1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

lady in the water

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by k_writer, Jul 24, 2006.

1. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

SPOILER ALERT--?
    has m. night gone mad?
    no...i guess not. but i do think he's gone too far this time. okay--i am a fan of things that are magical, things that are sort of fairy tales or whatever. i mean, i'm a huge harry potter geek, for crying out loud. but i think when you make up your own fairy tale/story/myth/whathaveyou, you have to do it RIGHT. i'm not a writer of such things, so shit man i don't know how j.k. did it, i don't know how tolkien did it, but m. knight screwed it up.
    i think he should have listened to disney.
    this film had some really great elements in it. the characters who lived in the hotel, for the most part, were pretty good characters. funny. i liked (even though his character's presence is so OBVIOUSLY a screw you to knight's critics) the film critic. he had some pretty funny moments (my favorite one was when was talking about a romantic film he'd just seen, and everything he said was so true, it was hillarious). i LOVED paul giamatti's portrayal of heap, the stutter was awesome. bryce dallas howard is a nice-looking girl and may be a good actress, but to tell you the truth i was rather bored with her the whole time.
    the fairy tale is the problem. the way it was, in the film, seemed like a first draft of a story you'd take to your publisher so he can tell you to re-write it. the concept of a sea nymph (a narf, as he names her) emerging from a hotel swimming pool to "inspire" her "vessel" (knight as a novelist with writer's block and just so happens to be writing the book of the century) before the evil beasts lurking about in the grass ("scrunts", which actually were pretty scary) get their claws on her might be cool if there were maybe more to it than that...but there isn't.
    and there was supposed to be a "twist" but i must have missed it? there is confusion--but not the kind knight might want. i was mostly confused as to why all of these people, who eventually become involved in helping the narf elude the scrunts, simply accept everything that's happening to them without even blinking. is bryce dallas really that charming? eh...i dunno. i rather thought paul giamatti was kind of wasted on this movie. he's a talented guy, and i was more interested in his character and his back story than the fairy tale i was supposed to care so much about at movie's end.
    i dunno....i'm probably rambling right now--my point is that i want knight to get back to real suspense, real creepy, chilling, mouth-dropping (in a good 'holy shit that scared the crap outta me' way) stuff and leave the fairy tales to peter jackson.

HEY SO THIS WAS MY FIRST THREAD I STARTED. UM..YAY. I SUSPECT YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO ROAST ME ALIVE.

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Please, dear god, fix that post:

1) Run it through Spellchecker, it is installed, just click the button and go through it.

2) Seperate that into a few paragraphs.

3) Dump the caps at the end, all it does is make me want to flame the shit out of you.

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I've seen the sort of spelling/grammar/punctuation you use in your story danfankendra, if at all possible please use that on the forums. We here at DLP, being FanFiction fans and many of us writers really value well written posts.

4. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Yes. Capitalize the first letter of each sentence, please. It really does help people think that you have the I.Q. of a normal person, instead of a dyslexic squirrel.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Wow... Yeah, what they said.

As for the substance of your post, that movie was definately rant-worthy. Look, I've seen some pretty fucked up movies -- but this one doesn't even look like it would be good if I were drunk. It's like a Severitus fic in that respect.

6. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

I'm sorry. Forgive me, I didn't realize that my chosing not to use caps would be more important to you than...say...what I was talking about. I see that I was right to suspect that rather than participating in the discussion I was attempting to start, you'd insult me (that dyslexic squirrel comment was totally uncalled for, and if you ask me chosing to use caps or not has nothing to do with how smart I am...) when all I wanted was to...I don't know...talk to you guys.
    I'm a pretty nice person. I'm not an idiot, either. I actually have things to say. I'm at work, I had a few spare moments free, so I decided to start a thread. That was a mistake, I guess.
    So...you see that I am capable of punctuating my sentences...does that make my thread worthy of your attention? Or do I need to sign my name in blood on my writing degree for you?

