1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned A Twist of Chance by MockV - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Trig, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Title: A Twist of Chance
    Author: MockV
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor
    Fandom: Naruto
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: AU: Honestly, what were the odds of Uzumaki Naruto running into his only surviving relatives in the middle of the marketplace? Slim to none, right? Too bad the odds never mattered to the luckiest and most unfortunate genin in Konoha. [Not 367 Compliant]

Link: Fanfiction.Net

Yes, the premise sounds stupid. It's done better than it sounds, but not by much. Luckily this whole 'relatives' angle doesn't even play that big of a role, so I'd suggest to not value it that highly.

What's important is that in my opinion this is the best slice of life story in the entire fandom. It's lighthearted and humorous, and it utterly nails the overall tone of the early manga. This story makes Konoha as a village come to life. It makes me believe that this is what a village full of weird ninja with even weirder powers and eccentricities would be like. Yes, it has a few too many OCs but overall they don't really matter to the plot, instead they serve as a way to add depth to the whole world.

Of course this fic isn't perfect: Lots of tell and not show, a handful of OCs, a plot that doesn't really go anywhere and the fact that it's abandoned are certainly negative points, but I feel as if the boring sounding summary detracts people from giving this story a shot.

4/5

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's...ehhh. It's not poorly written. It doesn't have any horrible instant close cliches. It doesn't suffer from terrible grammar. But...

There's no flow. The majority of the story is chunks of introspection/internal monologuing. About half the verbal interaction within is between Naruto and his clones. There are a few too many anime styled conventions, such as face faulting and sweat dropping, written seriously into the text.

I didn't make it to the end of the story. I skimmed a lot after the first two chapters. Reading the blocks of text gave me a slight headache.

Despite all this, it isn't a bad story. I'd rate it 2.5 rounded up to 3. Belongs in the Almost Recced thread.

3. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

I forgot these still existed

4. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Later on it mentions the Namikaze family and declares the name Minato to be girly. Naruto also gets fans for being able to file things.

This fic is strictly terrible. 1/5

5. DC

DC Groundskeeper

You took away the big complaint I was going to make! Either way, I agree. But are we even allowed to put up dead stories for review?