good example of the type of story to keep in mind. It updates fairly regularly (probably) and it is unique and entertaining, even if it isn't a classic in the making.

4. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

The genre seems kind of wrong; it's more like a humour to me or is it just me who laugh at the dialogs in the fic?

Just like IP said, it is written rather simplistic, a little too simplistic if you ask me. The story also feels like a monologue, the dialogs give an impression that the characters can read each others mind.

Oh well, it was still a entertaining, so a guess I'll give it a 2.5 rating in the scale of 5, a bit below average but not too bad to be scraped.

5. mcatrage

mcatrage Raptured to Hell

wow i really like this story (someone finally teaching harry and its not some ancient person that makes harry some god)

i found the start pretty funny and the whole interpretation of the prohecy but its a really cool idea.

hope its updated often

6. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Seems kinda...bland

I don't like it. I give it a 2

Unreccomended

Edit: oops wrong number ehheh

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its light entertainment at its best. IM not going to continue following it, but I odn't begrudge the tme I spent reading it. 3

8. Leibhaftige Finsternis

Leibhaftige Finsternis First Year

It is a good read for light entertainment. I'll probably continue to read this as it is one of the more unique ideas I've seen done. 3 out of 5

9. Myst

Myst Headmaster

It wasnt the bad, but it wasnt that good. I'll give it a 3.

10. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Well i like the idea though it seems rather far-fetched.
    it passes as something id read just to pass the time.
    of course its only 2 chapters long and it could develop into a slightly better fic.

but based purely on these 2 chapters id say a 2.5 out of 5.
    if it seems to take some interesting twists later on or some oother developments then id say at best this is a 3.5-4 out of 5.

11. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

NOt a bad fic. I give it a 3 so far.

12. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Gah, I can't stand reading this fic.

Simplistic writing, no kidding. It is only a step or two above Run, Spot, Run.

There is hardly any description at all, it is ridiculous how little there is, it seems more like a movie script than a story.

The dialog, which is the majority of the story, is very unrealistic and reminds me of a badly dubbed kung fu flick without the amusingly off lip syncing.

That is it, this is not a Harry Potter fic but the movie script of a badly dubbed kung fu movie masquerading as a Harry Potter fanfic.

I was going to review this story and recommend that this person read some more books and get help from their English Teacher because surely this person can't be any older than Junior High age.

I checked, the author is a twenty-two year old Mechanical Engineering student. I sure hope they are a much better at that than writing, jeez.

Oh, and I looked through the profile and found this for another one of their fics:

That's right boys and girls, that possible plot twist you are hoping for? It probably will be hot boy-on-snakeman buttsecks.

:shudders:

A definite 0/5.

13. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

It's like reading a children book in fast forward. Seriously not something you would expect from a twenty-two year old. It's bad in the beginning and doesnt improve anytime soon. The idea is good but the author needs to improve his skills and rewrite the story.

14. zenaku

zenaku First Year

Third chapter is up. And all I can say is... BWahahahahaha!
    Yep. Voldemort is still in character. Sure, he has to make Harry more powerful, but he is choosing the ways that are most painful, most likely to fail, most likely to cause permanent problems. After all, Harry is protected by the prophecy. So he might as well make this as enjoyable as he can:)

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Heh, good thing I overlooked bad writing style and gave this story a chance. New chapter is great.

16. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Meh, I didn't think it was that great. Decent action and a new take on a familiar bond. Dialogue still sucks, though. Still, it was the best chapter yet.

17. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Meh, it's alright. Good enough not to get the trash bin. I don't think I've ever seen a fic where Harry bonds to Hedwig and gets amazing Owl powers before.

18. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

I liked it. Its quite funny and a light read and it's got new ideas. Please don't put it into the bin.

19. Rhea

Rhea First Year

I'm still not sure about the genre of this fic. But anyway, it is amusing. I didn't like the first and second chapter, but the third and fourth are good.
    If nothing else, this fic is different.

20. zenaku

zenaku First Year

That's right. He's now got AMAZING owl powers! Including, "to be able to stare at my own bum. If I were gay, that might be a nice arse."

And on that note, the fourth chapter is now up. Nothing really note worthy about it. As for genre, I'd go with humor.