1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Stranger Trilogy by serpant sorcerer - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Part I

Title: A Stranger In An Unholy Land
    Author: serpant-sorcerer
    Rating: M
    Category: Action/Adventure/Mystery
    Chapters: 17
    Words: 470,388
    Updated: April 25, 2007
    Published: July 14, 2004

Summary: Days before his 6th year, Harry Potter is sucked into another universe by forces not of this world. Dazed and confused, Harry finds himself in a world where his parents are alive, where Voldemort has never fallen and he is Voldemort's key enforcer.
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1962685/1/
    Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stranger_trilogy/

Part II

Title: A Stranger In The Promised Land
    Rating: M
    Category: Mystery/Action
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 109,659
    Updated: January 16, 2008
    Published: June 14, 2007

Summary: Harry Potter thought that he had found a way home but something went wrong. Now he finds himself trapped in another dimension, in which someone else was cursed with the famous scar, and Tom Riddle never became the Dark Lord.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3592984/1/A_Stranger_in_the_Promised_Land

Checked by Minion, February 4, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

3. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Just read the story. I agree that it can be a little bit slow at times but overall one of the best HP fanfics I have read.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yeah, now it's starting to move a bit faster, with a lot more action involved.

5. cmuylistoooo

cmuylistoooo Fourth Year

i thought i saw this here before...oh wells..

if u join the authors yahoo group, the next chapter is already there and the fic is updated much faster and how much of the next chapter is left as well...

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

never really got into this story... ill admit its decent but its just not my thing

7. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

got to the part where he's in the hospital, then lost intrest... might pick it up again... it was decent, but not all that great

8. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Must certainly agree with Vash not my type of story, *shrugs* gave it shot though.

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yeah, Alternate Dimensions is probably my favorite genre, and this is the best story in it. But I guess some people could not like it.

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Good idea and writing style, but I don't like the fact that this is one of those Dark!Harry stories where the focus is on Harry battling his "inner darkness", instead kicking some ass. The author should have merged two personalities and created Grey kick-ass Harry, instead of leaving a goody-good Gryffindor pansy, who has to call up on his other psycho personality to fight effectively.

11. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

The author just updated today and all in all it's a pretty good chapter especially that 'Artic Thunder' thing.

12. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I finally got around to reading Chapter Thirteen and lordy this story is really starting to take off. It's his longest chapter yet, and that's saying something considering how massive his chapters and plans are.

I know fanfiction.net only has up to Chapter Twelve, but anytime he posts to fanfiction.net he has the next chapter up on his yahoogroup (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stranger_trilogy/ if you're interested). The sheer scope, breadth, power, and detail in this fic is really starting to shine. It's massive size is intimidating, but I think this Voldemort and the way he's taking over is one of the best and most clever Voldemort's I've ever seen. Truly cunning Heir of Slytherin machinations and mayhem. Not purely violence and gore as many seem to minimalize Voldemort into.

Early on, it was fine and didn't do much for me, but now we're at the point where I'm happily recommending the fic wholeheartedly. As a warning, it does have 'phoenix animagus!Harry' which is a bit cliche, but quite frankly without that, there would be no hope at all. As it is, things are looking plenty grim as the light is nearly lost at the moment. Really good story. And the more I think about it, the best Voldemort I can remember reading. Not as in you're rooting for him, or he's really evil or we give two shits about his emotions. Just pure tactical genius and deviousness. And still a complete badass wizard that barely any could hope to match.

13. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Wow, I'm sold.

I dropped this around that Vampire attack coz I didn't like pansy angsty Harry, who's bending over backwards to apiese the mudblood bitch and refuses to use dark arts, the little wuss... ahm, yes... But after this, I just might start reading it again.

14. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Yeah, I'd say it's primarily the last 2-3 chapters have just come alive for me. And read the yahoo group so you can read the new chapter.

The whole fighting the darkness stuff was semi-dealt with when his occlumency started working, and so he can now control himself and still call on some of that 'dark' knowledge. This story does maintain that 'dark' stuff is for the most part evil, and 'addictive' or the potential for corruption is there, but it's not some goody-goody heavy-handed crap. It's intelligent and impressive.

I found Harry annoying and childish at parts early on. He was acting a bit like an idiot, and portrayed as such, but he is growing up and quickly becoming the Harry we want him to be. I think it's mainly Jono knows what we want our hero to be, and he wants it to. Just that Jono is making Harry work up to it and earn it rather than simply giving it to him.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Nice, glad to see some support for this fic. I absolutely loved the last chapter, extremely satisfying after the long wait. I agree, Jono's Voldemort is probably one of the best I've ever seen.

16. Blackstar

Blackstar Second Year

Id have to agree with this, i remember this story when he was still writing emerald sceptre [ anyone know why he stopped:(] Voldemort in this is aboslutely devious and the way hes taken over so effectively is amazing, but i dont really care much for this Goody Goody Harry, Hes entirely to reliant on His other personalities abilities but it would make sense considering he actually didnt learn much in the way of fighting during his school days but i still expected him to assimilate more knowledge and become bad ass and smack Granger around whenever she bothered him with those damn questions.. but you do gotta love how hes stringing Draco along, its a great story nonetheless and i look forward to its ever increasing in length chapters

17. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I just read the last 4 chapters and I must say - nonjon was completely right. This story is getting better and better.

His Voldemort is absolutely brilliant, exactly as he should be. It's nice to see such elaborate planning and execution from the Heir of Slytherin, instead of insane idiot sending other idiots to pillage & burn and then crucio them when they return. Oh, and that twist at the end of chapter 12 was probably one of the best moment in HP fanfiction ever.

Unfortunately, I was pretty pissed off by chapter 13. I mean, he went even beyond cannon in condemning the Dark Arts. OK I can live with that. But I can't with totall inability of Harry or any other Order member to come up with any remotely useful plan, as well as their reluctance to step down from the fucking self-righteous throne and do something to fight back. I mean, if they don't have the guts to outhright assasinate the minister and his lackeys, couldn't they at least do what Voldemort did and, instead of having Harry play with Crouch, capture him and have Snape extract info about Voldemort's opperation (and Dumbledore's location)? What, too immoral? Isn't the whole point of the story to paint how ruthless and gray a war is? I mean, nobody ever won a war by stunning their enemies and then escaping. Don't Order members even want to win? Self-righteous 'thou shall not kill' Order members somewhat work in fluffy teenage romances, but not in a realistical story about gory civil war against a ruthless opponent.

Not to mention that that whole "Student uprising" thing was completely idiotic on Harry's part, not to mention coppied from Barb's "Time of good intentions". Instead of fighting back against the Ministry, Harry will only end up getting all his friends killed and giving Voldemort an excuse to squeze Hogwarts even tighter. Stupid self-righteous little fuck.

18. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

*pats Ip on the head*

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

*smacks hand away and sticks his tongue out*

20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

But yeah, that shit annoys the hell outta me as well. Let's defeat Voldemort by casting a tickling charm at him! w00t!