1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Well-Written Fanfics Needed!

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Spooky, Aug 5, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Spooky

Spooky First Year

Hi, I am a webmaster, and I archive only well-written fiction, mostly by adults, and I am looking for new content for my site. I mean, these stories should really stand out, but shouldn;t be super-hyped, like Barb's or Cassandra Claire's fics. The writing should be high quality, not laden with adverbs, bad formatting, missing/wrong punctuation, and speech tags. The story itself should be good, but the plot is secondary to quality. I don;t read FF, I only glance at this and that, and rarely find what I'm looking for. If you've read extensively, and you've seen some superior stuff that maybe hasn;t gotten the recognition it deserves, please let me know!!

I don't accept songfics, author self-insertion, crossovers, or second generation fiction. I am desperately in need of slash (very tasteful slash) and humor, but am looking for all categories. I haven't got a lot of time to peruse these stories, so please don;t give me a long list of your favs. I would greatly appreciate if you would just point out the best of what you have read. I appreciate your help, so thank you in advance for your recs!

2. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

You're not gonna find (m)any slash from this crowd. We're mainly a bunch of testosterone-fueled teenage boys (with exceptions, of course) and as such, we tend to stay away from homosexuality. I would recommend ip82's Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties. It's a very well written, well thought out, original, Independant!Harry story, and is a favorite of many members here. Also, jbern's Bungle in the Jungle is a very good story, detailing an original take on an Independent!Harry story from a second person point of view.

3. Spooky

Spooky First Year

Thanks, I will definately check them out. As for the slash, I'm with you. I've got no testosterone, but I have no slash because I can;t stand to look at it. I have nothing against gay people, but it skeeves me to read it anyway. *shudders*

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

You really want to turn into a DLP-ism, do you?

5. Spooky

Spooky First Year

I feel so out of the loop. I don;t know what you're talking about lol. This is at least the third time I've had to ask for an explanation in the past few hours. Humor me one more time?

Oh, and isn;t that your fic Fuego recommended?

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah.

What I'm referring is that asking for recomendations is generally frowned upon around here, considering that this whole forum is basically centred around recommending various fics its members deem good.

7. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

DLPism (Read Me)

Users known for acting a certain (bad) way have commonly become DLPisms

8. Spooky

Spooky First Year

Hmmm... more unspoken rules. Sorry, I only came here to correct my link, and saw how populated the place was. Thought I could get a few good opinions is all. (and join what seemed to be a good HP community) The forums at hpff.com are full of goofy little kids who rec thier best friend's terrible stories. This place seemed a little more refined in taste. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be here. I;ve been admonished several times in only a few hours. Every post someone seems to say "Don;t do that." Getting a little turned off by all the rules. *frowns*

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Hmm, nothing personal. There's just a great influx of new people and management is simply trying to weed out those who don't really want to be here. Call it hazing.

Still, posts like this are still unwelcome. That's what categories in the library are for.

10. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

If your looking for a hilarious humor fic. I recomend " So Sue Me " By " lunakatrina "
    Also a good sci-fi au fic is " A matter of Perception " By Kung Lou "
    Nonjon's Firefly crossover is good too. Its called " Brown Coat, Green Eyes "
    " The Power " By " DarthBill " is exceptionally entertaining also.
    An Azkaban fic by the name of " Rise of A Dark King " By " Naga's Shadow "
    " Luna's Hubby " By " Meteoricshipyards " is a great story.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  11. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Jberns "To Fight The Coming Darkness" is also very well written..

12. Spooky

Spooky First Year

That seems a little anti-social in such a social environment. Why would anyone go through the bother of registering if they didn;t want to be here? I mean, if they aren't posting spam or nonsense, what's the harm? In my forum, the only things that are frowned upon are flames, insulting other members, post-whoring when a person has nothing to say (if they have something to say, that's fine) and vulgarity. If some new member finds an old dead thread and has something to add, go to it! They shouldnt be excluded from the conversation for arriving late. (I really didn;t understand that necro-nonsense.) Anyone can post whatever the hell they want in my forum and most others. If no one's interested, they just wont reply. No harm done. I try not to be a tyrant admin and everyone's happy.

I appreciated the enormous welcome I received and everyone has been really nice. I wanted to be here when I registered, in fact, I was thrilled to have found this place, but I no longer know if I want to stick around due to the seemingly limitless restrictions, (not the people.) It's becoming a bit of a downer. I'll still check out your fics, but I doubt I'll be posting much. Every time I do it's wrong! : ( It just seems people are intolerant of too many things.

Sorry, but the library looked like a place where people posted fiction. I looked through threads for what I wanted, and the closest I found was "most original" which is not what I'm looking for, so I started a new one. The only "Don;t" I saw was don;t ask for stories about a certain thing in certain places. ("Looking for fics") I didn;t see anything at all telling people not ask the forum for thier opinions and recs. Maybe I missed something that was posted long ago? Idk.