7. Lord Ravenclaw

It isn't so much that it's more important...it just ruins the subject matter when you have to wade through it. You could say we're the Voldemort of proper English. =)

I was more gentle than I'd normally be considering I read your works and know that you do use proper English. Just smack Fuegodefuerza at your own leisure. =)

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm...I skipped your original post but I get the idea that you didn't like the film. I havn't seen it myself, but I saw the trailer for it when I went to see Superman (which I thought was really good by the way - there's just something about hearing that theme tune again) and it looked pretty freaky, if a bit of a weird story.

9. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

SPOILER ALERT?
    Has M. Night gone mad?

No...I guess not. But I do think he's gone too far this time. Okay--I am a fan of things that are magical, things that are sort of fairy tales or whatever. I mean, I’m a huge Harry Potter geek, for crying out loud. But I think when you make up your own fairy tale/story/myth/ you have to do it RIGHT. I’m not a writer of such things, so shit man I don't know how J.K. did it, I don't know how Tolkien did it, but M. Night screwed it up.
    I think he should have listened to Disney.

This film had some really great elements in it. The characters who lived in the hotel, for the most part, were pretty good characters. Funny, I liked (even though his character's presence is so OBVIOUSLY a screw you to Night's critics) the film critic. he had some pretty funny moments (my favorite one was when was talking about a romantic film he'd just seen, and everything he said was so true, it was hilarious). I LOVED Paul Giamatti's portrayal of heap, the stutter was awesome. Bryce Dallas Howard is a nice-looking girl and may be a good actress, but to tell you the truth I was rather bored with her the whole time.

The fairy tale is the problem. The way it was in the film, seemed like a first draft of a story you'd take to your publisher so he can tell you to re-write it. the concept of a sea nymph (a Narf, as he names her) emerging from a hotel swimming pool to "inspire" her "vessel" (Night as a novelist with writer's block and just so happens to be writing the book of the century) before the evil beasts lurking about in the grass ("Scrunts", which actually were pretty scary) get their claws on her might be cool if there were maybe more to it than that...but there isn't.

And there was supposed to be a "twist" but I must have missed it? There is confusion--but not the kind Night might want. I was mostly confused as to why all of these people, who eventually become involved in helping the Narf elude the Scrunts, simply accept everything that's happening to them without even blinking. Is Bryce Dallas really that charming? Eh...I don’t know. I rather thought Paul Giamatti was kind of wasted on this movie. He’s a talented guy, and I was more interested in his character and his back story than the fairy tale I was supposed to care so much about at movie's end.

I don’t know....I’m probably rambling right now--my point is that I want Night to get back to real suspense, real creepy, chilling, mouth-dropping (in a good 'holy shit that scared the crap out of me' way) stuff and leave the fairy tales to Peter Jackson.

This is a little more like it should look. For some reason I can't get indentaions to work. Help?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Perhaps edit it to add lines between the paragraphs as well?

Also, I read somewhere that M. Night might be directing HBP. Definatly a good choice I think, he'll bring the darkness to the film that the HP films need.

EDIT: Lol, I remember where I read that now, http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=2612

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  11. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

12. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

Jesus. You know...that's okay. I can take rejection for really stupid things. My sig? You won't read my thread because of my sig? And you think because I didn't space in between my paragraphs on my first goddamned thread that makes me a less worthy participant in this forum?

And you remove points from me, and say some pretty mean things when you do it (it's anon, so I guess that makes it okay), without even trying to get to know me or hear what I have to say??

I had hoped I could really enjoy this forum. I mean, I really liked half of you until this crap. I write. I'm a writer. I know how to use caps. If I were writing things like "OMG! like I ToTALly loVe HaRRY poTTer n stufff!!!" then I could see you attacking me the way you did, hell I wouldn't blame you for that....
    Sheesh.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  13. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Wow...didn't think that you'd take it so harshly. Sorry about that. Geez. And the dyslexic squirrel comment was rather low, but you really shouldn't take most of this stuff that seriously. Check out this thread for some real roasting: http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=2512&highlight=kill

Anyways, I haven't seen the movie, or seen the trailer, and after your post I don't really plan to.

