1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fic search

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Egyptian Flame, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Egyptian Flame

Egyptian Flame First Year

Hello Everyone,
    can anybody point me to a well written story where Harry is Dumbledore's apprentice?

2. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Firstly, did you not read the thread Mid posted about "Looking for" topics? Posting this kind of stuff simply annoys other members and the admins. Secondly, there's a SEARCH link in the control panel. USE IT. And finally, if all else fails, GOOGLE IT. There is no excuse for this kind of stupidity, and many other members won't be nearly as kind as I am being right now.

3. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Do you know who is this guy? He is one of the greatest authors out there so we can certainly forgive him for this minor thing.

On the topic: I haven't read good Harry Dumbledor's Apprentice story yet.

4. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I've never read any of his stuff, so no, I did not in fact know who he was.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ineedbettername, you need a better brain sometimes. Think before you type. Egyptian Flame is a vastly better author than the majority of the people on this site, yourself included, and this a place where that sort of skill counts.

He may not say that he checked the library, but it is very likely that he did. Mid does not say anywhere, that you are not allowed to post a looking for thread here, just that you must check the library first. He does not say, when in doubt, forget this forum of highly experienced fanfic readers, and go google it, which will no doubt turn up thousands of AD/HP slash fics.

"Specific type of fic thats hard to find", to start with any well written fic is hard to find, even in the library these days. Next he is very specific about the type of fic, and there are very few out there.

So think before you type, and respect better authors.

Flame, as with Shnitzel I have yet to read a good Dumbledore apprentices Harry fic. I have read a few ok ones, but they weren't good enough to ensure that I kept the link or remembered the name. Sorry.

6. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Your glib sense of humor makes my heart quake in agony. Stfu.

Listen...you need to stop being uppity. Just because he's a good author doesn't mean he hasn't made a mistake, okay? There's no need to lay into ineedbettername for such a stupid reason. And don't be hypocritical. You just went on in the Necrophilia thread about people laying into newbies...don't turn around and yell for a completely legitimate response.

If he had searched for the fic, he should have mentioned it in his post. Simple as that...ineedbettername's reaction was a little over the top, but entirely warranted all the same.

EgyptianFlame: No, I haven't found a fic like that which is any good. Search through the C2s on FFNet, though, and you might find one.

Edit: Actually, there is a H/G fic on FFNet somewhere. I don't recall the name, but a faction of Goblins are working with Voldemort to creat gold...in some tunnel under Gringotts. Harry duels Dumbledore to a draw, and fights Voldemort inside the tunnel...my memory of it is vague. If you don't mind Harry/Ginny, then its a good fic.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  7. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

Sure we can forgive him, but that won't save him form the same ribbing we give everyone else who posts looking for topics, especially such vague ones. If we start letting some of our more prominent members post looking for topics like this, then it would be hypocritical to bash newbs for doing the same. I don't care who the hell you are, read the damn rules.

8. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

I think thats its a reasonable request. There are many fics of this description around but its hard to find one with a DLP theme running through it.

Here's one by one of our members, a few spelling/grammer errors and a bit short but a good start to a fic:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2887466/1/

9. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

I haven't read this one myself, but it might be what your looking for. Recommended but ip82 in this thread:

Title: The Rise of the Gray Lord
    Author: TheDarkestAngel16
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure/General
    Pairings: H/Hermione (probably of soul-mates type)
    Summary: TAKEN UP AGAIN. Harry prepares for the future after the events of his Fifth year. With the help of Dumbledore he begins training himself in both light and dark magic.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2091668/1/

It seems to have gotton some positive feedback in the thread, but it's only rated as 3/5, average.

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

There's tons of mentor type fics, like sib-ff's that Yarggh hinted at in his edit. I think Abraxan's series went that way (that I've not been able to work my way through those fics).

But one's with an official declaration of apprenticeship and such? Hmm...

Grand Griffon has a decent Dumbledore's apprentice fic. 6th year is done, 7th year I think is abandoned. (November of 2004? Yeah I think it's safe to call it abandoned.)

Traveller's Path to Power is another that comes to mind.

There's not much to it yet, but one of my favorites, a post-HBP Harry apprentices to Dumbledore fic is Avitus's A Will to Succeed here on the forum: http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=218

It's not exactly a terribly original concept because the mentor type relationship can do just about the same as an apprenticeship.

11. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

I think the one Yarrgh! was talking abot was " The Awakening Power " by " Sib-ff "

12. Egyptian Flame

Egyptian Flame First Year

I would like to thank all of you who provided answers for my question and I would also like to apologize. As you can see, I only posted five or six times and not because i'm short on topics to discuss but i rarely visit DLP and when i do so it's always to check the Library for new addition of well written stories. I have read the rules the first time i subscribed here but if i forgot or weren't aware of one of them, then I am sorry. I thought search on ff.net but i can't just write "Harry is Dumbledore's apprentice" especially if i'm looking for a well written one, as most Authors usually use this during the writing of their fics, but not in summeries.

Again, thank you and i apologize.
    Egyptian Flame.