1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned A Second Chance: The Rewrite by S.L - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Master Slytherin, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Title: A Second Chance: The Rewrite
    Author: S.L
    Rating: T
    Genre: Dimension Travel (AU)
    Pairing: None at the moment - hinting at H/G later
    Chapters: 15
    Words: 86,251
    Updated: November 27, 2006
    Published: November 29, 2005

Summary: The war in his world is over: Harry Potter, tired of fighting, uses a spell that will take him to a new world, where his parents, and friends are alive, but where he died as a baby. Is this new start too good to be true?

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2681873/1/

It starts off as your typical dimension-travel story and I have to admit the beginning is unexceptional. Then shit starts to happen. It's a very good story with believable characters and a nicely worked plot.

Warnings: It does have some angst but that seems to clear up later on. Also, there's hints of H/G to come. Before you blast it, she's in Slytherin and hated by her family. She actually reminds me of some of the old Fem!Blaise or other 'misunderstood' Slytherin girls. So, it has Ginny but she's very un-Ginny-like so far.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 26, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read this, and it was very good, even if updates are a bit slow. I think the original version was posted here some time ago, and the re-write is better than the original.

3. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

Yes, I've read the original and the rewrite and it shows great improvement. I think he was one of the first few who did a good job on tackling a dimension travel fic.
    Recommended!

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, I've tried this. At first, It seemed like a clished angst-ridden bullshit. But after 10th chapter or so, once Harry stops angsting and gets his shit straight, it starts getting much better. Also, this is the first story in a long time where I didn't mind H/G one bit - after all, she's completelly different character from the in-canon stalker slut we all know and hate.
    Not a bad story overall, even if there is more angst than I would have liked.

5. zenaku

zenaku First Year

*blink* Harry's in tenth year??? My god! What a stretch there... Of course, he had to get into hogwarts, so I guess the author had to do something... but still... tenth year? When the heck do they graduate?

6. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Tenth Year. -_- A major Deus-ex Machina but I suppose it had to happen for the fic to work. TBH, I don't see why the author didn't make Harry a seventh year, Mare a sxth and Bran a Fourth. Would've made as much sense.

7. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I liked the original to this fic. And I like the rewrite too. Decent fic, and yes, a far better than average Ginny Weasley. Little to no romance relationship hinting so far (which is actually just a little too much but I can easily overlook that). The tenth year at Hogwarts stuff I thought was a more interesting change than just making them all younger (and likely more annoying). But for the most part, I find myself frustrated by this fic. The rewrite is a complete rewrite, not just little edits, so in style and choices there are improvements.

It's just too much whiny family drama. The angst tires me, and it seems like the biggest addition to the rewrite. More whiny family crap. And he's fleshed out both Bran and Mare into real actual characters with strengths and weaknesses. He just made them into two characters I care nothing about and keep hoping to see kidnapped and killed. This James and Lily also... we're getting a dose of realism in areas I'd rather fantasy, and this feels more like a family drama in parts than the interesting and intriguing ideas the first one had. Maybe it's because it's a rewrite that the ideas are not so interesting nor intriguing so beefing up the angst and family stuff irritates more than usual. Dunno.

But still a decent read, and hopefully soon we'll see something we haven't seen before.

8. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

It seems a good enough fic... but after HBP just mentioning H/G (even if shes different from cannon) gives me a really bad felling in my stomach...

9. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    very good fic, I have been following it for a while

10. CGB

CGB Auror

I read it a while ago and I liked it. It's better than the average dimension-travel I think.

11. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I like it as well, and am suprised that the fic didn't appear on the site sooner. The angsty moments in this story, I feel are called for and not over exaggerated. One of the few stories that I could get into within the last couple days.

12. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Blah. This story is the same as every other one with this type of plot. Over emotional Harry, despite being able to stomach ten years with no love and tons of death, breaks down completely when he sees His Parents/Dumbledore/Sirius, and pours his heart out. Doesn't want to tell anyone how powerful he is, tries to stay out of Voldemort conflict. (Either that or he totally turns the war effort around immediately). Frankly, there is nothing new/interesting/enjoyable in this fic for me, at all.

Ugh.

Ugh.

Ugh.

LMAO @ PopularQuidditchCaptainRon! and Harry getting Malfoy's sloppy seconds.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I like it but i must agree about the beginning parts being far too common in this plot type and the angst is a bit much but over all a decent fic.

I like this Ginny more than Canon Ginny.
    At least its not H/Hr with the AU Hr.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  14. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Usually I agree with you TheIllusiveOne when you bring up points about the angsty, ooc, or fluff in stories. But, you can't really expect Harry to be in control of himself when people who have long been dead are suddenly there again. If Harry had to restrain himself from throwing himself at Sirius every time he saw him, I would probably stop reading the story, but it only happens once, he can control himself well enough to not have it happen again.

and really, do you think Harry would have a blast fighting Voldemort once, he had to leave to think about it, anything else would not have been realistic in anyway.

I don't know what my thoughts are on Ginny yet however. On one hand, I find the conversations and her comments to be slightly amusing, on the other hand Hermione's story on why Ginny is in Slytherin made me snort a little at the ridiculous of it. Harry's reaction to it kind was kind of cheesy, but, hey, you have to accept the bad with the good.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It's a decent read. Not something I particularly got annoyed when I finished reading the the last updated chapter. Ginny however.. Hasn't showed any characteristics which would make it hard to swap her name with Blaises, Daphne's or basically any female character. Hermione seems off key also, but that may just be me. @_@

16. dark.itachi

dark.itachi First Year

Its pretty good except they haven't updated in a while and the whole 10th year thingy. I think something much more believable and original could have been implimented to make harry go into Hogwarts. Ginny is still irritating though, don't care if they change the personality around it is still Ginny, surely they could have used some other slytherin girl right?

17. The Morrigu

The Morrigu Guest

I like this fic, it is one of the few in character Time-Travel fics that I have read, and I do like the idea that Snape on some level is good. I just want to know the reasoning behind it. ....

18. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Well the H/G will slap you in the face like a trout this chapter.

And somehow the angstiness got angstier.

My desire to read this is waning rapidly. And this wasn't even a bad chapter. I just kinda was hoping it would... go somewhere interesting (to me). Instead it's just a 20-year-old crybaby crying like a baby. *sigh* Here's hoping someone digs this fic, because it still seems decent. Just not for me. Probably not for most DLPers either.

19. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

I'm agreeing nonjon on the anstiness. Who'd think a 20 year old needed a dad so much. The romance is also pretty childish, still the same old hogsmeade you'd think they'd let em out more.

I'm likin the original a lot more then the rewrite right now.

20. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

YAY GINSLUT! CRAPPY PAIRINGNESS AHOY!

Hadn't read this one anyway...now I mos def won't. Meh, no loss.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006