1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Link Acquainted with the Night by Little Elflet - K+

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Lutris, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Title: Acquainted with the Night
    Author: Little Elflet
    Summary: Alternate PoA. What if Sirius had gone to Harry instead of hiding? What if Harry was determined to study and learn this year? What if Harry didn't take Divination?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1958542/1/

About 54000 words long, and extremely well written. Hard to find any grammitical, canonic, or any other kind of mistake in here. However, seeing as canon only covers PS and CoS, that's not that hard to accomplish.

As a forewarning, this Harry is one that has just come out of defeating the Basilisk, and so is a very canonic representation of the character at the beginning. His thought patterns resemble Rowlings' Harry's greatly- in that aspect, it may be a turn off for some of the more finicky readers at DLP.

But, the 'feel' of this story somewhat resembles 'Unknown Memories' by Fission25, (I think it was Fission25...) in the fact that Harry seems to be developing his own intelligence, and the writing style is very similar to said story.

Features a plethora of un-canonic, but still very likely and feasible Hogwarts electives, and original story.

Ialthough, the story seems to be either on hiatus, or abandoned, as a worst case senario, as the last update was november 25th., I believe that this fic deserves to be put in the Library.

Edit by Minion, Dec. 6, 2012
    Dead link is dead. If you know where to find another copy of this story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I remember reading this awhile back. It's fairly good and it looked like the author might have been phasing out Ron, which is always a plus. I was never too hot on the canon idea of giving Hermione a time-turner because, she is a 13 year old. Not that the canon magical world has ever shown to be intelligent, but I have mixed feelings about a government freely giving a good number of just barely teenagers access to such a powerful devise and having the majority of them keeping it secret. It was a little hard for me to swallow canon doing it with one person, let alone this story doing it with several, but eh.

I figured it was abandoned though. The author has a selection of other fics he/she still updates and hasn't touched this one in ages. If it was a WIP it would be a low 4 for me, but the fact that we are barely into the school year and looks to be done ranks a 3 imo.

3. Kari Black

Kari Black DA Member

Well, I just read through this and it was pretty good. I'd say it deserves to be added to the library. The biggest downside for me is the apparant lack of updates. It had some original ideas as well. I've never seen the thing with the chimaera before. The whole thing about Hogwarts being sentient and only able to talk to Harry is a bit cliche, but not so much as to ruin the story for me. All in all it was a good read.

4. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

The story started off decent enough, but all the weird stupid subplots ruined it for me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  5. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

I'll give it another whirl, but I really didn't like the end of the second chapter. Harry dressing like a faggot artist, Sirius calling him Harbear, and all that shit? Not for me. But I'll try to persevere...

6. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

This sounds like a good enough idea but befor I read, dose anybody know if this turns into slash?? The author lists HPSB as their favourite paring and worte a HPSB fic before.

7. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

There is a high probability that the author will make the story SLASH. Check out the author's profile and you will see that the author favours SLASH parings and almost all the fics that he/she wrote consist of SLASH.
    Bad, not recommended!

8. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I figured the author was going for the Harry/OC angle, but I could see slash happening if a closer guy was introduced.

9. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Decent story. Guy probably just got bitten by a plotbunny.

Edit: This story is getting a bit ridiculous now that I've read all that's posted. An Inferi? Honestly!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  10. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

Actually the 'taking care scenes' were real creepy at some points. I bet it will be slash. I read the story a while back and the only thing I can remember are these weird passages with Harry and Sirius.
    But maybe I just overreacted and for the author this is normal parenting behaviour with all the touching and stroking. yuk!