Sorry again to be a downer lol. It's not your fault, you were just answering my question. Thanks for that.

EDIT: some recs were posted while I was writing this, thanks guys! I'll check them out. *Smiles warmly*

13. liath

liath Seventh Year

Hmm. And what is the link to this website of yours? It may be a good idea to post it. :p

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Good for you, want a cookie?

The entire point of this forum is that we post a very slim genre of fics. This is typically dark/indy, well-written stories[Unless its in the humor section].

If you don't like intolerance, you don't really belong here, take the preaching elsewhere.

Check out this. While it says nothing about recs, it does say you get two-strikes.

Read rules 1, 4, and 6 specifically.

Awww, *smile* *ching.wav*.

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

To be honest, I see nothing wrong with this thread... and I'm a mod. Hmm... she's just asking for a little help and stories for her site. The library pretty much has all the stories we could recommend but it is a bit tiring to look through there, since it is pretty large and since some stories that shouldnt be there are.

Anyway, that 'necro-nonsense' is because people bump old threads with one line responses that are utterly stupid. If it's something decent, it normally takes more than one silly sentence and thats okay. Totally acceptable. You say on your site that if they dont have anything really to add, they dont. The thing is, some people do do it here for whatever reason.

And there have been some that do come here and not really want to be here. You'd be surprised at how many of them do come and go.

Okay, now on to some stories.

Well, anything written by Nonjon is worthy, apart from his crossover, I guess, since you said you didnt want crossovers. Umm... Sheeza has a few good stories too, though only two of the Harry Potter ones can be found at FF.Net. The rest are at his Yahoo Group, I think. If someone has the link, post it here, because I dont. What else... Vash the Unholy has written some very good ones, though they are very dark, and if you have problems with rape/extreme torture/ect in stories then I'd leave them alone. I guess you could have a read at mine and decide if you like them. Other people on this site seem to like them, but I don't know, you might not.

Well, I guess that's enough.

16. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I don't take kindly to spam for another site on our board. Especially not one asking for fudgepacking fics. Strike 1.

[​IMG]

Strike 2 is, you're evidentally too lazy to look through the Library to rip off your content from, which has gotten others harshly bashed. Not to mention you make no mention that I saw, of actually asking permission to archive other's work.

meh.

17. Spooky

Spooky First Year

To Xmpho: Um.. I wasn't preaching, just explaining myself. Sorry you were so offended by it. I DID say everyone here had been very nice to me, but you left that part out of your quotes, along with the compliment where I said the people here seemed to have more refined taste. Guess I spoke to soon. There's no need to be rude. I think you missed the fact that I was being nice because you were too busy trying to attack me.

I will read the page you linked to. There seem to be rules pages everywhere...

EDIT: Dark Syaoran: Thank you! Yes, I agree that if someone posts one line that doesn;t really have any meaning, then it's a bad thing. I guess, because my site is for adults, I don;t get much of that. I feel a little better now. The way it was explained, it seemed that if the thread was a few weeks old, it shouldn;t be posted to. Glad you could clarify. And yes, I did look through the library and found it would take me forever. Thanks for seeing my dilemma.

ANOTHER EDIT: Midknight: I would NEVER archive an author's story without thier permission. I was simply asking for recs that I could look at with the intent of speaking to the author if I liked what I saw. If my link offends you, remove it. I wasn;t here to drive traffic to my site. I posted this thread because I'm a single, working mom who does not have time to wade through sooo many stories and didn;t see the harm in asking the other members what they liked. Sorry to have so offended you. I'm a little confused. As for the slash fics, I did say that my site was in need of them because I don't really have any. The reason for that is because I can;t stand them. I don;t know why that would upset you.

18. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Another fic is Chimera, more snake than lion and Fayr Warning's fic (don't recall the name right now).

19. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    What's so counfusing about this site? Read the rules, abide by the rules. Read the stickies, abide by the stickies. If an Admin says shut up, shut up. If a Mod says shut up, shut up. If Xiph0 says something to you, take it, and listen. He may be harsh about how he says it, but he's usually right about what he says. Don't bump, don't post-whore, don't double post. Easy.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

That "rule page" is a global announcement.

Almost every single member of DLP loathes slash, why the fuck do you come knocking on our door asking for recc's?

Jesus, go to a Snarry site.

Personally, the idea of a woman old enough to have children actively seeking out fiction in which two teenage boys [or a teenager and his teacher] buttfuck, creeps me the fuck out.

No one said you had to cater to everyone with your "archive", don't like slash? Here's an idea, don't fucking host it.

Not open for further replies.