And the reason that I, personally, got on you about your spelling is the fact that you are a writer, and your story is so well-written. It's a matter of respect, really, to me. If someone can't take the time to use proper writing fundementals, than it comes off as they don't respect the others enough to spend the few seconds it takes to write properly. Oh, and you think that you got roasted badly? You should see some of the real roasts that we've undertaken. Some of them get pretty nasty...like above.

14. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

Wow. That was bad...

I realized that I probably overreacted. I wrote a thread in the Introduction section saying as much. I'm a lazy typist *shrugs* I admit it. I've never been a particularly good typist, and I was at work so my time was limited.

It's funny....all through school I've had problems with grammar, but writing has always been what I've wanted to do. I'm a little (okay, a lot) sensitive about it. I had problems in college, too, but I think the quality of my writing won out and I just got a proofreader.

I guess I assumed it wouldn't be a big deal and received a nasty shock when it was? Any way...next time I'll wait until I have enough time to spell check and all that before I start a thread. Problem solved.

15. Midknight

Here's a lesson for you to learn.

If I tell you to stfu, and that your sig sucks and makes your post unreadable from a monitor glowing so bright it blinds you... then.. It sucks. And you stfu so tight you pass out from forgetting to breathe.

Throwing a tantrum is just going to get your ass tossed out the door. So stop being an emo lil crybaby, get a sig that doesn't annoy the shit out of half the upper folks here, and ... well we'll let you know when you can speak again.

I've had it with folks that can't take a light ribbing. If you (in general, not directed) can't take a few light pokes of being made fun of, I don't think your quite cut out to be reading dark Harry fics where there's all sorts of evil things going on.

This is a community of friends, not a openended cluster fuck of idiots like DarkMark or FictionAlley.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  16. andiais

andiais DA Member

And another one bites the dust!

(I know it was a short and probably pointless post, and I apologie profusely, really I do, but the revolving door gets busier every week. It's great fun watching it spin!)

17. Lord Ravenclaw

You do notice she apologized for overreacting? It's only a temp ban however.

18. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

I know I'm going to get shit for this...but what is the IRC room? If it's the chatroom--I was in there for two seconds and all I said was hello.

19. Midknight

That's not what I was told, but I'll ask for the logs.

20. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

The issue is not a lack of "darkness" but a lack of intelligence and common sense. Intelligently dealing with people who are "retarded", "teh stupid" and who are overall a nuisance to DarkLordPotter.Net is what is necessary. There is no method by which to judge this though, currently, as we have people randomly bashing others that they feel do not belong here.

While this would be alright, you also have the administration getting involved - I think you can't have BOTH. Why? Because you get what is, quite simply, a bitch society. You have people who wait for the administrator to give the go and then hop on in and start bashing - bandwagoning the thing until the person who might have intelligence is forced from the community since they get no relief. Administrators are too powerful in that setting; if Administrators don't get involved except when a ban is needed and instead let the community actively pursue, then it could work.

Likewise, letting the Administrator determine whether or not the person can contribute through their beginning posts rather than letting every introduction thread that doesn't meet the requirements of La Famiglia turn into a shitstorm, could also work. The administrators would need to tell the members to cool the "I'm the Bash-King and I'm out to fucking rape you" mode off unless it's absolutely necessary.

I mean - just a few weeks ago we had someone bashing a person for no reason other than liking slash - sorry, we have a guy who likes having Lily raped, a few who like skull-fucking and multiple others who like crossovers or aliens. It's called taste and I guarentee you, that while Sera likes Cho as a main character, raspberries and the orient in his fiction, I like my England with pompous Lords, broadswords if necessary and crotchy old English people. It's the posts they contribute that should be the determining factor. I mean, lets face it, there are people who like "the Darkness" who are complete fucksticks and get a freepass.

Give the fucking people a break. The only thing it does is make DarkLordPotter.Net look retarded. Filter them out subtly or ban them when, after ten or twenty posts, you think they suck - just don't make it a bandwagon issue or one where the Administration has to look like a bunch of retarded chimps who have no respect for anyone and won't take the shit in turn if the person they pressure finally gets angry and snaps.