1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Anti-Cliche` Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Name thing's which have never been done, or thing's which have been done and not abused to pieces.

My contribution shall be the Merepeople of Hogwarts Lake, they have been left out of the spot light and are plotting against the Wizarding world. :p

2. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

Harry gets raised by someone other than the Dursleys (I know that that plot idea has been done numerous times, but hear me out), and goes to Hogwarts with a personality frighteningly similar to Dave Lister

3. KeshinNoAkui

KeshinNoAkui Seventh Year

Apathetic Harry from a young age. In other words, when he gets to Hogwarts he's apathetic and realistic.

Take Slytherin traits to the max. In other words, put up a facade for everyone to see, while planning something that will shock and astound them. Would be better suited for it to start early in Hogwarts, as it makes the story much easier to manipulate.

4. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Harry as the heir of hufflepuff.

5. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

Harry with all the charm, wit, and social grace of an Alsation dog after a head-swap operation.

...Wait, that's Canon!Harry. :p

I got it! Bastard!Harry on the scale that would cause Gendo Ikari to crap his pants out of fear.

6. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

There's about a million things, each as silly as the other. E.g. Harry growing up in Compton and joining NWA.

That has actually been done to death. He's been the heir of all 4 founders simultaneously so many times it isn't funny.

7. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

Muggles teachers/neighbours discovering the neglect Harry experiences from the Dursley.

Harry attended a different magical school.

Harry discovers his metamorphmagus ability before knowing about magic.

Harry discovers that he can talk to snakes before knowing about magic.

Harry has a good time in his pre-Hogwarts school time. He has friends and the teachers and neighbours don’t believe the Dursley’s story about him. The Durlesy's are not well like, contrary from canon.

The Dursley was not well off when Harry was given to them.

Harry is being always told that he reminds people of Lily due to his personality instead of his physical appearance from James (except for Snape).

Harry is his own father...

Harry is raised by an influential Pure blooded family (Dark or neutral family).

Harry is a ward of the ministry.

Dumbledore died before Harry was pronounced as the Boy-Who-Lived.

Snape didn't exist. The marauders tormented random Slytherins.

Humour fic where Harry is a stereotypical gay guy, while everyone is straight and some are even homophobic.

Gilderoy Lockhart was near Godric’s Hollow when Voldemort marked Harry. He took credit of vanquishing the dark lord and becoming the hero (he can also raise Harry or not).

In GOF, because of the incompetence of Wormtail, he accidentally killed Harry due to his bad aim. They used Cedric in the ritual instead and somehow escaped back to Hogwarts.

In COS, Harry discovers that when he destroyed the diary, its link with Ginny snapped and instantly killed her.

In SS/PS, while in the train, Harry was dismayed with both Ron and Draco's attitude and walked out on them. He got to talk to with the other students, both new and old and they got to know him before the sorting.

8. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

That has been done, and poorly. Very poorly.

That, IMO, is an absolutely fantastic idea! OMFG...that could be so funny. Try writing it, man...I'd absolutely LOVE to read it :D

I can just imagine it now..."Alright, son. The next time Granger does better than you on a test, obliviate the teacher into giving her your grade, and giving you hers."

"Alright, Harry...I think its time I taught you how to manage your fame. Wait...what? Damnit, brat, I don't understand goo-goo ga-ga! Speak English, you confounded baby, I'm trying to impart valuable knowledge here!"

:D :D :D :D :D :D

9. Ryuu Ken

Ryuu Ken Second Year

It could be used in combination with a challenge Amerision made and I was planning on doing (once I get out of this writers block).

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=1773

If the fic is well written it should be quite funny. Feel free to use the challenge as I'm probably not going to get round to it.

10. Myst

Myst Headmaster

The only good "Harry is his own father" is the Amulet of Time Series.

I would say, any type of Time Travel that does not zap him to the following: Founders Era, Grindewald/Tom Riddle Era and Marauders Era.

11. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

The DA becoming Harry's personal army.

I would really like to see that done well.

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know Harry being abandoned into an Orphanage has been done to the death, but what if he was adopted and raised by a professional stage magician, lol. Could be quite funny.

I have also never seen a fic where Harry was seriously disabled, apart from the numerous blind or deaf Harry's. Im thinking like a broken spine from when Dudley jumped on one too many times or an amputated leg from when a cut of some sort went untreated and turned gangrenous. Of course, it'd been left too long so that even magic couldn't help whatever the problem was. It could be an interesting twist.

13. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

I've only seen one or two fics in which Harry joins the muggle army fics. On the same note fics that consentrate on Harry's career as an Auror, authors usually just throw it into the background or use it as an excuse for romance.

Harry is raised by Nicloas Flammel, I've only seen this once before and it was alright.

Well done Harry and Malfoy as friends fics are few and far between, the 'They Shook Hands' series is alright.

They Shook Hands:http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/dethryl/TSH.html

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  14. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Fenrir Greyback bites and raisies Harry.

Harry is afraid of Hagrid when he shows up, and tells him to 'Get the **** away from me!!!'. Thus, HP continues his growing until 17-ish when he decides to join the Royal Marines as a way to get away from the Dursleys.

Instead of the overused Hagrid/Snape pickingup HP fics, how about some of the other teachers get a little light?

Harry goes insane. Not the standard 'The Dursleys abused me so much my mind snps and I must now kill everyone and laugh like a manic when doing it' style, but really clinically insane. Must be kept in a padded cell, always talks to 'imaginary' friends, etc. etc.

Harry is a raging pervert.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Harry is a Zombie and eats Hermiones brains! :D

16. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

That would be a very funny 6th year AU-Humour fic. In fact, it has given me a very good idea, which is rather similar to something I was planning to do in an Evangelion fic I'm developing.

On a similar vein: Harry has a near-limitless supply of the Sexual Magnetism virus, and uses it every chance he gets (ideally to sleep with the young female staff members; ie, Professors Vector and Sinistra).

17. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Wel, this is something I've been runing around with for a while.
    A fic based in the 1970's. Based around Harry's parents and their friends, but not romantic bullcrap, not centric around the consequences of James killing his conciet, but centered around the why's.
    Basically, the fact that Voldemort was able to raise followers from the upper levels of society got me thinking: wouldn't the rich try to impart their views upon the masses? I'd done on Earth, why not in HP? If they did, can there not be a fic that centered around the transition of society from being anti-muggle to a more liberal.
    For em this would be a more comprehensive answer to whyTOm went bad: not just because of the orphanage, but also becasue of the kind of people he saw around him, the kind of books he read.
    Although I've not read any such, is there any fic that shows this transition in perhaps, the Maruader or TOm RIddle era?

18. Devin Cybrus

Devin Cybrus First Year

A combined Super!SuperPervert!Harry would definitely be amusing. Everyone being all pissed at him for using his talents in magic to sneak into the girl's dorms and stealing their panties rather than working on defeating Voldemort. Him all making dirty joke after another, such as the real origin of people calling Hermione "beaver teeth" (Ouch!)

A good old fashioned zombie-story would be good. In the vein of the classic zombie flicks. Include some plot device for why magic won't work on the zombies and write long, gruesome descriptions of various cast members being dismembered and eaten by the risen dead. Damn, that sounds awesome.

Harry being raised by different parents and coming out of it a spoiled, arrogant jerk.

19. KeshinNoAkui

KeshinNoAkui Seventh Year

Actually I think a pervert Harry would best be suited for early Hogwarts, preferably after he gets the Invisbility cloak, because who wouldn't use it for various acts of perversion?

20. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

Because he would only be eleven at that point in time, and almost no eleven-year-olds are even remotely sexually active. That is why it would be better for any Pervert!Harry stories to be set during his fifth/sixth year, maybe even as early as his fourth year.