1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Of Power and Prestige by Ell Roche and ExcentrykeMuse - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Sesc, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Title: Of Power and Prestige
    Author: Ell Roche and ExcentrykeMuse
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance
    Length: 75k
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Fem!Harry/Tom Riddle
    Summary: Nothing could tempt Marvolo, Lord Slytherin, to leave the Lone Islands—except, perhaps, for Lady Haesel Potter, the most powerful witch of her generation. TMR/Fem!Harry
    Link: See Attachment.
    Prequel: Here or see Attachment (Chancing Chaos, #2).

Read this over the last days and loved it. There's probably only a handful of people this will appeal to, but since it's gone from FF.net, I though I might as well archive it here -- and I think it belongs into the Library, of course. YMMV, however. Wildly.

If you know Ell Roche's oneshots, you know what to expect. If you don't, here's the quick self-test: Not flinching when faced with Pride and Prejudice or Emma helps, a fascination with Downton Abbey probably also would be a good sign, and if you always wanted to see that crossed with HP, you should be sold.

Or from the HP side: If you like fleshing out pureblood society and reading about customs and lore, this should do it. It's HP, Regency-style: The topic is noble, powerful, beautiful, rich purebloods being ... well, noble, powerful, beautiful and rich. Otherwise, it's about propriety and decorum, dramatic love declarations, balls, gowns and hair. I adore it. The best reason to read it though, IMO, is the way Ell Roche has integrated magic into all that. It's a fundamental part of the world, and she added lots of nice little ideas everywhere that make up a well-rounded whole.

Since it's also the sequel to the oneshot "Of Ancestry and Honor", you might want to read that first; that's also an easy way to get acquainted with Ell Roche's stuff.

Plot: Beyond the obvious AU nature, Tom Riddle never became Voldemort. James also didn't marry bond with Lily but a pureblood witch, and instead of Harry, they had Haesel. Haesel is coming of age and looking for a suitable wizard to marry bond with. It's not too complex or intricate, but it's got a clear direction, a decent technical execution, and adequate spelling and grammar.

As a side note, it also successfully uses a marriage betrothal contract by adhering to the rules I suggested some time ago: It's a one-line mentioning for a side-character, it's a consequence, not a cause, and it's set in an AU. If anyone wants to read it just for that ... ;)

4/5

Attached Files:

2. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Didn't really do it for me. 3/5

3. Hiraelle

Hiraelle Third Year

I'm rather conflicted about it.

There are some things I really like.

The world really feels magical. That's always a plus. In some fics, you can almost forget they are witches and wizards, that's not the case here. It's not just spells, it's I would say "ambiant magic".
    A lot of effort is put into worldbuilding.
    It's well written, I think, even if I may not be the best judge for it since I'm far from speaking English perfectly.

But there are some things that annoy me also.
    I get it's part of the worldbuilding, but why witches feel so weak compared to wizards ? They're like dolls to be protected. Even Haesel, who is said to be "the most powerful witch of her generation", feels like a fragile thing. Well, maybe it is just me but that's how I interpreted it.
    I don't like the way Lily is treated as a character. But that's a minor thing anyway.

That said, I enjoyed reading it, so I'd give it 3.5/5, rounded down to 3 because the defaults I find annoy me too much to give it 4.

4. Sesc

It's par for the course. What you are describing is the picture of women in the 19th century, at least in the upper class; so in so far as that was mapped onto pureblood society, it's staying true to the source. The magic is an interesting twist on that, as Haesel probably could hold her own in an altercation; she simply blasted Diggory into a shop window when he tried to touch her, she is powerful in that sense, yes. She also has a mind of her own (which we see when she breaks conventions, and whenever she chooses for herself, instead of accepting decisions dictated by others).

But overriding that are the societal norms; in the end, she is a witch, and as such she is expected (and expects herself) to find a wizard who is powerful enough to protect her and support her and keep her from harm, so she does not need to defend herself -- and to love and cherish her, so she should want for nothing, in this romanticised version of that picture.

In other words, whether that is a good thing or not, it's definitely a feature of the story, not a bug.

5. Hiraelle

Hiraelle Third Year

Yes, that's what I was trying to say by "I get it's part of the worldbuilding". I understand that.
    It's just that, personnally, I don't really like it.

But I do flinch when faced with Pride and Prejudice or Emma. I guess that's why.
    In the end, it's just my personal opinion, and not a screw-up of the author, you're right.

6. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

I think the writing is pretty good, and I liked the approach to it, at least for about the first 60 pages. Then i got bored and decided to stop. There was nothing specifically bad about the story itself, but I just found the entire thing very tedious after the novelty of the approach wore off.

I'll give it a 3.5/5 for the part that I read.

7. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

You're not going to get classically sexist social structures in societies with Harry Potter magic. The men do not have access to more coercive power. Physical strength isn't particularly useful in a fight. Girls have every bit as much innate power as the boys.

It's not just that the weird misogyny is unpleasant to read (though it is, and the author really is rather fetishistic about it). It is that that sort of stuff feels wrong in the setting.

I can't really believe that any of these people would act like that when they have magic. Jane Austen's stuff is good because it is an accurate depiction of human experience in a certain set of circumstances. This story is vexing because it isn't accurate. It doesn't feel true.

8. Sesc

Well, what can I say? Only that I disagree: It didn't feel wrong to me. I had no trouble accepting the world as an AU, and consider it a rather nice one at that.

And neither do I think magic needs to be the great equalizer. The same argument could be made for class differences, and they exist even in Canon. It's just one more factor to consider, and you can conceive of any number of special circumstances where magic could either lead to no change from the classical societal structures or even strengthen them. It's not as if there is a 'right' way for this to play out.

9. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

Although the writing technique Elle Roche employs is quite refreshing, the plot doesn't do anything for me.

The story focuses more on the minutiae rather than some overarching thematic element, leading to a sort of pointless feeling (at least, for this reader).

Overall 3/5.

10. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sesc

Setup is a bit confusing, so I could be wrong but this:

Links to the 12th chapter. Link to the first chapter is here.

Also, are there two prequels? What order would you read them in? Do you recommend reading them at all? Thanks.

11. Sesc

Qgqqqqq: Chancing Chaos is a collection of unconnected oneshots. The prequel is "Of Ancestry and Honor", which is #12 in the link, and #2 in the attachment; the content is the same. You don't have to read all OS (the rest has nothing to do with the story) and not even the prequel, but it works as a decent starting point.

This story aside, I prefer the Harry-centric OS in Chancing Chaos, e.g. "The Tears He Had Never Seen Her Cry" (Harry/Fem!Malfoy), "I'd Like to Prove Myself Worthy" (Harry/Romilda) or the "The Kiss of a Maiden" (Harry/Astoria). They are OS in the best sense -- self-contained stories covering one specific, important moment, in this case (obviously) in the relationship between the two.