1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Rectifier by Niger Aquila - K

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Rectifier
    Author: Niger Aquila
    Rating: K
    Pairings: None that I can see, and I don't think there will be.
    Recommended section: General or Alternates
    Chapters: 25
    Words: 74,794
    Updated: September 15, 2012
    Published: September 27, 2005

Summary: A simple trip to an alternate dimension turns out to be much more and a man finds himself playing a very dangerous game with his other self that might cost him more than his life. AU sixth year
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2595818/1/

A good AU story, I won't say much as I don't want to spoil the twist, but it's well writen and has been updated recently. One of my favourite authors.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 26, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, I just read this and it was great. Very original take on the travelling to AR plot. Read the first two chapters and see for yourself.

3. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Very enjoyable in my opinion, very interesting with the reversed universe travel, and seemingly a good overall plot. Good spelling and grammer, and well introduce, letting the reader expect one particular thing (i won't say what to avoid spoilers, but reading it will let you know) and then twisting it into something else.The chapters are fairly short but not too bad but that's really the only bad thing.

Recommended, 4-5/5

4. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Very interesting, very original and very good. This is a story like none other that I've seen before. You'll just have to read for yourself to find out why, because that is the main thing that makes it so good.

5. Vincent V

Vincent V Slug Club Member

That was... Interesting. Amazing start, I've never seen a story like this before.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Very original, and incredibly interesting. I've only seen something similar to this once...and that story was horrible. I recommend this story.

7. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Errr... I didn't think it was that original, nor interesting. MaxFic had a story about Harry going into an AU with a good Tom Riddle. I thought the fourth chapter was pretty boring and to contemplative for my tastes, especially considering I have no interest reading about what Malfoy is thinking. It's decent, of course, but I don't think much of it, really. To each his own, I suppose.

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

...are you serious? just the fact that someone his coming from an AU and not going to an AU is original enough, the fact that it is a good Tom Riddle, kind of makes this solidily original.

Just because some of the facts coincide with other stories, doesn't make it not original.

I won't be reading it though, I like it, I do, but I get bored easily by anything non Harry-Centric and when chapter four came, which, like Illusive said, is not an interesting chapter, I was bored to death.

9. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

A great start and a good concept, the only thing that I didn't like was the cliche start but I'll definetly keep an eye on this fic.
    4/5

10. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Very nice fic. Well written too. I'll wait to see where this goes but for now

3.75/5

11. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

The fact that it's basically the same premise, maybe? This looks like it will be a good Tom Riddle coming to the HP verse helping Harry defeat Voldemort. MaxFics fic had Harry going to an AU where a good Tom Riddle helps Harry to defeat Voldemort. The only difference is it's opposite and Tom centric, which is a bad thing, IMO. It's not original, it's just flipped a little bit. Just like his other fic, where Harry goes back in time and befriends Tom, except he has no memory of the future, same plot just one little difference.

12. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Its a really good idea, but i dont think its been pulled off well enough to be honest.

I would like to see someone maybe take this idea and make it a Harry centric fic, which would be much to better.

plus so far, to much talking and not enough action

3/5

13. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Alright, I guess I see you point now, sorry for the slightly rude post.

But, I am still going to have to disagree with you. Yes, its flipped around, yes it has the same characters, and same idea in it, but it is still original. I have never seen an AU character come to the HP verse before, but I guess it may have happened. As I am just going with the stories that I have read.

I did read the story you are talking about with the good Tom Riddle...I believe.

How about this...its, lets say, old ideas with original twists? That works for me...how about you?

14. Vincent V

Vincent V Slug Club Member

I'm going to go with jagedlyjaded on this one. This story is the first that I have read that has a good T.R. coming to the Canon Verse. Yea I have read fics with good TR or Time-travel TR, but nothing like this.

15. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

It's interesting so far, but I think it has a long way to go before it can be called a really good story. Tom Riddle is a hard character to make good in any fashion if you stick with JKR's HBP sociopath child Riddle.

Given enough time, if you give me a somewhat feasible story premise (that is: Not "Harry went to the moon and drank a butterbeer" story, but something that really could make a longer fanfiction) I could probably find someone somewhere that wrote about it, even if the story was abandoned. So, sure, there is another "good" Tom Riddle story out there where Harry learned from him. Of course, in that story, Harry went through the veil, Dumbledore was evil, Riddle was the Headmaster and intelligence was the new pureblood. So, weak overarc of the plot line aside, this story looks to be different in that Riddle came across dimensions, only he seemed to change - not the "Everything is backwards" premise - but frankly, all we have right now is the introduction. (number of chapters not with standing) Very few of the characters have been introduced or developed. The direction of the story hasn't been developed yet.

This could easily turn into a just slightly twisted version of MaxFic's story. Or this could turn into as different a story as Bungle in the Jungle is from any other "Independent, Manipulative, Money stealing, love potion using Weasleys and Dumbledore bashing" story out there. The plot is rarely used enough that, along with the much better than average writing style/use of grammar and spelling I think it is worth a shot.

It hasn't gone anywhere yet, so it isn't the sort of thing that I can say "this is excellent" or that it is a must read and recommended. Its good so far and has a lot of potential, but there really isn't much there yet. I think it is something that should be watched. For what's there so far, I give it a 3-4/5.

16. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

This fic is unique and entirely refreshing. The author has done a fantastic job in writing the light side version of Tom Riddle. He is not some saint he is still a sociopath working for the light side out of fear of becoming a helpless, tortured monster. He is a twisted character. Dumbledore isn't a saint either throughout the fic he is manipulating Harry. Tom and Dumbledore's interactions and relationship are the highlight of the fic. Though it has Manipulated Harry he comes of as an arrogant idiotic kid.

4/5

17. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Thanks for the necromancy. Truly. I'm enjoying this quit a bit. It has aged reasonably well.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013